The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2022, 11:58 AM   #1
nikwho

LS1 brakes on Ford 9"?

Hello all,
I recently completed an "LS1" brake swap on my '59 Apache. However, I have more recently purchased a Currie 9" housing (5x4 3/4" lug pattern) that I will install with my new 4-link & coilover setup. I would like to not buy another complete brake setup. Is there bracketry that will allow me to run my LS1 rear brakes on my new Currie 9" housing.

Thanks much!

Nik
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2022, 04:53 PM   #2
nikwho

Re: LS1 brakes on Ford 9"?

I put this under suspension, as it is part of my coilover/4-link suspension upgrade. Though, it is perhaps more of a drive train question. I don't think that there is a brake specific section.

To provide a bit more pertinent information, my '59 currently has a 10 bolt rear axle out of a '79 Camaro. That is the axle that I did the "LS1" brake conversion on. I'm quite happy with my current brake setup. Recently replaced my booster, master cylinder, proportioning valeve, all lines, added a line lock and Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve on the rear brakes. New cross drilled and slotted rotors on all four corners, along with new calipers and nice brake pads. It took me a while to get it all dialed in. I'd greatly prefer to leave brakes as is, and go from the current GM 8.5" 10 bolt axle, to the new Currie Enterprises 9" housing. It's got new chro-moly axles, drilled to Chevy lug pattern, an Eaton posi unit, and 3.55:1 ring and pinion. I need to measure the axle ends to verify which 9" ends the axle has. The LS1 brake swap included the mechanical drum parking vrakes inside of the rotors, which I have yet to hook up, but intend to. I really want the parking brake, as I plan on swapping to a T-56 six speed next. The truck currently has a TH-350 in it.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:10 PM   #3
LS short box

So on a 66 Mustang project I did I used a 9". I used 97 Camaro rear disc brakes that have an e-brake built into the caliper. I made the caliper bracket with some help from a local machine shop. The caliper bracket is also the the axle retainer. See the pics.
If you decide to use the 1998 Camaro rear caliper brakes I would contact Tobin at Kore3. He has every thing you need. I've used his 9" kit on a different project and it was a total bolt on and worked great
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:12 PM   #4
nikwho

Love it. Thanks so much!
Old 07-20-2022, 09:16 PM   #5
LS short box

On another project I did a 67 Nova here is a pic of the Tobin Kore3 kit on a 9". I would talk to Tobin and see if some of your Camaro stuff can be reused.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:52 AM   #6
biketopia

Reach out to Currie, they make a 9" option for the LS1 F body and the guys just swap their backing plates over to keep their stock brakes. If it's already manufactured and you can't swap the ends if they are an issue then I'd reach out to Kore3 like shot box mentioned.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:01 AM   #7
nikwho

Brilliant. I will do that!
Old 08-01-2022, 07:15 AM   #8
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwho View Post
Brilliant. I will do that!
Let us know how it goes!

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:29 PM   #9
HAULIN' IT

Just saw this & assume you have found your answer, but if not...the answer to your question is Yes, however the ideal way is to have the rear built with GM ends. They have the GM bolt pattern (same as your '70's Camaro) but with the Ford big bearing size bore. You get the axle set-out made to GM spec (1/4" more than the Ford) when you order the axles & it all goes together.
Im not sure Currie makes them though. The nicest ones Ive used come from Chris Alston Chassisworks & Moser. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-7900?rrec=true Unlike the ones made by Strange (& others) the Alston/Moser ones have the bore for the correct seal when using the ball bearing.
If you have someone local with an alignment bar, you could likely have this done for about the same amount as a new brake set-up. Since you have the axles already, you could just use a 1/4" spacer between the axle & rotor to "fix" the difference in the set-out amount.
Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote