The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2022, 08:13 PM   #1
cericd

Difficulty Inserting & Removing Key

Back home in Texas I felt like it was more difficult than it should be to insert the key into the ignition of my truck. Well, now that I’m in Clolorado, and it’s much colder, it’s quite a bit worse and is also noticeable when removing the key. I’m sure the temperature is making it worse and I assume the solution involves lubrication but I’ve read in other threads that the wrong lubricant can eventually make things worse by attracting dust and dirt.

Here’s a video that shows what I’m experiencing. Even though it may sound like it, it isn’t difficult to turn the ignition in either direction but it is difficult to insert and remove the key.

https://youtu.be/Y73Kf6CZTYk

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:32 PM   #2
sick472

Re: Difficulty Inserting & Removing Key

I've always had good luck with graphite powder to loosen up ignition switches, But I have to say that I used some on my 85 K20 and it hasn't needed a key since...lol.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:14 PM   #3
truckster

Lock Doc is the most knowledgeable guy I know of on the subject. He says stay away from graphite. Dry spray lube seems to be the best.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:57 PM   #4
prodjay10

Graphite lube, or just replace the lock and key.
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:28 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-

Chris,

If you have a small fine round file try filing down the points on the key cuts a little bit as in the picture below. It doesn't take much. Try the oddball key first. Also lube the lock.

The reason I don't recommend using graphite is because most people don't know how to use it. It is a good lubricant in small amounts but there is no way to regulate how much you are dispensing from the container. I have disassembled lock cylinders that had so much graphite in them that the key wouldn't slide all the way into the lock. When it gets wet it turns into a gummy mess.

I recommend using something like "ZEP45 with Teflon" or "Blaster Advanced Dry Lube" with Teflon. They contain a dry lube but it is micro fine particles. I find that the Blaster works the best for locks.

Just my 2¢ worth. (with 44 years of experience)

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-15-2022 at 10:52 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:47 PM   #6
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post

LockDoc
2¢ worth with 44 years worth of interest (compounded daily) turns out to be worth a lot.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:16 PM   #7
cericd

Quote:
-

Chris,

If you have a small fine round file try filing down the points on the key cuts a little bit as in the picture below. It doesn't take much. Try the oddball key first. Also lube the lock.

The reason I don't recommend using graphite is because most people don't know how to use it. It is a good lubricant in small amounts but there is no way to regulate how much you are dispensing from the container. I have disassembled lock cylinders that had so much graphite in them that the key wouldn't slide all the way into the lock. When it gets wet it turns into a gummy mess.

I recommend using something like "ZEP45 with Teflon" or "Blaster Advanced Dry Lube" with Teflon. They contain a dry lube but it is micro fine particles. I find that the Blaster works the best for locks.

LockDoc
Hey Leon,

I picked up some of the Blaster Advanced Dry Lube, Should I spray a short burst directly into the ignition cylinder or spray the key then insert and remove it a few times? The locks work fine it's the ignition that's giving me trouble. Also, is there a particular type of file you would recommend for filing down the key points?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2022, 02:40 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Hey Leon,

I picked up some of the Blaster Advanced Dry Lube, Should I spray a short burst directly into the ignition cylinder or spray the key then insert and remove it a few times? The locks work fine it's the ignition that's giving me trouble. Also, is there a particular type of file you would recommend for filing down the key points?

Thanks

Short burst into the key hole. Be sure and shake it good first.

Just a small fine hobby file.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hobby+file...ages&ia=images

Any hardware or Harbor Freight should have them.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #9
A1971Blazer

Name:  lock lube.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  30.8 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:31 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
Yup, that would probably work OK too. I will have to go read on it to see what it has in it....

EDIT: OK, I went and checked it out. No graphite. I wouldn't hesitate to use that then. Good reviews

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-16-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:21 AM   #11
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Yup, that would probably work OK too. I will have to go read on it to see what it has in it....

EDIT: OK, I went and checked it out. No graphite. I wouldn't hesitate to use that then. Good reviews

LockDoc
I use it for much more than locks…it makes a decent lubricant without the oily mess like WD40 or similar products
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:10 PM   #12
cericd

I noticed that my new can of B'laster Advanced Dry Lube doesn't say "with Teflon." I figured maybe they left it off because Teflon is a brand and maybe they had switched to the generic P.T.F.E. so, I decided to call the company and ask. Turns out that it no longer contains Teflon or P.T.F.E. I asked why that was and the guy said "due to all the Teflon lawsuits, our lawyers recommended that we get rid of it." He said it now contains something called H.D.P.E. Amide Wax and that it will perform just as well as the previous version.

I looked online for locksmith approved lock lubes and one that kept showing up is Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant - Formulated with P.T.F.E. However, I noticed that it is not listed as a "dry" lubricant.

Leon, are you familiar with this product? Would it be a good bet to use in my sticky ignition cylinder?

