The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
Bearhawg

Delco Radio Restoration: I Recommend....

Just wanted to share my recommendation for stock GM/Delco radio restoration. Howard Foulds just finished mine and I could not be happier. He was recommended to me by Greg at Turnswitch. Howard did a great job and in record time. He DOES NOT do conversions so don't even ask him. He is a purest and a very talented one at that. It so happens that he is also an extremely knowledgeable gardener so be prepared if you bring it up. I picked a few good tips while I was talking with him. He is a great guy and he does great work. I highly recommend him.
Attached Images

Bearhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
toms68cst

Re: Delco Radio Restoration: I Recommend....

Looks like a very comprehensive list. I restore vintage audio equipment too but not professionally. I am limited in my test equipment. Someday I need to get my AM radio out and service it.

Any pictures of the refurbished unit?

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
Bearhawg

[QUOTE=toms68cst;8917921]Looks like a very comprehensive list. I restore vintage audio equipment too but not professionally. I am limited in my test equipment. Someday I need to get my AM radio out and service it.

Any pictures of the refurbished unit?[/QUOTE

The only cosmetics he did was cleaning the dial lense, new decals and polishing the push buttons. the face plate is still pitted but I couldn't care less as I'm thrilled with the results. the only problem I have now is the number of stations it pulls in and overlaps since I'm near a major metro area. Its also amazing how many modern electronic devices put out a signal/noise of some type. goes away as soon as I pull away from the house. no ignition noise whatsoever. I grounded the radio directly to the frame and the frame to the engine block. amazing how many electrical gremlins can be cured with a good ground.
Attached Images

Bearhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
toms68cst

Looks great!

I've noticed weird noises too on my am radio. I was alongside a Harley(?) a few weeks ago and I picked up a lot of noise from it's ignition until it pulled away. Modern electronics in todays radios probably deal with that stuff better.

Heck, I can jam out to a good song on my AM radio as much as I can on a good stereo.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #5
54blackhornet

You guys actually listen to AM stations. The only thing on AM in my area is C&W plus recorded Rush.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:43 PM   #6
toms68cst

Actually lately, I just listen to rattles, transmission whine, throw out bearing and the thrum of my 327. That's usually much better than anything on the radio. Once and a while I'll tune into a local oldies station.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:20 AM   #7
IronCanine
I'm trying....

As you guys may know Greg from TurnSwitch recently passed away. I think his family is working to keep the speaker side of the business going. They also recommended Howard Foulds to me for radio restoration.

I would prefer a conversion and someone who is willing to refinish the chrome face plate.

Anyone have any additional recommendations/experiences they can share. Turn around time is not the big issue for me. Primarily, quality and completeness of work.

Thanks.
1946 B.F. Avery Model A Tractor http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post8292555

"Sometimes I wonder if zander208 was even real..."
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:54 AM   #8
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCanine View Post
As you guys may know Greg from TurnSwitch recently passed away. I think his family is working to keep the speaker side of the business going. They also recommended Howard Foulds to me for radio restoration.
Sorry to hear about Greg over at TurnSwitch, it is always a great loss when we lose skilled craftsmen like that. I didn't know him, but as a radio guy my self (work mostly old tube radios as a hobby) I know that working this kind of equipment is becoming a bit of a lost art. Hopefully some of the younger folks will find an interest and keep this art going.

My deepest sympathies to Greg's family.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:10 AM   #9
HotWheelsFan

I'm curious if noise is introduced from the power wire to the radio.

Modern day power cords to home electronic devices use a ferrite core around them to block or suppress unwanted frequencies to certain devices.

Might be something to look into? Just a thought...

Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:21 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I never knew about these guys. I'm sorry to hear Turnswitch has passed away.

I never have listened to an AM radio. That was the first thing to go in anything I owned. I prefer all the improvements myself. Purist or not, you can't see the difference but you can sure hear it. They are so many places to convert a vintage radio these days to modern capabilities it isn't funny. Personally, I stick with the guy who has been doing it since before the others ever got the idea. More than likely they got the idea from Mike Hagan www.mikehaganantiqueautoradio.com . I'm sure he'd do a straight restoration as well. But he was a pioneer in vintage radio to modern conversions and he gets my business. He's the best in my eyes

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #11
Beach-Burban

Quote:
I would prefer a conversion and someone who is willing to refinish the chrome face plate.

