The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
DoubleL

Re: DoubleL's '66 Project

One good piece of news is that a guy I work with is going to teach me to weld as well as help me with the repairs. I have always been pretty good mechanically but electrical and body work are a complete mystery. I am determined to learn this stuff though.
I'm still a couple months out from being able to do any substantial body repairs but I just couldn't leave that wet carpet on there any more!

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=835095
DoubleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #27
rcbildr

If I can get my 60 on the road this weekend, I'll bring it by so you can feel better about your rust situation....might want to get a tetanus shot before looking at my truck tho.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #28
DoubleL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbildr View Post
If I can get my 60 on the road this weekend, I'll bring it by so you can feel better about your rust situation....might want to get a tetanus shot before looking at my truck tho.
Ha! Sounds good! I got Fri-Mon off.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #29
Z POPPY

Nice truck welcome to the forum. Sorry about the p.o. some are very scandalous. I've seen it all then I get surprised again. Bailing wire, bondo over chicken wire, cardboard and over 2" thick also. A new door skin glued over the old one, it looked pregnant. I can go on and on. Being your DD I understand using a rusty inhibitor and even fastening steel over the rusted area for now. Our trucks are known for rusted out areas like this. I would even expect the inner and outer rockers look that as bad. Do what you need to for now. If you plan it out, have experience or a friend with it can all be done over a weekend or a vacation week from work. Just remember one thing, have fun enjoy working on your truck. Good luck.
Z POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #30
DoubleL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z POPPY View Post
Nice truck welcome to the forum. Sorry about the p.o. some are very scandalous. I've seen it all then I get surprised again. Bailing wire, bondo over chicken wire, cardboard and over 2" thick also. A new door skin glued over the old one, it looked pregnant. I can go on and on. Being your DD I understand using a rusty inhibitor and even fastening steel over the rusted area for now. Our trucks are known for rusted out areas like this. I would even expect the inner and outer rockers look that as bad. Do what you need to for now. If you plan it out, have experience or a friend with it can all be done over a weekend or a vacation week from work. Just remember one thing, have fun enjoy working on your truck. Good luck.
I guess I am a typical man. I want to "get things done". What I'm learning on this truck is that the "doing" is just as enjoyable as the end product. I am learning a lot about the electrical system and will be learning welding and bodywork. I think it is good to keep learning new things.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #31
Z POPPY

I am very patient now. Started my redstomod rebuild in Aug 2009. It took me time to do the floors and rockers. The paint and bodywork took 11 months. Family comes first. I enjoy working on my truck, my fun time. Hope to be done by Aug 2013.
Posted via Mobile Device
Z POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #32
DoubleL

Yes, family is first. I'm four months out from seeing my daughter married. Then I'll have some extra money!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #33
DoubleL

Well, I got my wiring finished up it took me three days but I wasn't working on it constantly. I am pretty happy with it, for my first time I was pretty pleased with the results. I am especially stoked about having full gauges now. I am hooking up the new temp sender when I install my water pump this weekend. I also am going to be installing the new oil pressure line as well.
The only wiring I didn't replace was the heater harness but after looking it over I went ahead and ordered a new one along with the resistor for the heater.
I think the best thing of all is I now have a working gas gauge for the first time. My first six months owning the truck I had no gas gauge and no speedometer.
The first pic is at the scary midpoint and the second one is of my new cluster.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #34
DoubleL

I am hoping to get a few more things done on the truck in the next week. My valves are really noisy under load and I want to adjust them. I need to rig up some kind of splash shield because I want to adjust them while the motor is running.
I also need a new waterpump as the one on it is getting pretty noisy. I figured I would put a fan clutch on it at the same time.
The biggest thing I am tackling this weekend is swapping out the rearend. I'll post some write-ups on those later.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #35
eric67m

Hello doublel. Nice looking truck.

Fellow monroe guy with an offer. I have a set of 16 clips that I got from summit at one point to adjust the valves on a small block with it running. If you want to borrow them along with my set of thin tappet wrenches for a couple of weeks.

By the way, were you also previously on my tractor forum.com?

If you are interested in borrowing those tools send me a pm.

Eric
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #36
eric67m

I forgot to attach a picture.

They clip around the outside of the rocker arm and plug into the center of the push rod blocking the oil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #37
DoubleL

I think I talked to you a couple of times. I've moved into bigger engines I was pretty active on the tractor forums for a while.

I sent you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric67m View Post
Hello doublel. Nice looking truck.

Fellow monroe guy with an offer. I have a set of 16 clips that I got from summit at one point to adjust the valves on a small block with it running. If you want to borrow them along with my set of thin tappet wrenches for a couple of weeks.

By the way, were you also previously on my tractor forum.com?

If you are interested in borrowing those tools send me a pm.

Eric
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #38
DoubleL

Well not a real productive weekend. Got sick and had an emergency root canal. Then the throttle cable on my truck broke and I had to get a tow home. My engine is starting to rattle pretty good under load so I ended up making a major decision and retired the truck from daily driver. I am now the proud owner of a 2002 Nissan Sentra 4 banger! I am really looking forward to not having to worry about having to drive my truck daily. It will make the whole project a lot less stressful.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #39
jdl71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleL View Post
The carpet had been laid down over the old rotten mat and a few shoddy repairs were made at some point. The rust in the cab is pretty bad. Disappointing but not really unexpected. This was rusted like this when I got it but wasn't visible from the outside. I think at some point the PO threw paint on it and put a carpet in to sell it. I hope I can fix this.
Rust? What rust? I can see you're not from the midwest.

Seriously, I know it's probably disappointing to find that considering how sharp your truck looks but it can be fixed. Take your time, ask lots of questions and you'll have it licked before you know. There's also not much more rewarding than seeing fresh, clean metal on the bottom of your cab either.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:39 PM   #40
DoubleL

Can't beleive i sold this truck 10 years ago! Looking for a 65 to get back in to it!