The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2002, 07:04 PM   #1
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Unhappy Switching From Non Air To Air Dash

I spent three hours today in the wrecking yard taking the AIR dash out of a donor truck, What a job......... They are tack welded about every 1-1/2" I took this one out with a hammer and chisel, a couple of minor cuts from brokenwindshield glass,a bruise or two from missing the chisel and a gallon of water to help stay hydrated in 106 degree heat but it's out... And I wouldn't do it again!!!!! unless there would be an easier way. I also picked up a real nice windshield rubber and the stainless trim, I got all of the under dash wiring to make the air install easier. It had a real nice heater/air dash control unit I grabbed, I found a passenger door which I needed. straight no rust just a few added mirror holes I'll weld closed, but not a ding in it otherwise. I also got the inside and outside heater/air box and controls. All of these "goodies" for $65.00 and sweat. not bad, or at least I'm happy about it. I found quite a few good things for these years of our trucks, but the wrecking yard just bought their own crusher.. that scares me.. I hope they don't pick on our years of stuff to grind up into metal mush..

Just another day in the life of a OLD TRUCK JUNKIE,,, hehehe

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 07:32 PM   #2
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

The way to do it is to cut down the middle of the dash pad mounting are, where all those oval holes are, then to reinstall just weld it back in, the dash pad would cover up any ugliness that might be associated with the welding and cutting
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 07:58 PM   #3
RON WOODGEARD

GEE_EMM

Have you taken a real good look at it??
That's the way I was going to do it, but when you get to the sides of the dash you're into a very thick metal bracing. It looked easy but that brace would be in the way. Or that's the way I seen it anyway.

RON
Old 08-09-2002, 08:42 PM   #4
Low69CST

Instead of cutting out your dash and welding in a new one, just cut out for the vent holes. I did my dash, its much easier and quicker than switching dashes. Use the one you just cut out for a pattern. Trace out the holes, then take a saws all and go at it. Holes don't have to be perfect. The plastic vents give you some room to play.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 10:20 PM   #5
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I just got the whole a/c cab instead of going through that hassle but the way i described it is the way I have seen it done in junkyards and its the way that ppl on here talk about doing it. Are you aware of the under cowl venting mechanisms? You might wanna pick up those parts but I would have no idea how you go about installing those parts into a non a/c cab. It would be pretty tricky.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 10:42 PM   #6
RON WOODGEARD

LOW69CST,

NOW YOU TELL ME, HEHEHEHE
I wondered if it could be done that way, but heard no one mentioned it.

GEE_EMM,

I had someone here tell me about it also but I looked at it to take this dash out exactly that way, it just doesn't seem feesable. the seam that runs down the elongated holes runs right into that heavier metal bracing. I'll post some pictures within the next couple of days.

RON
Old 08-09-2002, 10:53 PM   #7
Jeff M.

I'll second what Low69CST said. I cut out for the vents in my cab and didn't take but a few hours. Had all the parts from another truck and you can't tell it didn't come from the factory with air.