Old 01-18-2022, 08:25 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Good to know that lube......Wholly cow, I think I have 25 types already, gets confusing after a while.

Easy to replace if need be.

I wonder if the fine lock cyls kits are still available? Thought I had a back-up, doesn't appear I do.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:45 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I noticed that my new can of B'laster Advanced Dry Lube doesn't say "with Teflon." I figured maybe they left it off because Teflon is a brand and maybe they had switched to the generic P.T.F.E. so, I decided to call the company and ask. Turns out that it no longer contains Teflon or P.T.F.E. I asked why that was and the guy said "due to all the Teflon lawsuits, our lawyers recommended that we get rid of it." He said it now contains something called H.D.P.E. Amide Wax and that it will perform just as well as the previous version.

I looked online for locksmith approved lock lubes and one that kept showing up is Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant - Formulated with P.T.F.E. However, I noticed that it is not listed as a "dry" lubricant.

Leon, are you familiar with this product? Would it be a good bet to use in my sticky ignition cylinder?

I had a can of Tri-Flow years ago but I bought a can of ZEP45 when that ran out because I couldn't find the Tri-Flow. I don't think I had the "Superior" though. I know the manufacturers change the formula every once in a while. Usually it is to make it cheaper to produce....

I would spray a little of the Blaster on your finger and rub them together until it dries and see how it feels If it feels slippery without leaving any heavy residue go ahead and use a little of it in the ignition.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-18-2022, 11:47 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Good to know that lube......Wholly cow, I think I have 25 types already, gets confusing after a while.

Easy to replace if need be.

I wonder if the fine lock cyls kits are still available? Thought I had a back-up, doesn't appear I do.

I don't have any more of the sets. With the product price increases and the postage increases it pretty much put me out of business on them.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-19-2022, 04:40 AM   #16
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
I don't have any more of the sets. With the product price increases and the postage increases it pretty much put me out of business on them.

LockDoc
Bummer doc. If you ever pick it up again I'm open for a few. Tell you what man, this covid business etc. has really put a stop on small business and especially specialty work. At this rate "NOS" stuff will soon be Chinese reproductions
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 01-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #17
BigBird05

If you find a ign lock cylinder buy it and send it to Lock Doc to have it re-keyed.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #18
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Bummer doc. If you ever pick it up again I'm open for a few. Tell you what man, this covid business etc. has really put a stop on small business and especially specialty work. At this rate "NOS" stuff will soon be Chinese reproductions
We will see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
If you find a ign lock cylinder buy it and send it to Lock Doc to have it re-keyed.
I can certainly do that if the keyway is correct. Some years have different keyways and some are the same. This chart shows the year and key designations.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=246485

If you will notice the '67 uses the same key blank as '71 and '68 uses the same key blank as '72. The '69, and '70 are by themselves.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-19-2022, 01:25 PM   #19
cericd

UPDATE: I lubed the cylinder and all is good. I tried that first and it fixed it so I didn't bother with filing down the key points. I'm not sure how often I should lube this thing but I'd imagine it's more often than once every 10 years. Lol.

Notice how the key no longer sticks when inserting or removing.

https://youtu.be/1eHdSnlmKtc

Old 01-19-2022, 02:41 PM   #20
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
UPDATE: I lubed the cylinder and all is good. I tried that first and it fixed it so I didn't bother with filing down the key points. I'm not sure how often I should lube this thing but I'd imagine it's more often than once every 10 years. Lol.

NICE!............I just ordered the stuff.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:14 PM   #21
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

Good deal. It looks like it works pretty smooth. You may not have to lube it again. Once the key and wafers get worn in a little bit it should be fine.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-19-2022, 06:10 PM   #22
cericd

Quote:
Good deal. It looks like it works pretty smooth. You may not have to lube it again. Once the key and wafers get worn in a little bit it should be fine.

LockDoc
I ended up using the Tri-Flow spray. I had already returned the B'laster lube since it no longer had the Teflon and the Tri-Flow has P.T.F.E. I'm not sure how smoothly the cylinder should turn (seems almost the same as before lubing) but the insertion and removal is a night and day difference. Smooth as silk now (was really grabby before).

I was wondering how often it would need lubrication. I've never lubed the ignition cylinder on my 2006 Mazda 3 (owned it since new) and it's never been difficult. Although, it gets driven much more frequently.

NOTE: If anyone wants to waste about 3 hours they can watch this locksmith's LUBE-OFF where he tests about 20 different lubes on some Schlage cylinders and deadbolt latches. There are 3 parts that span the course of 3 years, each is about an hour long. I know I'm crazy, I find this type of stuff interesting (I did fast forward quite a bit through parts 2 and 3).

Here's a link to Part 1: https://youtu.be/xvcag34gF6k

Last edited by cericd; 01-19-2022 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 01-20-2022, 12:41 PM   #23
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Seems like having some of that Tri-Flow spray on hand is a good idea so I ordered some. Thank you for this post and the links to the YouTubes - good information.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote