The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2022, 09:46 AM   #26
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: I'm going to blow up my garage

This reminds me of an old comic strip where someone is looking for their keys, which are laying on the kitchen table. When the person walks into the kitchen, they quickly morph into the salt and pepper shakers. It feels that way sometimes around here, as in, "I know I just looked there!".

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:40 PM   #27
72velle

Going in the other direction, I have occasionally found tools I never used.
I was using the hobby shop on base and the policy was that they would unlock and inventory the tool locker in your bay when you signed in, inventory and lock when you left. I got home after checking out and was checking my oil and found a 9/16 deep well socket. No idea where it came from. Same thing with a set of needle nose pliers a while later.
I have spent 5 minutes or so looking for my car keys, with them in my hand the whole time. More than once.
72velle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:52 PM   #28
special-K
Special Order

If anyone is looking for their sunglasses they are up on your head

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:20 PM   #29
frednoah
86 Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Part of my problem is that I never 100% unpacked when I moved. I have stacks of boxes of stuff that I need to go through. And I live in 3 houses. I don't know what is where. It would take me a month to organize all this junk.
I am going through the same issue with my dad's workshop after his passing. When they sold their big house and downsized he went from a 4 car garage to a small 8x10 shed. I have been working on the house trying to get it more accessible for my mom and can't tell you how many times I couldn't find something that I KNOW is out in that building.

It's been a slow go, but I've been spending a few hours each time I'm down there unpacking boxes and organizing as I go. Each toolbox or drawer gets labeled with exactly what's inside. My goal is to be able to send my wife or daughters outside and have them grab a tool I need without having to walk away from the task at hand myself.
frednoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:10 AM   #30
4u2nv

If I can't find it I go to my sons , he never returns anything , that reminds me he has my jigsaw.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:43 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Ok, now I know I have a ghost in my house messing with me. Before bed last night I cut out a Benadryl capsule I was going to take to help me sleep better. When I pushed it out it flew into the sink and bounced back out. I look all around the vanity, not there. So I'm down on the floor looking. I lift the rug, look all over, no pill. Must have flown out the window or maybe up onto the ceiling. I never looked there.! OK, I'll cut another one out.

I get up this morning, go in the bathroom, sit down (heard enough yet? ), and there it is on the rug. A bright deep pink Benadryl capsule on a pale green rug. How do these things happen??

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-28-2022, 07:02 AM   #32
A1971Blazer

I've discovered a sure fire way to find anything.....go buy another one....as soon as you do, the old one will pop right up...
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:06 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
I've discovered a sure fire way to find anything.....go buy another one....as soon as you do, the old one will pop right up...
I guess that worked for my pill, too .

Last year I bought a watering can for the flowers. I hardly ever use it. Mostly got it for when I don't feel like dragging the hose to the far upper corner for a few plants. It sits by the cellar door where the hose comes out. Been there since Spring, only used it once. Well, Sunday I went to get it and it wasn't there. Where else could it be? I start my hunt. I look everywhere, every possible place, nowhere. I gave up the hunt.

Yesterday, I was gathering things for a job. I have a rack I keep all my scaffold and ladders on near the edge of the property. On the far side is my poor old 4x8 trailer overladen with rears that I built a cover for and I store my cap on top of that. There's enough room between to sneak back behind the trailer up under a blue spruce tree. The fence is on the other side. So there's this one little area back in there under the spruce. There is the bucket on the back of the trailer.

I forgot there was a fern coming up in the grass I pulled up with all the roots and I had decided to plant it back in there. Then, totally forgot. only watered it once but it seems to be taking!!

Tim

Old 06-28-2022, 10:25 AM   #34
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

