The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Project: Blank Slate

As some know, back in January ’09 I acquired a 1969 Chevrolet CST-10 SWB truck. Since purchasing this truck, I have had to pinch myself each time I walk into the garage to make sure I’m not dreaming.

Click here for the official introduction of this truck… Time for a Name Change.

Since I was able to start with such a plain-Jane truck, I came up with the name Blank Slate. Thanks to a quick turnaround by Scorp I was able to have this posted for some inspiration.

Name:  Blank Slate 1.jpg
Views: 35306
Size:  31.5 KB

Initially, the truck started its life being built at a St Louis Plant, sold new in Chamois, MO, and since that time it has spent its life within the state. I am truly amazed how rust free this truck is as it has lived its entire life in the rust belt; but I'm not complaining. Thanks to two buddies I was able to locate this truck and bring it home, thanks Keith and Mike!

Luckily I was able to talk my wife into letting me bring another truck home, with the stipulation I would sell my ’72 C/10. After several months I was able to sell the truck and then the official start to the ’69 could begin.

The truck originally came with a 250 I6 backed by a 2 spd. Powerglide transmission. Over the first couple of months my wife and I took the truck out on several trips and the MPG ranged from 12-21. The motor will be staying in the truck, but I'm considering a few minor upgrades to it as well as the transmission. The truck’s exterior was repainted once in the ‘80s, but still holds a strong color, so I will be able to save money on the body and paint work. The PO replaced the stock steel rims with a set of rally wheels, and unfortunately his son hacked the radio portion of the truck. Outside of these minor changes, the truck is bone stock!

Name:  102_0363.jpg
Views: 43652
Size:  61.6 KB

For the concept behind this build, I wanted to have a truck that would fulfill my love for the body lines and history of this model. In my mind, I am doing what Chevrolet should have done. I wanted a truck that would retain the original appearance (paint, interior, engine…), but with a tasteful custom flare to it. And unless my plans change in the future, any modifications that will be done will be easily reversed. (Unless if a few other members can persuade me to take the build a little farther…. you know who you are!) After talking with several board members, we were been able to pull together a good plan for the build, and can’t wait to get started.

Here's the basic plan:

Interior Mods:
- Install a new radio (radio area was already cut)
- Radio Mod (stay tuned for more info…)
- Upgrade the speakers currently in the truck (no hacking)

Engine/Tranny Mods:
- Retain the Inline 250
- Rebuild the 250
- Determine the best transmission
- Rebuild the 2 spd. Powerglide
- Upgrade to a 200R4

Exterior Mods:
- Wheels/Tires (still TBD)
- Add T-3 Headlights

Suspension/Chassis Upgrades:
- Lower the truck
- Upgrade the brakes
- Install Sway Bar

Needless to say, I should have started this thread about 4 months ago, but since I didn’t we need to play a little catch up.

Stay tuned... (Updates to come this weekend w/ pictures)

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 07-21-2009 at 10:53 PM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote