The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2015, 03:08 AM   #1
72timemachine

Engine light will not flash any code???

Friend has a 1990 GMC 2500 5.7 ltr. Th400 which has the engine service light on. A scan tool does not work and when I jump the a and b connections where you plug in the scanner to pull the codes, it just flashes once rather than flashing the 12 code which I believe tells you it is communicating correctly and then will spit any trouble codes thereafter.

I pulled a spark plug because the truck feels like it is skipping (engine still feels very strong) and the plug is black so I it seems like it is in a rich condition.

Anyone have a problem like this or know of a thread that I could read for some ideas where to go?

Thanks for any help.
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:48 AM   #2
speedygonzales

Re: Engine light will not flash any code???

Start with an ignition tune up. At least look at the cap and rotor but suggest replacing it and wires as well.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72timemachine View Post
Friend has a 1990 GMC 2500 5.7 ltr. Th400 which has the engine service light on. A scan tool does not work and when I jump the a and b connections where you plug in the scanner to pull the codes, it just flashes once rather than flashing the 12 code which I believe tells you it is communicating correctly and then will spit any trouble codes thereafter.

I pulled a spark plug because the truck feels like it is skipping (engine still feels very strong) and the plug is black so I it seems like it is in a rich condition.

Anyone have a problem like this or know of a thread that I could read for some ideas where to go?

Thanks for any help.
That sounds like the ECM is defective and it is in limp home mode.

My 91 had an ECM circuit board come loose inside the case and it would go from running normal to limp home mode randomly after hitting a bump. I figured it out when I pulled the ECM and heard the noise inside.

I put my chip into a spare ECM I had sitting around and it fixed the problem.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
ChevyTech

I agree it sounds like an ECM failure.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote