The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
roll_the_dice

1964 GMC 1 Ton Dually build

OK, so the time has come to start my next truck...a 1964 GMC 1 ton dually. It is a matching numbers truck with 64k original miles. It was a farm truck and has lots of dents and dings...but I am not sure I care too much except for the hood that is so bent it doesn't close properly...so I either need to source another one or try and repair this one.

My plans are fairly simple in my head so far, I plan on making it a flatbed of sorts. I haven't done anything to it yet except start gathering parts.

Parts I have gathered so far:
  • "New" used OEM front windshield
  • "new" an original bench seat just going to clean up the cover or dye it a darker color.
  • used passenger side cowl
  • 50 gallon gas tank from a c60 (either side frame mount or bed mount)
  • OEM Power Steering pump and bracket

Things I need/want to get:
  • New wiring harness
  • GMC Hood
  • Dana 70 or 14 bolt 3.73 or 3.54 DRW Rear End
  • Fabricate flat bed or find 9' step side bed
  • Repair some dents..not all dents
  • Paint inside of cab Fawn
  • 16" Wheels
  • Power Steering for the 305e V6 engine ( might take a while)
  • Brake Booster and split brake lines for dual MC
  • Clear Coat truck
  • Rubber Floor matt

Going to be similar to my last build...not a ton of body work...fortunately there is only surface rust on this truck...no holes or rust through.

No engine work, no trans work on this one...just clean them up and make sure they are running correctly...although adding power steering is in this trucks future...so if you have power steering pulleys for a 305e v6, let me know. I have feelers out there.

Here are a few pictures as the truck sits now and one at the end that is my bed inspiration (unless I find a 9' bed quickly). This will be a slow build at first while I gather parts, but once I get the truck turned around in my driveway, I am going to start taking it apart and cleaning it up...maybe this weekend/next weekend.
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: 1964 GMC 1 Ton Dually build

This is going to be a good one!

I know of where a GMC hood is, but I haven't taken a good look at it yet. I'll have to run by there some time soon and check it out for ya

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
This is going to be a good one!

I know of where a GMC hood is, but I haven't taken a good look at it yet. I'll have to run by there some time soon and check it out for ya
That would be awesome Christian...I really appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 02-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #4
pdxhall

This is going to be a fun project. I will be following your progress. Speaking of hoods, if you get another hood I would be very interested in the passenger side rear corner of of the old one. I really botched the patch job and need to replace it.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
This is going to be a fun project. I will be following your progress. Speaking of hoods, if you get another hood I would be very interested in the passenger side rear corner of of the old one. I really botched the patch job and need to replace it.
Thanks! Will keep you posted on the hood...
Old 02-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #6
roll_the_dice

I am still gathering parts, PS pump, brackets, pulleys, etc for the 305E V6. Today was a BIG day though in the parts haul! I originally wanted to do a stepside bed on this truck, but to do it right, I would either need an 8 foot bed and stretch it or find the unicorn 9' bed. I have asked people to keep an eye out all over the country. So I had resigned myself to put a flatbed on the truck..but This morning, I received a call from Christian...he found a 9 foot bed! And it is only 2 1/2-3 hours from me...He checked it out for me, made the deal for me...I will pick it up in a few weeks!

To me that is what this board is all about! Friends being on the lookout for other friends!

The bed needs some work, but it isn't bad and can be fixed...has a steel bed floor that will need to be cut out...but no big deal. Here are a few pictures...

Thanks again Christian!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2021, 09:53 PM   #7
72cs20

That is going to look cool! I'm looking forward to following this build. I'm a big fan of these 1 ton's.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:20 PM   #8
cwcarpenter98

It's unfortunate that a tree had crushed the roof of that cab, but its parts will live on! I originally went to look at some hubcaps that were still on it, but was pleasantly surprised to see the 36 on the vin tag which indicates a 133" wheel base. I'm glad I could help you out, Andy. I can't wait to see it sitting on the truck

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 03-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #9
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72cs20 View Post
That is going to look cool! I'm looking forward to following this build. I'm a big fan of these 1 ton's.
The more I learn about these trucks, the more I am a big fan as well. I also like that it is a GMC this time...don't see as many GMCs as Chevy's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
It's unfortunate that a tree had crushed the roof of that cab, but its parts will live on! I originally went to look at some hubcaps that were still on it, but was pleasantly surprised to see the 36 on the vin tag which indicates a 133" wheel base. I'm glad I could help you out, Andy. I can't wait to see it sitting on the truck
Christian gets my vote for board member of the year!

Did you buy the hubcaps?
Old 03-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #10
roll_the_dice

OK, so I did not get the truck turned around yet...but I had an old can of degreaser in my cabinet...thught I would spray it...no scrubbing, since I plan on repainting the engine once I start getting the front end off, but wanted to see what it would like like cleaned a little...

Looks better than before and the potential is awesome IMO. Before and after just a spraying/no scrubbing.

I also found some original markings on the underside of the hood and on the firewall. Were these done in a grease pen?

Still gathering parts...and once I start disassembly, I will assess what other parts I need.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #11
cwcarpenter98

I did grab the 2 hubcaps that weren't completely rusted out. They are rough, but I was able to knock some of the dents out with a hammer
They are good wall hangers

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 03-02-2021, 05:19 AM   #12
350TacoZilla

Going to widen bed to fit over dually wheels? I've seen couple done and it looks pretty cool when done well.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #13
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Going to widen bed to fit over dually wheels? I've seen couple done and it looks pretty cool when done well.
Yep, I know I will have to tub the inside of the bed for the inner dually wheel. I think the width of the bed from outer fender to the other outer fender is 76". my eaton DRW axle is 80" from outer wheel to outer wheel. I will be looking for a more narrow rear end to help if there is such a thing, but at least one with higher gears!

Last edited by roll_the_dice; 03-02-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:39 AM   #14
clemdaddy

I'm in for this build. Looks like a fun project. Love me some Jimmys.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:04 PM   #15
350TacoZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Yep, I know I will have to tub the inside of the bed for the inner dually wheel. I think the width of the bed from outer fender to the other outer fender is 76". my eaton DRW axle is 80" from outer wheel to outer wheel. I will be looking for a more narrow rear end to help if there is such a thing, but at least one with higher gears!
There is a narrow cab chassis 14bolt from squarebody trucks. I think its like 63.5 from wheel mounting to wheel mounting, not sure what that would do to your outside measurement in comparison though. Have to measure your current axle and go from there I guess but a 14b is a good way to go for parts availability and such.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:00 AM   #16
roll_the_dice

I am pretty sure the Eaton HO72 is 63.5 WMS to WMS which is what I have now. I think I will graft some metal into the fenders to make them wider...so they will fit whatever rear end I end up getting. A 14b C&C would be nice though...with 4.10 or 3.73 gear. I am on the lookout.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #17
350TacoZilla

I know they make wider fiberglass rear fenders for guys with wide rear tires so that might be something to look into, what I had meant was split the actual bed in middle and widen it a bit then run stock fenders\steps. Here is 1 done each way with red truck widening the fenders\steps and blue widened the bed. I think the blue one is running stock fleetside inner wheel wells and I know that means custom tailgate (or adding material to stock one).

Also can I get few pics of the front bumper\brush guard setup?

Old 03-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #18
roll_the_dice

My only concern with widening it in the center is the tailgate and the lettering. I assume I would have to widen it to the right and left of the GMC letters on the tailgate...but I will look at all options and figure out which one makes more sense.

Here are a few pictures I just snapped of the front bumper setup. Looks like the PO did a DIY brush guard setup...It is very utilitarian...I kind of like it.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2021, 10:47 PM   #19
raylube

I may have some pulleys
raylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:51 PM   #20
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylube View Post
I may have some pulleys
That would be awesome Ray. Thanks for checking!
Old 03-16-2021, 10:53 PM   #21
roll_the_dice

Going to pick up my 9 foot bed this coming weekend (Sunday) from Christian who was kind enough to pick it up for me and take it to his place at college which is only a few hours away from me....woohoo... Thanks again Christian!
Old 03-16-2021, 11:08 PM   #22
cwcarpenter98

You're welcome! That steel floor sure put up a fight, but I ended up winning
I started taking it apart around 3:30 on Sunday afternoon. Finished up at around 8:30. Would have been quicker if one of the previous owners had not welded some diamond plate steel across the entire rear crossmember. Some of the wood was left, but too rotted to save
Attached Images

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 04-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #23
roll_the_dice

Still gathering parts. I think I have located all the correct pulleys for the power steering...fingers crossed! Made a deal for a GMC tailgate as well.

Based on my calculations, I "think" I may have to widen the bed or fenders a total of approximately 5". I found some 3" fiberglass wider fenders...but may end up fabricating wider fenders myself or just making the bed wider...so many possibilities.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #24
pdxhall

I don't have much knowledge about these trucks but if you could make it the same width as a fleetside bed maybe you could adapt the front panel and the cross sills. Just a thought.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #25
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I don't have much knowledge about these trucks but if you could make it the same width as a fleetside bed maybe you could adapt the front panel and the cross sills. Just a thought.
Hmmm interesting thought. I found this ...looks like the ID of the fleetside bed is 65"?