The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

Engine Blew, recommendations?

1969 GMC 2500 Custom Camper 350/4spd Work Truck with Ram's Horns just lost a piston and rod is clanking around. Engine had ~100,000 miles and had recently overheated after fan belt failure.
Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement and I see this "Chevy Performance" Base Engine" on summit for $2245 shipped. Is this the best option? I don't "need" a lot of power. The stock 350 I had in there was adequate but if I could get a little more torque that would be good too.Of course Vortec heads would be a good plus too but I'd need a new Intake. I'll have to pay a shop to do the swap but that's another thread.

Anybody have one of these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...1429/overview/ engines or know of a better option? Thanks, Brian
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Engine Blew, recommendations?

-
I have bought a couple of the Jegs crate small blocks and have had good luck with them.

Edit: Link I posted didn't work. They have quite a few different ones posted on eBay.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
rpmerf

Best is very subjective.

That engine has less power (slightly) and torque than the factory engine in my 70 C20 Custom Camper with the 9.0:1 compression engine. Not sure if yours has the 8.0:1 or the 9.0:1 engine.

Chevrolet Performance should be reputable. Looking into rebuilt and crate engines, I am more interested in who built it than what the specs are.

No bad reviews on Summit Racing is a good thing. Lots of questions to help figure out if this is the right engine for you.

I'm not sure how engine mounts work with a later engine in these trucks. Shouldn't be an issue, just something to consider.

If you look at engines with Vortec heads, be aware of the fuel pump. Vortec came out in ~95 and by that point the blocks no longer had provisions for a mechanical fuel pump. Looking at crate engines, you can certainly have Vortec heads and a mechanical fuel pump, just something to watch out for.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
randy500
Account Suspended

Those are great engines and almost identical to original. Previously known and marketed as goodwrench engines.
Everything on your engine will bolt on.
Very low problem rate with those and great warranty.
100% new and very long service life.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
weim55

I've done a few of the Vortec cam roller motors in early trucks over the years. It is an upgrade and stock for stock it does have slightly more power. That said I would pass on the Vortec motor and stay with the early design, here's why:

Having to run an electric fuel pump has it's problems, noise, poor quality pumps that don't last, labor costs to configure and install. To do an electric pump correctly to absolve the above issues requires an in tank pump with a proper regulator and return line system. All labor and $$$........

If you have AC the brackets on the intake manifold won't work on the vortec, you'll have cut and fabricate to make 'em work.

As mentioned in another post, you’ll have to purchase an intake manifold as the early style will not fit vortec heads. In addition to that you will almost certainly run into some type of issues with carburetor/linkage that will require some kind of modification. If you’re going to retain the original Quadra jet carburetor there are no automatic choke provisions to match your original intake with any aftermarket Vortec intake manifold.

Exhaust ports are slightly higher on the vortec heads and sometimes the exhaust headpipes will have fitament issues.

Flywheels are different too, you will need one for a one piece rear main 350 (Vortec).

The bottom line is while the vortec is damn near a bolt in it does have enough differences to create issues to overcome with time and $$. Not a good thing if you are paying a shop to do the work. In your case I would keep it simple and keep it stock.......

Steve weim55 Colorado

Last edited by weim55; 10-22-2019 at 01:00 PM.
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
68 P.O.S.

Here's my recommendation

https://falconerengines.com/falconer_v12.php
Old 10-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
68 P.O.S.

Or go for an LS swap https://www.motor1.com/news/377022/i...ls-v12-crate-e
Old 10-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #8
WorkinLonghorn

Thanks for all of the replies. I found a local guy who might be able to rebuild mine or at least help with the R+R but it looks dicey. If I need to get a crate I may just go with the one I linked to (GM performance base).

LockDoc, I looked on Ebay for Jegs and the only one I saw for my year truck got one star rating from the only 3 guys who reviewed it. Kinda discouraging. If you find the link for the ones you like please post it up. https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-7353-S...QAAOSwZV1cUbFr
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
matthew.mcmullin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
If you've got 55K laying around for that engine you're probably not worried about anything else.
matthew.mcmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:39 AM   #10
jimijam00

I've got an old iron 427, so I can't really help ya on what to get. I can tell you that you can do an engine swap in your driveway over a day or two with a buddy who has done a few, a camera to take pics on the removal so you know where everything goes on the install, and a bunch of cold beer. It does not get any easier than this.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Do that new motor and keep involvement with the shop minimal with a quality engine backed by a manufacturer's warranty

EDIT:

LSitMan! LSitMan! LSitMan!

