The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Cheeseman

Project "Home Wrecker"

I have been meaning to get a build thread started for a while but as we all know, life gets in the way. A short introduction to myself is that I am a midwestern farmer and have been into vehicle customization and motor sports (mainly offroad as of recent) my whole life. I decided last fall to part with my rock buggy and build a street truck, so this is the begining of my build and I will update as things take place....feel free to comment, poke fun or just call be out if you see that I am doing something way wrong or is a safety risk to others

I found an add on CL that had a "67 project truck" so I called and the guy lived in Alaska, it was at his moms and it was in the back of a field...and no title, cash only. Sounds a bit fishy, but I loaded the trailer and drove 3 hours with cash (and a .45 just in case) and once I got there everything was legit and even got a bill of sale. So it came with about 10 totes of parts and the bed was jammed full of parts...most unusable.

Once home I realized this was not what I wanted other then the bed, so I took it off and started on a search for another SWB that was a bit more complete. I stumbled across a 69 SWB that was again 3 hours away but this time the other direction. So once again off with the trailer and scored this truck that had been sitting in a guys barn awaiting a restoration and he gave up on it. Once home and a $50 tune up, we found out the fun way it has posi!

While there the guy mentions to me he has another 69 parts truck that he would throw in for FREE if I would go and get it out of his back yard, so I agreed to take it the next weekend.....as you can imagine, my wife is becoming rather "thrilled" with the new collection of trucks at this point. When I arrived to pick up the other truck he failed to tell me the springs were out of it and it had flat tires. It was too low to get on the trailer so creative thinking and a winch and I had it loaded and heading to the shop.

After getting it home, I decided that its cab is way better than the brown one and it is time to get to moving on things, so I pulled the teal cab off and it is currently at the body shop getting the new floors, rockers and cab corners in it....so much for being "better". I also pulled the bed off the SWB and started to prepare the frame for the c-notch and painting....

knowing that the frame needed prepped all over, and that I needed to pull the motor for this LS swap, I pulled the front clip...and decided to yank the cab at that point.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: Project "Home Wrecker"

Looks like a great project. 69-70...my favorite years too.Sounds like you have your plan all mapped out. Keep the pictures coming.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Cheeseman

Once I dig in on the frame preperation and hours of wire wheel work and one ruined harbor freight POS sand blaster and a tremendous mess, I stumbled across another board member on here selling a SWB frame that already has the same CPP c-notch in it as I have on the shelf, and it has been sandblasted and powder coated....and he is ready to move it for a VERY reasonable price. I decided after a few texts and a change of plans...you guessed it, loaded up the trialer and headed 5 hours to southern Missouri to pick up this frame and "transpalnt the project to it. I was also able to sell him my new C-notch kit to help offset the cost a bit.

I got home and was looking through a few threads on here and came across another member that was going to bags on his ride and had a like new set of drop spindles, 3"drop coils as well as all of the disk brake conversion and 5x5 swap items I would need for the front end. We struck a deal and I decided at that time that I would put a 73-87 subframe under the front to accept these spindles rather than mess with my worn out other stuff. After a few deliveries, I had the goods....

While at the local parts store I mention that I am in search of a 73-87 2wd truck for parts and the kid there said he had one that was just a rolling chassis...perfect!! $100 later it is at my house and I had the front section out in about 10 minutes with a torch and continued on the the scrap yard and recouped $68 back...and did mention that it had ralleys on it!?!. I disassembled the cradle and prepared it for paint. I also found a set of loaded upper control arms on Rock Auto for less than I could have put bushings and ball joints in the old ones, so I sprung for those.

Now that paint is on, it was time to install it and mock up the UCA's. I have opted to use grade 8 on virtually everything on this truck thus far, but unfortunatly the washers were not grade 8 and they are silver..oh well, I am not out to build a show truck. I also mocked up the PS box off the 73 donor, and all went well. It is now off and prepped for paint.

I had to run to KC a few weeks back and made a stop at Classic Parts, they are some good dudes there. I picked up a new set of rear coil retainers and a set of 5" rear drop springs. I tried to get a new lowered crossmember, but they did not stocks any. I decided to order one from CPP...I am 3 weeks in and still no notice of shipping and shows back ordered...should have known. So with no cross member, I could not mock up the trailing arms, so I just went ahead and installed the springs to the frame side.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
northern 85

Nice work!
northern 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Cheeseman

while at the swap meet a couple weeks back I saw a stepside tailgate stashed in a corner of a vendors area and asked if it was for sale, the lady said yes but we dont know what it fits...I assumed the huge louvered chevy bowtie would have given it away, bit regardless she said make and offer. I looked it over, it was 98% rust free and walked out with it for $50. Once home I cut the horrible welds off and uncovered an excellent stock chevrolet tailgate. Score!

