The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #1
SideStepper

Exterior cab sunvisor fasteners question

I would like to install an aftermarket steel sunvisor above the windshield on my 55.2 truck cab. What size holes are in the sunvisor & what size & type fasteners are best for securing it to the cab? Has anyone used nutserts style fasteners for this application? Any installation tips are welcomed.
SideStepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:44 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Exterior cab sunvisor fasteners question

Search lowrider Bomb parts sites. Visors were never a main stream thing after old men quit wearing fedora and sports coats as daily wear no matter what their job was and became a lowrider Bomb thing but didn't get seen outside of East La until Lowrider Magazine came about. Lowrider went down the dumper along with all the rest of the magazines that got shut down including Classic Truck. Still that is where your source is the lowrider parts stores.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
1project2many

Factory visor instructions can be found here: http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...cpctai206.html

The original visor mounted under the edge of the cab above the glass using sheet metal screws and lockwashers. The original instructions call for a 3/32" drill. Aftermarket visors may use different fastening methods and I'd advise looking at the instructions for the visor you are installing for specific information.

I like nutserts. We often use them to install signs on the rooftops of small vans and they stay put for years. I would probably consider using them for a visor installation.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
SideStepper

Thanks guys for your input. I plan to purchase a visor soon, I have been talking to visor owners who have installed them using sheet metal screws per the instructions & they claim they have never had any problems with them shaking lose. Just the thought of it, makes me nervous.
Thanks again 1project2many, for the great website illustrations you provided. I too like nutsert fasteners & prefer them over any other type fastener.
Eliminating the possibility of damaging any sheet metal around the windshield is my primary objective.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #5
BBPanel

Please followup as to fitment, etc. I have a oem visor on one 55.2 project that fits great and a second repo visor for another 55.2 project that doesn't come close to fitting correctly. I think it would be wise to insure it can be returned if not happy with it.
BBPanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
G&R's57GMC

Be sure to use Painters Blue tape to protect the paint on the Cab when trial fitting the visor also mirrors and other accessories .

Just stating the obvious . But what the heck just in case it didn't occur to anyone . Ya I know , better safe then sorry .

Now I'll go to my room and think about it .
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #7
1project2many

Quote:
I have been talking to visor owners who have installed them using sheet metal screws per the instructions & they claim they have never had any problems with them shaking lose. Just the thought of it, makes me nervous.
We have big mirrors and other accessories installed on vans with only sheet metal screws. In many cases they never loosen up in 300,000 miles. When they do come loose I use weatherstrip adhesive on the threads of the screw to act as a thread lock. I've never had a problem up north but maybe it won't work in the heat in TX.

A screw is supposed to work like a spring. As you tighten the screw it stretches slightly which helps create friction at the threads. In order for this to actually work you need a strong enough piece of metal to screw into and a screw that will stretch before maximum torque is achieved. Folks often fail to realize that installing a larger diameter screw in a thin piece of sheet metal will often reduce or eliminate the chance that the screw can be stretched before the sheet metal distorts. Smaller diameter is usually better.

The 55.2-59 trucks have two pieces of sheet metal welded together at the top of the windshield. This adds strength and allows a fastener to be tightened more before the metal strips. This may be why many visors never loosen up.

If you have to use sheet metal screws during an installation, a punched hole is often much better than a drilled hole. A drilled hole leaves the metal around the hole flat or slightly raised toward the screw head. A punched hole pushes metal away from the screw head and when a screw is turned into the hole the excess metal is pulled back into the hole where it increases the amount of torque required before the hole is stripped.

Good luck and please report back on this installation, if you complete it.

Last edited by 1project2many; 10-18-2021 at 07:45 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #8
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideStepper View Post
Thanks guys for your input. I plan to purchase a visor soon, I have been talking to visor owners who have installed them using sheet metal screws per the instructions & they claim they have never had any problems with them shaking lose. Just the thought of it, makes me nervous.
Thanks again 1project2many, for the great website illustrations you provided. I too like nutsert fasteners & prefer them over any other type fastener.
Eliminating the possibility of damaging any sheet metal around the windshield is my primary objective.
follow the "screwing" illustrations listed above, and I know this isn't the "norm" but I ground the upper edge flush with the roof then tack welded the visor, ground smooth, applied necessary bondo, sanded and painted. For something different.
Attached Images

my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
SideStepper

My many years of experience in both manufacturing & within our car/truck hobby, has mainly dealt with the "nuts & bolts" of various assemblies. The application & use of sheet metal screws on the other hand, is limited at best.
I really never compared the theory behind of how both bolts & screws are very similar & work in the same way. 1project2many, thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us. I am not too old, to still learn something new every day. I appreciate your response to my post.

my56chevytruck, your smoothed out 1 piece roof design is very unique.

Last edited by SideStepper; 10-19-2021 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added info.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #10
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideStepper View Post
My many years of experience in both manufacturing & within our car/truck hobby, has mainly dealt with the "nuts & bolts" of various assemblies. The application & use of sheet metal screws on the other hand, is limited at best.
I really never compared the theory behind of how both bolts & screws are very similar & work in the same way. 1project2many, thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us. I am not too old, to still learn something new every day. I appreciate your response to my post.

my56chevytruck, your smoothed out 1 piece roof design is very unique.
thanks
Old 10-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #11
my56chevytruck

[QUOTE=SideStepper;8985693]My many years of experience in both manufacturing & within our car/truck hobby, has mainly dealt with the "nuts & bolts" of various assemblies. The application & use of sheet metal screws on the other hand, is limited at best.

my56chevytruck, your smoothed out 1 piece roof design is very unique.[/QUOTE

Last edited by my56chevytruck; 10-21-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #12
_Ogre

i drive truk a lot, as many bugs as i scrub from under the roof overhang, i just imaging any visor being bug packed at all time. also unless i stop 40 feet back from the line, i have to lay down to see traffic lights as is. tf trucks are already as aerodynamic as a brick, i wouldn't put a visor on any driver.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote