The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2019, 12:18 AM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Dad's tools!

As a young boy I got my ass whopped a lot for using my dad's tool and not putting them back in the box. I worked on my bike and would leave them laying on the drive way. He would come home and whop my ass. I finally started putting them back but not every time!

My dad bought this cabinet in the 50's when he started working at the Chevy dealership in Yazoo City Mississippi.

So here is what is left of his 1950's craftsman tool box. I took these pictures last weekend 9-15-20. It's hanging up still in his garage. One day it will be hanging up in my garage I hope. Not all of those tool are craftsman but he does have some of the original ones.

I now understand why he whopped my ass for leaving them out.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:26 AM   #2
'63GENIII

Re: Dad's tools!

I think its a DNA deficiency of all gear head kids. Just two weeks ago I found the short 7/16 socket that Ive been missing for two years. In the banana plant mulch in the front yard no less....I'd already bought a replacement when OSH closed here.

Most of the time I look in the boy's room. Craftsman never guaranteed that id find the tools in his room, but I do every time! Always working on his BMX, trading, swapping and changing parts for better ones. Guess I can't complain too much. Most of his buddies are playing minecraft or other games while he's wrenching. Could be worse.

One day I'll pass on my empty tool box to him

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

"Put them back so I can find them just as easy as you did"... My broken record scold

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
Keith Seymore

It's getting to where I set my tools down and they evaporate.

I spend most of my time looking for a screwdriver or wrench I just had in my hand.

I did find a long lost screwdriver in the trunk of my son's car. The bad news is: the more I think about it the more I think I am the one that left it there.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Oh sure, misplacing tools. I'm doing that constantly. I'll be looking and thinking "Takes 20 #+*! minutes to find the #+*! tool to do the #+*! job that takes 5 #+*! minutes". It's not all bad, though. It gives me someone to talk to when there's no one else around.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Dad's tools!

I have that problem also. I'll set something down and a minute later it's gone are it's not where I'm standing and I have no clue where it went. This guy is always around to when it happens.
I wouldn't have it any other way either. The other day he came walking in the house and had one of my little speed wrenches in his hand. I asked him what he had he said one of my tools. I asked him what he need for he said his train wasn't working he was going to fix it. So we did!
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
100%Chevy

When we 4 boys were teens,we always used dad's tools,all the time.
My dad would yell at us--" Everytime I want to work on my car,I have to mow the grass and find my tools!"
He finally had to lock them in the trunk of his car!
When I was 12,( in 1965) I bought a set of tools at Western Auto.I still have most of them.they are called Westline brand.
I have my dad's tools too.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
blazer2007

I remember my nephew as a very young boy playing with my brothers tools and he was having fun putting them all in the tailpipe of his 56 ford truck
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
67C10Step

Oh man, does this thread really hit home. My son is now gone to college and I bought my wife her own set of "house tools" so mine don't walk around or off nearly as much as they used to.

On another "Dad's tools" note: While in the process of tearing down the rear end of my truck the bolt on the frame side of the panyard bar was 15/16". I went to my bigger wrench drawer and the 15/16" I have is a Snap On that I got from my Dad. I smiled and quietly said "Thanks, Dad" as I walked across the shop with it in my hand.

My father passed away at the young age of 56 back in 2003. Many of the tools I still use today he bought for me or I got from him when he passed. Somewhere I have a complete SK 3/8" ratchet and socket (with metal box) set that I managed to piece together from all his tools. One of the neatest and most used is a device from Snap On that when you put it on your 1/2" breaker bar it becomes a ratchet.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #10
Killer Bee

my dad was the same way and so am I, the key is organization..

my kids may think losing mom's tupperware is bad but they know the toolbox rules

and I firmly believe they'll appreciate it when it's all theirs..

Old 09-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
Malibu Monte

I found this tire spoon in the road the other day and stopped and picked it up. Got home and my son said that is cool Dad what is it for, I told him it was for fixing tires. Next thing I know he has claimed it. He also claims all of my "smaller" wrenches. I try not to be too hard on him about it, I am just glad he is interested in the stuff.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #12
Lemield

My dad (who I lost in 2002), was always telling me to put the tools back. His rule was when you are done, wipe the tools off and put them back where they belong. For the most part I did pretty well...To this day, I will wipe the tools off and put them back so that the next time you have a clean tool that you can find.

