The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2023, 02:22 PM   #1
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

A/C Bracket Help

I was wondering if any one has a possible fix. I have factory A/V on my 70, but I also have a set of Original Micky Thompson Valve covers I'd like to use. However, they are a little taller than factory and the one A/C bracket won't clear it. Anyone figured out how to get a bracket that is taller or am I stuck with factory style valve covers?

I really don't want to go pancake style cause I already have all the new stuff in the factory style.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:14 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: A/C Bracket Help

It looks like that bracket has a little bit of a bend in it. I wonder if you could cut a wedge-shaped notch in it in one or two places and bend it some more, and weld up the notches. Or mock up a shape using a piece of plywood, and when you find the shape that works have somebody fabric it for you or use it as a model to notch and bend the one you have.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:56 AM   #3
cwcarpenter98

If there's a section of just flat steel, cut completely, make up a piece to lengthen and get the right bend, tack, test fit, adjust, finish weld, grind smooth, then paint. Yeah, a little work is involved, but then you'll have something that will fit with whatever valve cover you want and still look stock to most people, except us that know.

CAD can be your friend in this situation. Cardboard Aided Design, that is

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:17 PM   #4
pjmoreland

I wonder if your valve cover clearance issue is why some of those brackets have a notch in them like the one shown in this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+a%2Fc+bracket
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:36 PM   #5
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I was wondering if any one has a possible fix. I have factory A/V on my 70, but I also have a set of Original Micky Thompson Valve covers I'd like to use. However, they are a little taller than factory and the one A/C bracket won't clear it. Anyone figured out how to get a bracket that is taller or am I stuck with factory style valve covers?

I really don't want to go pancake style cause I already have all the new stuff in the factory style.
It has been a while (ten plus years) since I did it but I put factory AC in my truck that didn't come from the factory with AC. After I did all the work to make the firewall right, I figured the factory brackets I bought off the parts list here would be a breeze since I was running factory valve covers, factory exhaust manifolds, and a factory style AC compressor.

Nope.

The "slide" bracket you got circled that goes over the valve cover wasn't hitting the valve cover but it was too long. I think the issue for me was a non-factory intake so the end that goes past the bracket on the intake was hitting the aftermarket intake.

Really long story short, I simply made another one. I think if you took some flat stock and played around with it some you could come up with an angle that will work with a higher valve cover under it.

You'll note the GM person that figured it out the first time did a little grinding himself - or herself - to clearance the high side of the valve cover as there is a little indent in the factory piece.

Squirt it with a little semi-gloss black when you're done to match the factory brackets and nobody has to be wiser that you fabbed it yourself.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 03:17 PM   #6
BROWN 70

Thumbs up Re: A/C Bracket Help

hi guys, when i put my ac back on after header install, ( had to mod the lower bracket) I left the back bracket off. never any problems at all. BROWN 70
BROWN 70 is online now   Reply With Quote