The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #1
TheKorndog

Air conditioning updates

Howdy everyone-
Just got my a/c system apart; didn't realize I have the original evaporator core, POA valve and txv. What my initial thoughts were during this resto was I would use an updated system, since I have the serpentine setup from a 97 C1500/Vortec. Looking at everything now, if this evaporator core turns out to be good (anyone want to interject how I determine that?), I may just install an updated POA/txv/parallel flow condenser & dryer and then have hoses made that connect my H6 compressor on the drivers side to the rest of it.

What I am looking for from you fine people is: if I am to update the POA/refresh the evap core/hoses, is this type of system efficient enough to keep this rig balls-cold? I have seen kits that allow you to adopt a cycling style compressor and have it function as designed with 134 in it.

I have the box split and open replacing all of the rubber and such...anyone know where to source the semi-tubular rivets of the proper dimension before I head down that rabbit hole?

Thanks all for the information and assistance you put into this forum. I appreciate it!
Stroked L31 & serpentine belt system (97 C1500 donor); K case 4L60e; Fitech GoEFI 4; In Tank retrofitted fuel pump tnk-pa-6; Fitech GoShift controller; 12 bolt Yukon gear posi 3.73 rear diff; NP205; Redhead steering gear; JB Custom Fab NP205 twin sticks
TheKorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Air conditioning updates

I can't answer your question exactly, but I can tell you what I did on my 72 Blazer. The engine is an L31 Vortec and I'm using the serpentine setup from a 98 Silverado. I used the Silverado compressor and evaporator (it was pretty easy to modify my box to accept it). The condenser proved to be the problem, because it was too big and interfered with the grille support. I ended up using a 98 S10 condenser. The lines from the compressor to the condenser and from the condenser to the evaporator are from the S10, and the line from the evaporator to the compressor is from the Silverado.

Just to make it interesting, I kept the stock fan shroud, but I ended up using a fan from a 98 Astro van (smaller diameter) and trimming 1/2" from the fan blades to fit inside the shroud.

I also made an upgrade to the blower squirrel cage. I have been looking for the original link for the last 15 minutes, but I can't find it. Someone suggested using the squirrel cage from a 2006 Jeep Liberty. It's the same depth and diameter, but you'll have to cut the base off your old one and epoxy it to the new one. With that modification, it puts out a lot more air, since the Liberty part has more vanes.

With all of that, I have cold A/C in the summer and the heater keeps things warm in the winter, even with my soft top.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2022, 09:34 PM   #3
TheKorndog

This is exactly what I have been looking for. I recall seeing this, but when I scrubbed the site I couldn't find it.

I made an order today for a new Sanden 4404 for a 97 truck, and then evap/dryer/cycle switch/harness/A6-Sanden adapter harness/o-tube from an 87 'Burban, and a universal large parallel flow condenser someone over in the trucks forums did a write-up on.

Its the lines part now, thank you for listing those out. That's what I need! I will have to do some custom lines from the condenser on, but those you listed get me the rest of the way.

I have the steel squirrel cage. I was going to sandblast it down and reinstall that since I have it all apart. How are you controlling the vacuum on yours? I am using hydro-boost with discs at all wheels, so the only vacuum outside of PCV is the a/c system-I didn't notice a reservoir on yours.

Still trying to run down the rivets- "semi-tubular" they're called.
Stroked L31 & serpentine belt system (97 C1500 donor); K case 4L60e; Fitech GoEFI 4; In Tank retrofitted fuel pump tnk-pa-6; Fitech GoShift controller; 12 bolt Yukon gear posi 3.73 rear diff; NP205; Redhead steering gear; JB Custom Fab NP205 twin sticks
Old 10-25-2022, 09:40 PM   #4
TheKorndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
The lines from the compressor to the condenser and from the condenser to the evaporator are from the S10, and the line from the evaporator to the compressor is from the Silverado.
Can you work that out for me? The set of hoses are one integral unit coming off the compressor, right? Do you mean the hard line from the lower evaporator to the condenser are from a Silverado?

Thanks again-
Old 10-25-2022, 09:50 PM   #5
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorndog View Post
Can you work that out for me? The set of hoses are one integral unit coming off the compressor, right? Do you mean the hard line from the lower evaporator to the condenser are from a Silverado?

Thanks again-
You're right. I forgot that I had to change over both lines to S10 lines. It required some re-bending, and I had to enlarge the opening through the core support slightly.

The vacuum is supplied from a T fitting in my manifold behind the carburetor. I do have a stock reservoir; I hadn't installed it yet when the picture was taken.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:12 PM   #6
TheKorndog

Fan update mod link

I found that link you were talking about. I may just do it.

Thanks for the info on the a/c hoses!
Old 10-26-2022, 02:04 PM   #7
truckster

Yep, that's the one. It puts out way more air than the stock unit. I've been running it a year and a half with no problems.

And you're welcome to any of the limited knowledge I have. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #8
TheKorndog

I ordered everything for a 98 S10 after taking some measurements of my evaporator. We'll see how it all goes together once it all gets here and is ready to go in. The thing I didnt initally factor in was the change in years of SAE to metric.

Any suggestions on the o-tube, and whether or not to use a high pressure cut-off in the system?
Old 10-26-2022, 10:01 PM   #9
truckster

I used the tube that came with my evaporator. I was worried about not having a high pressure cut off, but it hasn't been a problem.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:39 PM   #10
TheKorndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I ended up using a 98 S10 condenser.
Can you shoot me a pic of how you mounted the S10 condenser on the front end?

I have been looking into adding a trinary switch to run an independent condenser fan (others are controlled by FiTech). You have any thoughts on this? It may not be worth having in there (fan and switch) since my e fans may pull enough CFM to keep the ac moving.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #11
truckster

As I mentioned, I had to enlarge the opening through the radiator support. I mounted the right (passenger) side to the radiator support and used a length of 1/8 x 1/2 inch strap to mount the left side.

I run a plastic thermostatically controlled fan and it seems to keep everything cool.
Attached Images