So to this point I have the 2 swb frames taking up 1/2 the shop, the cab is still at the body shop, I have the rear axle pulled and getting ready to redrill the lugs for the 5x5 pattern and I have everything for a rear disk brake swap. I found a 67 C20 that has a very good front clip, so I am thinking that I am going to yet again hook up the trailer and head east to get it Saturday. I am going to put the 67 front clip on one of these projects, and the 69 clip on the other. I am still in search of a low milage LS for the one project, but I am considering using a I6 in the other as a parts runner or just beater cruiser. This will be a drawn out project, but hey, I built the shop to have a place to get away, eat nachos and enjoy a cold beverage with the gang. Every shop needs a nacho machine and hot dog roller.....
Old 03-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Cheeseman

A few days back I located a 1967 C20 that is in pretty good shape but has a hack job flat bed on it. The guy sent me a few pics and never mentioned a price, so after a few texts back and forth he said he would take $1000 for it and it runs and drive but just needs a pan gasket to make it a daily driver. I did not reply for a few hours due to being busy and he sends me another text "shoot me an offer, I need cash for this weekend"....wrong thing to tell me I had him send a few more pics and mentions he is open to about any offer above scrap plus $100. So to add fuel to the "too many junk trucks in the shop" fire my wife has going, I am rolling out Saturday to go pick this one up. Pics to follow after delivery. Looks to have a good front clip other then a spot of rust on the lower drivers side fender. I am guessing that we will get into more rust on the radiator support and such, but for this price the hood, grill, bumper and running motor out way the rust items...and I can alwys get some $ back by scraping it if need be.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #7
Spnknu

Not all of us Alaskans are as crazy as Sarah Palin made us out to be. Nice score on the original truck, and the other 2. I've pretty much started the same way, got one and then it multiplied.

Good luck with the build, I'll be watching this one.
Spnknu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

Please dont take this the wrong way, but you are cracking me up! I am the exact same way. In one week I brought home 3 trucks because they were a good deal or whatever. I had a rock crawler that I sold and a mud big truck that I parted out to make room because my 60x100 shop became quite small. I just hope your wife is as cool with it as mine, otherwise it could be a homewrecker project.
Looks like you have some great parts and trucks to get started, I will be following for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Low Elco

Great scores! I'd make a "patches" truck out of the best of the rest! Good stuff, I've gotta see where this goes!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
danospaintshop

damn things multiply don't they? I have 2 running trucks (kinda),and 4 parts trucks ( how does that happen ) i'm with Randy ,the nacho thing is funny . i'm in with the build ,looks killer . oh and the clean shop thing is getting a lil old ,lets see a lil dirt on the floor .lol . nice shop!
71' sbc cheyenne super
danospaintshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Cheeseman

Thanks guys, they seem to come in and multiply! I have seriously considered taking the front clip off this C20 and slapping on the old 69 front clip back on it and then shortening the rear frame on it and having a shortbed C20 for a beater shop truck since i have a beater SWB in the barn (a patches truck!). My wifes words of wisdom this morning were that if I continue to drag this stuff home then it better all fit in the sheds...good thing I have a 3 car garage, a 30x40 shop, a 40x80 Morton building, an old barn and a lean to shed (I will have to just leave the tractors and combine outside!) I guess I better send momma shopping this weekend b/c I have a feeling me and my buddy may be coming home with more than just this C20....the seller told me he has a small junk yard with lots of old hot rod and rat rod type stuff out there.....I am considering dragging out the 25' GN trailer! Oh and the shop is a mess in the parts you cant see, I am a bit anal about trying to keep my work area pseudo clean though

Cheese "it's just money!" Man
Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
Cheeseman

Well yesterday was a success of sorts, we got up and rolled out about 5:00 yestreday morning and got to the destination of the C20 (central Illinois) about 9:00 and after a quick walk around I knew this was good enough for what I was needing to pull home for parts, so $600 and I had it (with a title even!) up on the trailer and Missouri bound. So about 1/2 way home JR and I decide it was time to have to stop for some chow and discuss what to do with this thing. The consensus is that we will pull the front clip and cowl for "Home Wrecker" and throw on the 69 clip and we will chop the rear frame and slap the SWB on it that is in the barn. It will be the "patch work" project....a running, driving dropped short bed C20 for under $750 total is the goal, and it wont be pretty!! So any how, after the 4 hour tug home I stopped by the car wash and started on degreasing the motor just to clean it up a little and decided to wash the truck as well since it was covered in cow slobber and tree moss.....it cleaned up better than I expected, but I know it has some minor rust repair that will have to be done to be right. Here are a few pics of the ol girl.....

front clip for "Home Wrecker"

I had the itch to work in the shop last night since the wife and kiddo were out of town so I wrenched until about midnight and called it a day...being up from 4 AM to midnight was a power play thanks to Monster and Rockstar energy drinks...that stuff it too much for a guy like me, about felt like I was going to explode!! Note to self, dont do that again!! I got the LCA's, CPP 3" drop coils, 2.5" drop spindles and rotors installed on the front end of "Homewrecker" last night, will get pics later today when I get back out to the shop. I also put the last coats of paint on the steering box and will get it installed today as well. Will likely be heading to town and grab some lunch at the place that is convienently located next to the parts store....strange how that works.