Sorry, I had to come back and do that

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #12
wesmigletz

I've used this one with good results. It will eliminate as many variables as possible. Install with a new water pump for reliability.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-1...53.m1438.l2649
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
un4gvn!

Get one of the GMPerformance engines from Summit or Jegs. Direct bolt in using all your attachments. Stay away from eBay. Lots of crooks on eBay.
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #14
wesmigletz

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn! View Post
Get one of the GMPerformance engines from Summit or Jegs. Direct bolt in using all your attachments. Stay away from eBay. Lots of crooks on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-1...STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The link I posted has a 99.7% positive feedback and over 29,000 transactions. I wouldn't hesitate to use them. If the price is lower than Summit or Jegs, he could ask them to price match. He could also ask a local GM dealer to do the same.
1964 Malibu SS
1957 Corvette
Pics
www.picturetrail.com/wesmigletz
wesmigletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #15
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn! View Post
Just to elaborate on a few other posts - Radley is a reputable Chevrolet dealer on the east coast that just happens to also have an ebay store. They also have a website, and they sell GM Goodwrench engines, just like Jegs and Summit. Usually for less money. I'm with you - I "fear" ebay too - but it's worth doing a little research before dismissing a great engine source just because they happen to also have an ebay store in addition to their brick n mortar and website stores.

WorkinLonghorn - I'm with Randy, your problem sounds like wiring to me. I'd start there. Hopefully not the cam, but try the easy stuff first at least. Good luck, very frustrating!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #16
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmigletz View Post
I've used this one with good results. It will eliminate as many variables as possible. Install with a new water pump for reliability.
I put this engine in my truck last year for the reasons he mentioned above. It's a good engine, and the seller was excellent to work with. That's Radley Chevrolet, they are a Chev dealer. If they aren't listing those engines anymore, I would find their phone number and give their parts dept a call. When I spoke to them on the phone (before clicking the "buy it now" on eBay) they were very helpful and easy to work with/ask questions, not to mention knowledgeable. I'm guessing they're still selling these engines, just maybe not on eBay for whatever reason right now. If nothing else, give them a call to see what they can do for you.

I had a friend out in my truck this past weekend. He had never ridden in it before and when we came down the entrance ramp to get on the freeway, he said, "The old girl's got some get up and go in her" It's certainly no race car, but does have decent enough pull for my tastes. This engine is not only brand new, but about as close as you're going to get to what came in these trucks back in the day.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #17
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmigletz View Post
I got this engine through Radley also, it has been great, has been in the truck over 2 1/2 years now with no problem...I highly recommend this
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #18
WorkinLonghorn

You guys are great. A lot of good info here. I was away visiting my 98 year-old dad so just getting back to you.

Wesmigletz, that guy is MIA. "This seller is currently away, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later." And his link shows no items for sale in any category. But thanks for the lead.

I suppose I could do the R+R in the driveway where it sits now although it is on a slant and I'm not sure how that would work out. I've done one before, just 39 years ago with a buddy and lots of beer as suggested.

Truckster, it is dicey because it is a wheel+tire shop that used to handle my split-rims back in the day. I've known this guy for decades and he's a good guy but he has a guy working there who might be able to fix the engine or rebuild it but I haven't met this guy yet and I doubt that it would be a great option at this time. The shop owner knows all about the right way to do engines and I imagine that he would supervise. It's just that I will have to rent a truck to stay in business and I need someone to help me fast. I'm thinking that a crate GM lo-po to this shop and have them do the R+R. I'm not sure what the going rate is for this. Maybe $500?