Anyone have any additional recommendations/experiences they can share. Turn around time is not the big issue for me. Primarily, quality and completeness of work.

Thanks.
Hey IronCanine...I can toss you the two names that were recommended to me, then you can look them up online as they both have very informative websites. Gary Tayman or Richard Blankenship. I can't remember why, but I went with Richard (R & B Vintage Auto Radios) who is in Tennessee, and my radio conversion was just completed yesterday so I don't actually have it yet (it's on it's way to CA)...but Richard seems to do excellent work and posts a wide variety of Youtube videos on completed conversions. Due to the "CHIP" shortage, mine took 10 months...not sure if things are better now, but I'd assume anyone in this business are facing the same or similar hurdles. Besides the conversion, Richard polishes the chrome bezel (not sure if he offers rechroming or not), but I've included the picture he sent me yesterday of mine. I wish I could tell you more but hopefully this will help you explore your options.

Woody

Name:  IMG_1847.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  45.4 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:41 PM   #12
HO455
Post Whore

Gary Tayman did mine. It been in the truck for over 32k miles and I'm very satisfied with the conversion.

I didn't get the Bluetooth module in mine so I can't speak to how that works.

Mr Tayman installed the Aurora conversion system in it.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:50 PM   #13
IronCanine
I'm trying....

Woody...sorry I missed your reply. Thanks for taking the time to give me a heads up. I would have taken your advice. As it turns out, the shop I did choose did an outstanding job. So good that I thought I'd share. I used Joe's Classic Car Radio. Here's a before and after. Pictures don't do it justice.

He did a full soup to nuts. Chromed the face, tone/dummy rings and sourced some deluxe knobs for me. I requested an FM conversion with bluetooth. Every surface, every fastener looks brand new. It even smells good.
Attached Images

1946 B.F. Avery Model A Tractor http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post8292555

"Sometimes I wonder if zander208 was even real..."
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:13 AM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I plan on getting my original radio converted to A/M F/M with Bluetooth etc and had looked all the shops mentioned in this post. I actually talked with Richard Blankenship about it, he answered the phone, and think I will use him for the conversion. Just gonne put Retrosounds dual coil Ultrathin front speaker up front and seeing my gas tank is not in the cab I am going to " bigblock73's" corner speaker brackets with 6 x 9's. Just want things to look original and be able to use my phone hands free and stream music from it..

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...k-series-truck

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:38 AM   #15
mkmc69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I plan on getting my original radio converted to A/M F/M with Bluetooth etc and had looked all the shops mentioned in this post. I actually talked with Richard Blankenship about it, he answered the phone, and think I will use him for the conversion. Just gonne put Retrosounds dual coil Ultrathin front speaker up front and seeing my gas tank is not in the cab I am going to " bigblock73's" corner speaker brackets with 6 x 9's. Just want things to look original and be able to use my phone hands free and stream music from it..

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...k-series-truck
I like that speaker option. I may check into that myself. As far as conversion/restoration goes, I am going with Richard Blankenship https://www.randbvintageradio.com/. I spoke to him at the C10 Nationals @ Nashville. Very nice guy and the quality of his work is outstanding. I don't think there would be any disappointments in going with him either.
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:30 AM   #16
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Woody...sorry I missed your reply. Thanks for taking the time to give me a heads up. I would have taken your advice. As it turns out, the shop I did choose did an outstanding job. So good that I thought I'd share. I used Joe's Classic Car Radio. Here's a before and after. Pictures don't do it justice.

He did a full soup to nuts. Chromed the face, tone/dummy rings and sourced some deluxe knobs for me. I requested an FM conversion with bluetooth. Every surface, every fastener looks brand new. It even smells good.
I'm glad you found someone to do your work...and WOW...it looks incredible!!!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:41 PM   #17
Jason Banks

I have that same speaker, I'd recommend it, it sounds great. I'm using it with a cheapo bluetooth amp and have a radio delete plate.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:01 PM   #18
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I have that same speaker, I'd recommend it, it sounds great. I'm using it with a cheapo bluetooth amp and have a radio delete plate.
Thanks, good to know as never sure with this stuff ths one is a little tough to install on an A/C truck.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote