The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #1
Joyridin

Flat-Out Engineering front end?

Hello...has anybody installed a Flat-Out Engineering front end under their truck? I have the set-up and just have a few questions about how the steering shaft from the column to the rack worked and whether you had to replace the steering column.

TIA
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:24 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Flat-Out Engineering front end?

With any R&P set-up on a C10, you'll most likely need to adjust the column length to suit your needs.

I can't answer specifically about the Flat-Out set-up, but I had to shorten my column around 6" to have more room in the cab & get a clean, non-binding angle under the hood for a Porterbuilt set-up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:22 AM   #3
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
With any R&P set-up on a C10, you'll most likely need to adjust the column length to suit your needs.

I can't answer specifically about the Flat-Out set-up, but I had to shorten my column around 6" to have more room in the cab & get a clean, non-binding angle under the hood for a Porterbuilt set-up.
Ok..thanks. Was the input shaft on the rack moved to inside the frame or was it left on the outside like the original steering box?
Old 09-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
Ok..thanks. Was the input shaft on the rack moved to inside the frame or was it left on the outside like the original steering box?
It's inside the rails. My steering shaft runs between the upper a-arm + C/O mount & exhaust flange (Ramhorn style manifold). Getting the shaft centered between the 2 required getting column length just right.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
Joyridin

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #6
wickedred

I have the Flat-Out Engineering front setup sitting in the bed of my 71 C10. Been looking at different peoples installs and such.

1971 C10. Auto Cross/Pro Touring Build. Project : I am gonna go broke with this one.

1970 Chevy LWB 4x4. 355, 4spd, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear, 35x12.50 tires... STOLEN

I will put a Turbo on anything with an engine if the $$$ is right. Once upon a time....
wickedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:00 PM   #7
SCOTI

I looked @ Flat Outs stuff but purchased a Porterbuilt C4 Dropmember back when he made them in the early days. It's all still sitting on some shelves in the shop.

One of these days. . .....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-30-2021, 06:26 PM   #8
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedred View Post
I have the Flat-Out Engineering front setup sitting in the bed of my 71 C10. Been looking at different peoples installs and such.
Have you seen any installations?
Old 09-30-2021, 10:22 PM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

pretty sure you need to clock the r&p for better fitment.. somewhere i got a link on doing that with the flatout
from there itll take a couple of ujoints and a stabilizing bearing to get inline with the column..then use DD slip shaft to connect

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:53 AM   #10
wickedred

Quote:
Have you seen any installations?
There are some subpar photos in a few threads I found. Here is a video Link with some decent shots for the front suspension:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOzF3xNDf-8

In that video Dustin refers to the engine set back of nearly 10 inches to get the engine placement right due to the steering rack mounting location. If you look at the side shots of the truck the wheels are setback in the front wheel well towards the cab. His truck Flat work on the auto cross track.

I talked to Don at Flat Out and he said the engine setback is not needed if the wheel is centered in the fender.

I am building my truck for auto cross first and foremost. I will rework the steering rack situation if need be. Been a lot of times I thought I should have just built my own crossmember and used C6 or C7 Corvette front suspension components. I took the quicker way out.

1971 C10. Auto Cross/Pro Touring Build. Project : I am gonna go broke with this one.

1970 Chevy LWB 4x4. 355, 4spd, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear, 35x12.50 tires... STOLEN

I will put a Turbo on anything with an engine if the $$$ is right. Once upon a time....
Old 10-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #11
Joyridin

Quote:
There are some subpar photos in a few threads I found. Here is a video Link with some decent shots for the front suspension:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOzF3xNDf-8

In that video Dustin refers to the engine set back of nearly 10 inches to get the engine placement right due to the steering rack mounting location. If you look at the side shots of the truck the wheels are setback in the front wheel well towards the cab. His truck Flat work on the auto cross track.

I talked to Don at Flat Out and he said the engine setback is not needed if the wheel is centered in the fender.

I am building my truck for auto cross first and foremost. I will rework the steering rack situation if need be. Been a lot of times I thought I should have just built my own crossmember and used C6 or C7 Corvette front suspension components. I took the quicker way out.
Ok. I spoke to Don a few times. What he told me initially and what the instructions say are quite different. When I spoke to him after receiving the parts, he gave me a completely different story.