That is part of the reason I always hated doing installs. Since I started working in the cabinet shop, I have always been an "inside" guy, either building cabinets themselves or later moving up to bigger custom pieces. They always have guys who were specifically installers.
Early on, I would get sent out to help, usually only a day or two. So, I had to be prepared to go out too. I had several bags that I kept ready, just under the bench waiting. There is some overlap, but not a lot. All that was usually needed was throwing in a cordless drill and grab the other bags. This means lots of tools left behind of course, you can't drag everything.
The part that sucks is when you are out on a job and need something that you don't have. I'm not too concerned, I will just go buy one. The most annoying of all is when you actually already have one, but it's back in the shop. This happened to me more than once. Two different times I bought a fairly expensive tool, that I already had, but it was 20 miles away.
Fortunately, over the years it has become more valuable to keep me in the shop and after the fire destroyed everything, I didn't even replace my "to go" stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:58 PM   #35
oldwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
Had a neighbor that had the same problem
He had two or three of everything , couldn't find it he would just buy another one .
I called him the tool man
That's me!!! I guess I'm not the only one with 2 or 3 of everything I need. Can a man ever have too many of one tool?
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:08 PM   #36
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwagon View Post
That's me!!! I guess I'm not the only one with 2 or 3 of everything I need. Can a man ever have too many of one tool?
oldwagon
I don't think so

Especially, If your are always looking for it.

I have a 4-way lug wrench for my Tractor wheels.

It has 1" 1/16 and 3 other sizes

I only use it about ??????????????? once or twice every 2 years.

I spend (Off and On ) 2 hours tonight looking for it

Guess what ?? I found It
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:19 AM   #37
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
I spend (Off and On ) 2 hours tonight looking for it

Guess what ?? I found It

Can you come over and help me find my air cleaner for my Bug?

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:42 AM   #38
Getter-Done

Quote:

Can you come over and help me find my air cleaner for my Bug?
Yeah

I know where is.
The last place you sit it down and when you find it you will quit looking

Old 07-02-2022, 05:53 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

I don't have such a bad problem finding things. Oh, that does happen and it does happen often. But my worse problem is remembering what I was looking for!

and there's a silver lining to this cloud. How many times have you gone through this "can't find it" search and found a thing you couldn't find earlier. Or better yet, found a thing you forgot you had?? Gotta find that silver lining somewhere! I'll have to make another round I guess

Tim

Old 07-02-2022, 08:58 AM   #40
LONGHAIR

As I said before, I generally don't lose things because they have a place. The biggest problem with that is when it does happen. WTH? Where did it go? How did it go?
Last Saturday, I went to visit my mom. She lives about 20 miles away, so it's no big deal, but not 5 minutes away to just "stop by whenever" either. I was there for several hours, cooked out, talked about stuff, etc. Then head home in the early evening, intending to do some grocery shopping on the way. Reflexively reaching for my wallet as I drove. I carry a mini wallet, that is basically the size of a credit card and about 3/8" thick, in my front pocket. It wasn't there, instant panic/freak-out. I have dropped it before, while wearing these particular shorts, especially in low seating. The pockets don't slide down when sitting, so they tip up when knees are higher than my hips. I usually notice it though.
First thought, call her and ask her to look it the couch where I was sitting. She looked there, under the dining room table, and even out on the patio.....nope, not there.
Ok, well maybe I left it at home? I usually do the "pat down" for keys, wallet, phone, etc. when leaving, but it is possible I didn't?
I continue home, knowing exactly where it will be, assuming I left it where I know it was last. Nope! not there either, instant freak-out. I went crazy searching, even going to places that I know full-well weren't even possible. Turned over the recliner, went through the last load of laundry, everything.
Then I went to the truck and searched it thoroughly, still nothing. I hadn't been anywhere else, so it had to be in my house....or hers. I called her back and she searched again, this time actually pulling the cushions off and running her hands around the edges. There it was! Now I have to make that drive again, but the freak-out was over.

Quote:
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:13 AM   #41
Boog
laying low

