The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
nitrosport_5

72 k20, air bags?

I just recently bought this truck. its a 1972 k20 4x4, Currently its got a 4" rancho lift on it. II love the way the truck looks and sits, but im a t-9 paraplegic and it is near impossible for me to get into it.

I am not sure if this is doable, or i am thinking crazy.. but what would it take to put a set of bags on it, that would lower it down to where the body basicly sits on the tires, and then raise back up to ride height once i got in. I dont plan to wheel the truck, just a decent driver/mild offroad.

Let me know what you think. Hope its somthing tht isnt too crazy difficult.
nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: 72 k20, air bags?

It would take a lot of fab work and have to 4 link the front and rear to get to work,Have you heard of kelderman.com they make a air bag lift for newer trucks so it can be done.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
nitrosport_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
It would take a lot of fab work and have to 4 link the front and rear to get to work,Have you heard of kelderman.com they make a air bag lift for newer trucks so it can be done.
thanks for the info. i doubt a custom kit from those guys is anything that i can afford.

soo basicly what i gather, is that i need to just figure out a way to get my big ass in there as is. I put a chrome handle that was used to pull open a kenworth semi hood just on the inside of the top of the door on the cab in my 92 k1500 truck to get myself in, i just need to figure out handle placement on this truck and do the same, granted it is still taller than my stock truck. Worst case maybe ill swap out the 4" lift springs for a set of 2" springs. I think the tires would still fit
Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
andrewmp6

A guy on here made his own grab handles http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=530992
Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
nitrosport_5

Thanks, i think i will try and do somthing like that. those dont even look too bad either. I think if i put a handle on the pillar i could use the seat to get myself up the rest of the way.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
andrewmp6

Or maybe some kinda strap by the seat to help pull yourself up in to it.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
502ms

Maybe you can adapt an elevator type step-up. You know the late model Navigator has a fold-under step. Perhaps you can build one that folds down/telescopes and then hides next to the rocker panels. (If it is not already out there).Necessity is the mother of invention..
Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
502ms

Take a look at this:
http://www.electricstep.com/AMP-Rese...erStep-c23.htm
Perhaps this can be adapted to come down to the height you need and then fold up and away
Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
nitrosport_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502ms View Post
Take a look at this:
http://www.electricstep.com/AMP-Rese...erStep-c23.htm
Perhaps this can be adapted to come down to the height you need and then fold up and away
Somthing like that may work. just think i would have to fabricate somthing on my own. they sure want alot of money for those hide away running boards 0_0.

I thought the bags maybe would be a neat thing to see, would be badass to pull up, drop the body onto the tires and then get out. but i wasnt sure it was possible without a ton of fabrication. Right now i am going to see what i can make out with just putting in a couple handles to pull myself in, and then i will see where i am at. If that still wont work i will come up with plan B.

You guys have some good ideas though, feel free to keep them coming.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
andrewmp6

Yeah those power steps are nice but pricey and our old truck you would have to make it fit.Only crazy idea i have is what about something to side out from under the truck you lift yourself up on it then the rest of the way in the cab?I got the idea from a slide out draw thing i seen in pick up beds for tools.If you can weld or know someone it shouldn't be that hard to make and just find some sliders strong enough.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 AM   #11
nitrosport_5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Yeah those power steps are nice but pricey and our old truck you would have to make it fit.Only crazy idea i have is what about something to side out from under the truck you lift yourself up on it then the rest of the way in the cab?I got the idea from a slide out draw thing i seen in pick up beds for tools.If you can weld or know someone it shouldn't be that hard to make and just find some sliders strong enough.
I can weld so that isnt a problem.

the thing about somthing like that is it would be under the cab, and that would sit about level with my chair. i can get myself to the rocker pannel but it is not quite wide enough to get myself stable. i guess unless i made somthing that slid out from under the front seat.. now that i am thinking about it that may be a good idea to try. would be hidden when i want it to and quickly slide it out to get in. getting out is easy haha

I need to figure out some type of handle to put in the truck for the time being. I think if i had a handle i could get myself in no problem, just transfer myself to the rocker pannel and then lift myself in from there. (one issue with that.. the rocker is about to rust off...) I can experiment with the handle placement in the current cab. it is completely shot so i will be replacing it in the future with a rust free cab that came with the truck. Makes me feel not as bad about drilling holes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110859679256...witem=&vxp=mtr i have a handle similar to that that i use in my 1992 k1500 to get myself in, although it is stock ride height. the handle i have i believe is OEM kenworth. i feel a bit leary paying $12 for a handle to hold my weight.

I wish i could find a grab handle like this member had made for his truck, they look nice. https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E...0/IMG_0218.JPG I wonder if i could PM him and have him make me a set of them/find out who made them. http://www.purefjcruiser.com/fj-crui...me-p-3280.html those would look good as well but $200 my ass

Last edited by nitrosport_5; 07-25-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
andrewmp6

Under seat maybe floor pan slide out could work if its the right height for you.Send that member a pm see if he will make you a set or give you a temple and what gauge steel to make your own.