The video looks like he is using an 84-87 C4 set-up. I am using a 95 set-up. Apparently there is no way to hook up a sway bar on the later set-up. Just curious if anybody found one that works.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:56 AM   #12
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
pretty sure you need to clock the r&p for better fitment.. somewhere i got a link on doing that with the flatout
from there itll take a couple of ujoints and a stabilizing bearing to get inline with the column..then use DD slip shaft to connect
I am not sure how they would do that with the mounting. If you can find the link, it would be appreciated.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
Ok. I spoke to Don a few times. What he told me initially and what the instructions say are quite different. When I spoke to him after receiving the parts, he gave me a completely different story.

The video looks like he is using an 84-87 C4 set-up. I am using a 95 set-up. Apparently there is no way to hook up a sway bar on the later set-up. Just curious if anybody found one that works.
Quote:
I am not sure how they would do that with the mounting. If you can find the link, it would be appreciated.
Why wouldn't you be able to? What prohibits installing one?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #14
wickedred

Quote:

I have the 84-87 setup. I bough the aftermarket adjustable upper control arms. Same ones that are the linked video.

As for the Sway bar I am gonna run a Splined setup. I will make the links myself.

Engine placement and steering rack setup are my biggest concerns. The again thats what the Plasma cutter and Tig welder is for.

Old 10-01-2021, 11:11 AM   #15
Joyridin

Quote:
Why wouldn't you be able to? What prohibits installing one?
After 87, they moved the mounting for the sway bar to the center of the lower control arm. The earlier version had it on the front. I was told they tried the factory versions and numerous aftermarket versions and could not get one to work with any type of real tire.

That being said...I will bet I get one to work...LOL
Old 10-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #16
wickedred

Quote:
After 87, they moved the mounting for the sway bar to the center of the lower control arm. The earlier version had it on the front. I was told they tried the factory versions and numerous aftermarket versions and could not get one to work with any type of real tire.

Where there is a will, there is a way...

Old 10-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:

Well that's jacked. I never paid attention to the sway bar linkage anchor point on the arms I have. I'll have to look into that.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-02-2021, 03:25 AM   #18
mongocanfly
Post Whore

https://www.trifive.com/threads/rack...from-c4.24992/

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #19
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Thanks man! I have an old rack sitting here I am going to use for a core. I am going to give it a try.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:17 AM   #20
Joyridin

Quote:
Well that's jacked. I never paid attention to the sway bar linkage anchor point on the arms I have. I'll have to look into that.
I went and looked at mine. Sorry..it isn't in the center, but it uses a different mounting style that the earlier versions and apparently, that interferes with sway bar due to the location of the rack.

Last edited by Joyridin; 10-03-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:33 AM   #21
Getter-Done

They have a booth set up at the Nashville Superspeedway today.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #22
wickedred

Did a rough mock up on the tailgate of dads 72 C10 with my oldest son today. Sometimes I wish I had went with RideTech LOL.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2021, 07:31 AM   #23
Joyridin

Quote:
Did a rough mock up on the tailgate of dads 72 C10 with my oldest son today. Sometimes I wish I had went with RideTech LOL.
Yeah...I was going to go with Fatman. Besides adding a spacer for the motor mount, theirs bolted right in place. What Don told me on the phone and what the instructions state, or don't state, are massively different.

Yours looks good! Do you have a rack and pinion? Apparently they are getting hard to find.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #24
wickedred

Quote:
Yeah...I was going to go with Fatman. Besides adding a spacer for the motor mount, theirs bolted right in place. What Don told me on the phone and what the instructions state, or don't state, are massively different.

Yours looks good! Do you have a rack and pinion? Apparently they are getting hard to find.
Nope I don't have the rack and pinion. They are tuff to find from what I have seen. I will probably take the plasma cutter and knock the rack mounts off and make mounts for a flaming river rack.

From the threads and post I have found and couple guys I have talked too. Its the rack and pinion that is the biggest interference with engine placement.

My truck is a cut down LWB truck. I have two other SWB frames. I don't have an issue cutting up the shortened fame to make this work. My original intention was to build a full custom frame. I just got a bit lazy... LOL

Old 10-05-2021, 07:40 AM   #25
Joyridin

Quote:
Nope I don't have the rack and pinion. They are tuff to find from what I have seen. I will probably take the plasma cutter and knock the rack mounts off and make mounts for a flaming river rack.

From the threads and post I have found and couple guys I have talked too. Its the rack and pinion that is the biggest interference with engine placement.

My truck is a cut down LWB truck. I have two other SWB frames. I don't have an issue cutting up the shortened fame to make this work. My original intention was to build a full custom frame. I just got a bit lazy... LOL
The rack seems to ride on the spindle centerline. Besides being able to find one easier, how is that going to make a difference with the engine placement? From what I am seeing, if you drop it down, you are going to get bumpsteer unless you start using heim joints as outer tie rods to space them down.