I gotta fess up again. Some years ago I needed my mirror on a telescoping stick. I knew I had one but had rarely used it and the one time I really needed it, I could not find it. I searched the shop over several times and nada. I accused my daughter of taking it and not putting it back cause she is the only other one to need a tool. I knew the tool chest drawer I kept it in and I didn't see it. Well one day she came in and I asked her about it to which she said she had not used it. I described it being a small rectangular mirror head on a stick and while I was busy doing something she quietly pulled every drawer of the chest and turned around and said "is this what you are looking for"? Well damn! It was right there in the drawer I said it should be and the mirror is round, not rectangular. Egg all over my face.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:02 AM   #42
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I gotta fess up again. Some years ago I needed my mirror on a telescoping stick. I knew I had one but had rarely used it and the one time I really needed it, I could not find it. I searched the shop over several times and nada. I accused my daughter of taking it and not putting it back cause she is the only other one to need a tool. I knew the tool chest drawer I kept it in and I didn't see it. Well one day she came in and I asked her about it to which she said she had not used it. I described it being a small rectangular mirror head on a stick and while I was busy doing something she quietly pulled every drawer of the chest and turned around and said "is this what you are looking for"? Well damn! It was right there in the drawer I said it should be and the mirror is round, not rectangular. Egg all over my face.
I can relate to your story Boog.. When I lose something like a tool in my garage or storage shed.. I usually find it after thourally searching about the 3rd or 4th try and just like you ,, I over look it ,,concentration of what it is that I am looking for is not working with me like it used too.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:18 PM   #43
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I usually find something that I can't find when I'm looking for something else. All of a sudden there it is.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:52 PM   #44
LONGHAIR

Quote:
I usually find something that I can't find when I'm looking for something else. All of a sudden there it is.
Oh yeah, been there. The trick to that is to give it a legitimate home, one you will remember. You can't leave it where you found it and expect to find it again.

Boog, I can relate to the shape, or even color, of something making it "invisible". When you are so concentrated on a specific feature, the actual piece can evade you because you are looking for the wrong thing.

Quote:

Old 07-02-2022, 07:15 PM   #45
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I had a clipper and lost it, got another, lost it etc… Did a little cleaning now I have these and a place I keep them. I know there are more out there I’ll be adding to my collection, eventually haha!
Attached Images

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:07 PM   #46
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I had a clipper and lost it, got another, lost it etc… Did a little cleaning now I have these and a place I keep them. I know there are more out there I’ll be adding to my collection, eventually haha!
That is Funny right there

If I am at work I have one in my pocket,

Old 07-02-2022, 08:31 PM   #47
special-K
Special Order

Just today I was installing a window a/c in my bedroom. It's in the window on the side where I have my climate controlled parts stash. I had to move some things and I uncovered a small box for a part I bought from another member who knows how long ago. I open it up and am pleasantly surprised to see two cherry 67/68 GMC horn buttons. Christmas all over again!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Oh yeah, been there. The trick to that is to give it a legitimate home, one you will remember
Yeah, like I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
...and there's a silver lining to this cloud. How many times have you gone through this "can't find it" search and found a thing you couldn't find earlier...
I do the "everything has it's place" thing and am diligent about returning things there. It still happens anyway. I'm talking tools and certain items. I only put things away when I'm done with them. It's while I'm using them that I misplace them. And parts, that's a different story. I have three indoor areas for those. Actually four if you count my bedroom. While I mostly have parts stored somewhat by category, it's hard to keep track of what is where. I also have a trailer I stash my drivetrain parts in. one building has shelving with miscellaneous parts. if I don't look at things but every so often I can't recall where most things are. I think I have a general idea and I always hope I'm right!
Quote:
You're half way to a full set, one for every finger and toe. My nail clippers stay in my bathroom medicine cabinet unless I am using them

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 07-02-2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:14 PM   #48
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Labels, you guys! When I was flipping Chevy Vegas, I had shelves in the shed with boxes labeled, "Starters and Alternators", "Clutches", and "Miscellaneous", etc. We all know that anything fits in the "miscellaneous" box, don't we?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:31 AM   #49
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
I find that nail clippers are one of the most elusive things on the face of the earth. Right up there with the 10 mm socket and Sasquatch.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:14 AM   #50
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I find that nail clippers are one of the most elusive things on the face of the earth. Right up there with the 10 mm socket and Sasquatch.
I never could find nail clippers or a pen to write information while on the phone when we were all her, wife , kids, dog, cat. Never! We were on Skyline drive at a gift shop almost 40 years ago when I saw nail clippers in a leather sheath with "Skyline Drive" imprinted. I bought those without my wife seeing and kept them in my night stand drawer and NEVER let anyone know that. I still have them in the drawer.

For the pen problem, I bought a bag of Bic pens and put them in a kitchen drawer, since I used to take calls on the kitchen wall phone. One by one they'd walk away till there was an empty bag. Ok, that didn't go well. I found a hiding place in the kitchen and I got to use those until the ink was gone

Tim