Cheese "thank goodness for heated shops" Man
Old 03-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Low Elco

Great score! Love the shop truck idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Cheeseman

I have got a little side tracked this week from posting up the weekends progress pics. We have been calving hot and heavy and I am meeting myself coming and going it seems. Here are a couple of pics of the front end pseudo assembled and the steering box painted up and installed. Nothing too exciting, just a little progress.

steering box cleaned up and installed

coils, spindles, hubs, shocks, rotors and calipers mocked up.....

Cheese "almost a roller" Man
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
CC69Rat

Subscribed, looks great man!

Welcome from SE TN

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
Cheeseman

Thanks man, it has been a test of my OCD to get this far with out redoing my own work time after time I am hoping to order the 5x5 conversion axle shafts this week and that way I can tie up the rear end and have it as a roller in the coming weeks. UPS tracking says my CPP drop cross member is out for delivery today...thanks CPP...only a month in the waiting. Looking back, I could have easily made one of them in the shop. I have been pondering fabbing up a set of custom trailing arms since mine are rusty and have buldged in a few places. Having a small fab shop at home is nice at times...but all my buddies seem to want free work done! These machines dont pay for themselves
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
67cheby
67cheby

WOW, great collection ! LOL, that black front clip looks great !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
CC69Rat

Cheeseman explains the Nacho cheese machine on the work bench?
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 03-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
mjensen

I'm happy to share stories like this with my wife. I say "see I only have two projects" Looking good, and the shop setup is awesome!

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
chopnchaneled

I need a score card, i've lost track on how many truck you have
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
Cheeseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Cheeseman explains the Nacho cheese machine on the work bench?
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah, that is where it originated...I take it everywhere with me on trips...a power inverter and we have nachos to go! It was a hit at all the offroad events and it has became a staple at the shop. I am honestly suprised it is still running. It is now littered with stickers from the many places it has been , like a suitcase that has been around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopnchaneled View Post
I need a score card, i've lost track on how many truck you have
You and me both...as far as the 67-72 collection/mess I have going it started with:
The 67 stepper and I took the bed and sold the cab and rolling chasis to bguild here on the boards.
I picked up the 69 SWB (brown one in the pics) and still have it
The teal 69 long bed I kept the cab and scrapped the rest
I bought the frame in the pics that I am currently building on.
I just picked up the black 67 C20 that I am going to use the clip on "Home Wrecker" and may work it into a patches type truck
and I have an all original 70 C20 that was my wifes grandfathers (not pictured) and it is in rough shape but is one of the old faithful trucks we have on the farm...usually has the fuel tender tanks in it.

We wont get going on the other fleet of Toyotas or Ford PSD's that we have on the ranch/farms...

Cheese "lots of up keep and $ to keep this place rollin" Man
Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #22
Cheeseman

The brown suited Santa left this at the shop yesterday...it was only a month late, but I guess better late than never. It took about as long to install as it did to get unwrapped from all the packing. Not too hot on the silver powder coating, thinking about painting it black if I want to get it blasted...but it will at least match the CPP motor stands and tranny x member that I have coming as well. Nothing too exciting other then that yesterday. Hoping to get a call back on a wrecked truck w/ the LS motor in it I am looking for, going to try and buy the whole thing and pull motor, tranny, computer and harness.

Cheese "another day, another dollar" Man
Old 03-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
Cheeseman

Recieved a call back from the listing for the wrecked truck. Price is right and if this snow storm is not too bad that is coming this afternoon through tomorrow I will roll out tomorrow and spend yet another day on the road picking another truck up. It is a 99 w/ the 5.3 and I will hope fully have the motor, harness and computer etc pulled out over the next week or two.I am looking into what may need to be done or gone through since it was a roll over truck. Any suggestions will help. It was a light roll and was shut off immediatly. I am bringing a new battery and hope to be able to hear it run before I commit. I can easily part the rest for what I am giving for the whole thing. It was a LT and a 1 owner vehicle and supposedly the leather interior is spotless, other then the crushed roof (and maybe a stain in the drivers seat from the driver when the flipped!). Ha!
Cheese "almost sounds too good to be true" Man
Old 03-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
Cheeseman

Well, it was too good to be true I suppose. I had the truck and trailer hooked up and ready to head out and the guy emails me and says there is a local buyer there that will give him the same amount. He said he would still sell it to me but wanted an additional $500 to wait on me for 4 hours. I unhooked the trailer and said a few choice words and decided to continue my hunt elsewhere. I have a line on a full drive train in the Des Moines area and the price seems right as well...not in a huge hurry, last time I cecked there were a "few" 5.3's out there.

Cheese "still searching" Man
Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #25
CC69Rat

If he calls back, the price just dropped 500 where I come from. Just sayin.
Posted via Mobile Device