Special-K. I would really love to have an LS!!! If I had a shop or any elbow room around here I would seriously consider a 6.0 or even a 5.3. Hell, a 4.8 would be an improvement. But I'm getting to the point where I put down a tool and then when I need it again it is gone, fallen into the black hole. And where is that gasket sealer I had right here? Oops I dropped the set key into the engine and the transmission won't line up. Na, I'll pay some guy to do the swap. I've been dreaming about a 383 torque motor and waiting for this engine to blow but now as they used to say in SE Asia "You cheap charlie!" And yep, it's always been true. -BA

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 10-22-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #19
REDROCKER652002

Good info, thanks for posting. My son and I are working a 1969 shortbed with a motor that is tired at best. He is an 18yo kid with no experience with how a beefed up motor will handle. My thought is a GM swap with a mild HP motor so he don't kill himself and it don't kill my wallet. LOL. Great info guys, just trolling. RR
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #20
WorkinLonghorn

Saxart, thanks for the info. The decision is made. It will be one of these 195 HP GM crate motors at $1894 delivered from Radley. I called them and they had to suspend EBay sales during the GM strike but he has one he can send me.
Weg92f, I looked at that option (Vortec) and I've dreamed for years about this upgrade but right now I don't need any extra expenditures such as Intake mani, flywheel, or whatever else comes up. I called one local shop and he wanted $1000 just for the R+R! My mindset now is to just get it back to work as painlessly as possible. Thanks though. -BA

Funny how my local GM performace dealer wants $2600 (plus 9.5% tax) for the same engine that I can get delivered for free from a place that is 2619 miles away in Fredericksburg Va. for $1894.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:24 AM   #21
saxart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Saxart, thanks for the info. The decision is made. It will be one of these 195 HP GM crate motors at $1894 delivered from Radley. I called them and they had to suspend EBay sales during the GM strike but he has one he can send me.
Weg92f, I looked at that option (Vortec) and I've dreamed for years about this upgrade but right now I don't need any extra expenditures such as Intake mani, flywheel, or whatever else comes up. I called one local shop and he wanted $1000 just for the R+R! My mindset now is to just get it back to work as painlessly as possible. Thanks though. -BA

Funny how my local GM performace dealer wants $2600 (plus 9.5% tax) for the same engine that I can get delivered for free from a place that is 2619 miles away in Fredericksburg Va. for $1894.

Nice! Keep us posted on the R&R. Remember, we like pictures!
Old 10-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

That place buys from GM at what is probably a 30% discount and put a little profit on it. Commercial shippers pay crazy cheap shipping. People blame fuel costs on the ever rising cost for us little people to ship our things. I believe what it is, with such a huge amount of products now being bought "mail order" and parcel carriers giving deep discounts to compete for contracts, our cost keeps going up.

So you paid $300 for the truck? You realize that you are now exceeding the purchase price of this vehicle with the cost of this repair . You can truly say it's like buying another truck. But it would be hard to find one today for the cost of this repair. You are buying a new life for the same truck is more like it. A truck you know and like.

I had an engine swapped in to my '92 in '06 and $1,000 was the shops standard charge for that. So, not too bad for today in your area I'd say

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #23
ManNamedJed

Before you install it would be a nice time to swap the cam. Cams are cheap, but a pain to install once its in the vehicle.

I used the Summit 1102, but wish I'd gone a bit more aggressive. Here's one to consider:
https://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/sum-1103

Do you still have points ignition? Also a good time to do a HEI swap.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #24
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post
Before you install it would be a nice time to swap the cam. Cams are cheap, but a pain to install once its in the vehicle.

I used the Summit 1102, but wish I'd gone a bit more aggressive. Here's one to consider:
https://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/sum-1103

Do you still have points ignition? Also a good time to do a HEI swap.
I thought of that and I still might slip in an RV stick. My truck tips the scales at ~5300 Lbs. with tools. With a load of gravel or 7 Yds. of mulch it is, well it's really heavy. Not sure that cam you linked would be correct in view of that.

My last truck, a '69 GMC 1500, had a 350 with an RV cam and it was a blast to drive (up to about 4,000 RPM). It would break a tire loose in second gear (465 manual trans) at ~15 MPH if you dropped the hammer and it had 33" tires and 3.07 gears. Of course it weighed 900 Lbs. less than my Longhorn. Thanks -BA
Old 10-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #25
5.3rambler

Did Radley give the crate engine a warranty and do u know if the warranty is good whether a DIY'er installs?

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by 5.3rambler; 10-27-2019 at 10:16 PM.
5.3rambler is offline   Reply With Quote