Fast forward to May 2019, I had to sell my Moms house to put her in a memory care facility. I got my Dad's triple decker Craftsman tool box full of tools....Well...I have a ton more tools than my Dad ever had so I sold the whole setup (minus some sentimental value tools) to a friend here at work...he and his son are now using them.
Attached Images

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu Monte View Post
I found this tire spoon in the road the other day and stopped and picked it up. Got home and my son said that is cool Dad what is it for, I told him it was for fixing tires. Next thing I know he has claimed it. He also claims all of my "smaller" wrenches. I try not to be too hard on him about it, I am just glad he is interested in the stuff.
very cool but if he's anything like mine, better check you lugs and every nut n bolt that wrench fits regularly
Old 09-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #14
Malibu Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
very cool but if he's anything like mine, better check you lugs and every nut n bolt that wrench fits regularly
Good point! I will have to watch out for that. A while back my in-laws were babysitting at my house and they caught him taking off light switch covers with his toy screwdriver!
Old 09-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #15
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Andy,that is really neat to have that many tools that your dad had.. my dad was a Monkey Wards tool buyer,, I have a box end wrench that is a Wards Lake side ,,and i had a few more wrenches that I gave my son that were his and they had something like master inscribed on each wrenches
Old 09-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #16
rsavage

Andy - love that you still have your Dad's tools. My Dad was a carpenter. I have a lot of his wood working tools that remind me of him. When I was a kid, me and my bestie built forts all over the property. My Dad must have had 15 hammers - which I lost through time. I had to resort to using a 2 lb brass hammer. I keft it laying in the grass. The next time my Dad mowed the lawn, he hit it with the lawn mower and it bent the crankshaft ruining the mower. My butt was sore for awhile.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Dad's tools!

Love hearing all these stories. I'm very gratefull to have him still.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #18
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Love hearing all these stories. I'm very gratefull to have him still.
You be lucky. My dad died at the tender age of 58 from tobacco use, in '88. My mom died in y2k from tobacco use as well. We sold off most of their possessions at that time, and now I'm drawing a blank on where my dad's tools went, 19 years later. I got the '60s Craftsman drill press and planer-molder, but he had a ton of tools. He had a side business upholstering pre-war vehicles and had some make 100% on the interiors at Concours d'elegance. A Pierce Arrow sticks in my mind as an example that the owner and my dad found enough pictures to make the interior that nice.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:27 PM   #19
Chevyland

Very cool thread

My tool box would be a downer
If I posted it here
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

My dad was totally unorganized with his tools. He was like the kid who never put anything back. And he'd go nuts looking for them too. I learned from that what not to do and from observing how guys did in their shops, which is where I spent a lot of time. Tools are one place I've been accused of being anal. It's just get a method and stick with it.

Hey! I just spotted the phillips head under the bed I was using last month out back on the BBQ

Tim

Old 09-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #21
67C10Step

Reading through the additional posts reminded me of the conversation my wife and I had that made me decide to purchase her a set of house tools.

I was working in my shop and found a screw driver in the adjustable wrench drawer and a pair of pliers in the socket drawer. Hmmm, strange things are afoot at the Circle K. Wife comes out to the shop and I ask, "Have you been borrowing my tools?" She replies, "Yes, how did you know?" To which I reply, "Because a few of them were in the wrong drawers." Her response was, "You know what drawer every tool is in?"

Right then I knew to promote domestic tranquility and just get her a simple set of her own.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Dad's tools!

I have also made my wife a little tool kit in the laundry room for house work. She and my daughter both use it as I when working inside.
I will be making Rhett a small tool kit as well for him to have. He loves being in the garage with me and playing.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #23
CG
BlahBlahBlah

My stuff is always a mess. Every once in a while I get frustrated and gather it all up in a pile and reorganize it. Funny thing is Im missing my ten millimeter (clichι I know) box wrench.

Long after I was gone and living my own life my dad would come by and see a socket here or there in my garage and accuse me of taking his sockets. Good grief dad, Ive been out of the house for 20 years, have a ton more tools than you ever thought of having and you think my craftsman socket belongs to you?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #24
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
As a young boy I got my ass whopped a lot for using my dad's tool and not putting them back in the box. I worked on my bike and would leave them laying on the drive way. He would come home and whop my ass. I finally started putting them back but not every time!

My dad bought this cabinet in the 50's when he started working at the Chevy dealership in Yazoo City Mississippi.

So here is what is left of his 1950's craftsman tool box. I took these pictures last weekend 9-15-20. It's hanging up still in his garage. One day it will be hanging up in my garage I hope. Not all of those tool are craftsman but he does have some of the original ones.

I now understand why he whopped my ass for leaving them out.
Super cool... I want it!

j
Old 09-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #25
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Dad's tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Super cool... I want it!

j
Thanks man.

I have seen them for sell on the net before.
Money want buy this one though, not form me anyway.

http://jijuhiloqa.co/wall-mounted-to...hanic-mount-w/

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 09-26-2019 at 11:33 AM.