The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2022, 11:26 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Air over leaf set ups.

Please let's not start with why it's a bad idea. I know most of them.

Well I removed my old leafs, and put in some rebuilt ones I did. I re-arched them to match after building a jig for my press. Well technically they after better then my old ones. They only sag 1.5" to the passenger side not the 2.5" my factory one's did. Winning right.

Well I need the truck lifted back up not just sagging all the time till I can afford new leaf springs made to my specs. Factory 56" are too stiff for a rcsb. The springs I want are $1500. Or I have to move a bunch of stuff around to clear a pan hard bar for a 4 link, and just air bag the whole thing.

Currently I am financially deep in what was supposed to be a engine swap into the truck, but turned into. I will just fuel inject it for the time being till when my hand heals up again. Plus my Durango has been putting a hurt me real bad too. So it's needs to be on the cheap till things line up again for me, and Abe Lincoln is crying from the penny pinching. I already have the bags, and line to fab up helper air bags. The bags are Slam SS7's I believe or 8's. Can't remember right now.

I know the biggest reason air over leaf is bad is most people remove all the leafs except the main. Which cracks from bending the wrong way, and the lack of support.

What if i ran the 2 big leafs, and the bottom leaf. Or just the main leaf, and the bottom leaf. Is there a decent way to pull this off for a few months
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Air over leaf set ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
Please let's not start with why it's a bad idea. I know most of them.

Well I removed my old leafs, and put in some rebuilt ones I did. I re-arched them to match after building a jig for my press. Well technically they after better then my old ones. They only sag 1.5" to the passenger side not the 2.5" my factory one's did. Winning right.

Well I need the truck lifted back up not just sagging all the time till I can afford new leaf springs made to my specs. Factory 56" are too stiff for a rcsb. The springs I want are $1500. Or I have to move a bunch of stuff around to clear a pan hard bar for a 4 link, and just air bag the whole thing.

Currently I am financially deep in what was supposed to be a engine swap into the truck, but turned into. I will just fuel inject it for the time being till when my hand heals up again. Plus my Durango has been putting a hurt me real bad too. So it's needs to be on the cheap till things line up again for me, and Abe Lincoln is crying from the penny pinching. I already have the bags, and line to fab up helper air bags. The bags are Slam SS7's I believe or 8's. Can't remember right now.

I know the biggest reason air over leaf is bad is most people remove all the leafs except the main. Which cracks from bending the wrong way, and the lack of support.

What if i ran the 2 big leafs, and the bottom leaf. Or just the main leaf, and the bottom leaf. Is there a decent way to pull this off for a few months
It's mainly done w/one leaf because of the ride height desired.

You can set-it up any way you need for the ride height you're targeting.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 12:25 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

The ride height is fine on the driver side. With a slightly worn leaf which still has a good bit of curve.

I don't want to do it, but I need 2 vehicles. So I can leave the truck in back up, and only drive it when I need to. Or a couple times a month to keep it lubricated.

So my though is if I run the main leaf, and atleast the bottom. It stops the main from taking a beating on the small foot print of the mount.

Is that pretty much true in concept.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:34 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
The ride height is fine on the driver side. With a slightly worn leaf which still has a good bit of curve.

I don't want to do it, but I need 2 vehicles. So I can leave the truck in back up, and only drive it when I need to. Or a couple times a month to keep it lubricated.

So my though is if I run the main leaf, and atleast the bottom. It stops the main from taking a beating on the small foot print of the mount.

Is that pretty much true in concept.
I would imagine the stress points are @ the leaf ends (near the eyes) & @ the rear end mounting pad perimeter.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:18 PM   #5
bnorth

Should be fine to add a bag over the leaf. It would just be like an overload airbag which is common for hauling weight or towing trailers. My daily has them and has for 5+ years.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:04 PM   #6
HAULIN' IT

I installed "overload" bags from superlift or whatever that common company that makes kits for that purpose. I did not like the idea of the bag sitting on /clamping to the spring (the way the kit was designed) so I cut the brackets & moved some things a bit & have them sitting directly on the axle housing (I have a flipped rear) & it has worked great for years. I keep just a few pounds in them when the bed is empty & air them up to maintain the same ride height as it would be empty when using "as a truck". I removed the heavy "overload" spring from the pack long ago so I have 4 leaves now. Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote