The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Member Dealings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2022, 03:02 PM   #1
knuckle-nurse

problem with seller hooverfish

Bought an item listed as "a.m. radio, nice $145.00 shipped". Seller PMd that if paying by Pay Pal send as "friend". This is against forum and Pay Pal rules and is fraud. I sent the other option a money order. He got it, sent the radio and then he said the bank sent back the money order and wanted payment by Pay Pal. I told him I would Pay Pal him when I got the money order back. He started getting nasty but I got the money order back and Pay Pal'd him as "purchase" per forum and Pay Pal rules. He demanded the Pay Pal fees and threatened "my reputation". I've been nothing but nice to this guy. At this point it's not the Pay Pal fees, it's the principle of the thing. Not cool.
knuckle-nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:25 PM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: problem with seller hooverfish

Sorry to hear that. I have dealt with you face to face and has been very smooth.
If people are so worried about the fees, just add the 3% to your selling price and move along. If you are talking many hundreds of dollars, i understand.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #3
TKCR

Threatened your reputation? How so, lol? He’s the one breaking forum rules by asking you to pay via PayPal Friends & Family. He needs to worry about his reputation.
I have dealt with hooverfish in the past, never had any issues. But in this case, he’s the one in the wrong, not you. Not only was what he asked of you going against forum rules, but I wouldn’t use Friends & Family either, just because it’s too easy to lose out on the money if something goes wrong with the purchase. You did nothing wrong and everything right. I wouldn’t worry about him getting “nasty” over the PayPal fees.
TKCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:57 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Both good people. It's PayPal "family & friends" that is the bad guy here, and asking to use it was a bad idea. This post would not be here if not for that. As far as sending money orders goes, which is how I've done 100% of my sales and purchases, stick with USPS. Those will never be sent back. I have had one lost in the mail, which meant I had to back out of the sale out of fairness. The USPS waits 90 days before refunding and I wasn't going to send a second one with the other out floating around.

This is a matter of manners, not trust. The request for friends & family was the first mistake and there was no need to get crappy when the money order muddied things up. Crap happens, outside of our control, and 3% is no reason to get cross with another. Add your 3% if PayPal is how you choose to deal.

It's all about "instant results" these days and those who have allowed themselves to depend on that (PayPal) are becoming spoiled. It may take longer for me to use USPS money orders but at least my expectations are still realistic.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 10:50 AM   #5
hooverfish

Well, I just saw this post by knuckle nurse today 6/25/23 and it's only his side of the story.

I told him paypal as a friend or money order. I made a mistake by trusting him and shipped the radio before I got the money order.
He sent a 'bank draft' on a CANADIAN BANK and my federal credit union could not accept because it was from Canada.
So I give him my PP address and he sends it as goods/services, so now I have to pay fees plus federal income taxes due to new laws in 2023.
Told him I didnt like it but NEVER threatened his 'reputation' what a joke.

Took me almost a month to get paid, he was on vacation in Florida, wouldnt pay until he got home
and got the Bank Draft I had to return to him before he would pay for the radio.

He is the one who did not do the deal we agreed to.

And he posts a complaint? Some people ....

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"

Last edited by hooverfish; 06-25-2023 at 11:01 AM.
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 12:11 AM   #6
knuckle-nurse

I'm afraid sir your memory is a little foggy. What happened is stated in the first post. The bank draft I sent you, although sent from Canada, was in US funds and drawn on a US bank (JP Morgan Chase Bank, Syracuse, NY). It's the same bank draft from the same bank I've been using for more than 50 years (I'm 59). I've sent hundreds of these and have never had one returned. I was in Kentucky a few years ago picking up some NOS bedsides from a fine gentleman and ended up buying more parts. I was short on US cash and he said take the parts and send the money when you get back to Canada. I sent him the same bank draft from the same bank and he had no problem cashing it at his Kentucky bank. You sent the bank draft back to me at the Florida address by the way. As I'm not in the habit of paying for something twice, once I received it I paypaled you immediately according to the forum rules. I'm sorry you had a problem with your bank but there was no need to be rude and demanding I go against forum rules. I quote "it's your reputation" means what? I would not have posted the original thread but was informed to do so by the site administration. I consider this matter closed and bid you a good evening.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:57 PM   #7
hooverfish

Angry Re: problem with seller hooverfish

I was wrong to offer PayPal-friend as an option, my bad, won't offer that anymore.
For me it's not about the fees, it's about getting a 1099 IRS form at the end of the year.

On our disagreement, it sure looks like a CANADIAN BANK to me, see picture below.

You say you're 'sorry' I had a problem with my bank ?? Most people would apologize for sending a non-negotiable bank draft and
maybe then send a USPS or Western Union MONEY ORDER, as originally agreed to. I'm sorry that you just dont get it.

And nobody cares how many times you've done this in the past, or how long you have banked at Royal Bank of Canada,
or how old you are (I am older than you but who cares).

"Its your reputation" means that how you do businees is reflected in your reputation, not a threat.

Lastly, you say you "would not have posted the original thread but was informed to do so by the site administration"
Do you ever accept personal responsiblity for ANYTHING ?

And now I am done too.
Attached Images

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:38 AM   #8
knuckle-nurse

The bank that the above-pictured bank draft is drawn and cleared on is right at the top of the draft: JP Morgan Chase Bank Syracuse, NY. This bank draft is issued for the United States only in US dollars. The same bank draft that was sent and cashed by 'Too Much Stuff', 'Orange 71 Shorty' and many others on this forum.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:34 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

It seems purchases done across borders should probably be done either with PayPal, so charge accordingly, or us USPS money orders. With the form of payment used here, it seems obvious it doesn't always work... 100% of the time. 95% doesn't cut it. Like I said in my prior post, two good people here. The problem lies withing the financial institutions. Let this be a lesson to all, don't mess with forms of payment outside of PayPal or USPS money orders. I'm not about to determine whether the draft was an issue or the bank was wrong in not accepting. I will just say a USPS money order works 100%, even across the border. I have bought many parts from Canadian members with zero issue for them cashing a USPS money order. I use them exclusively for purchases and in the 19 years I've been on this site, no issues ever

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:18 AM   #10
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It seems purchases done across borders should probably be done either with PayPal, so charge accordingly, or us USPS money orders. With the form of payment used here, it seems obvious it doesn't always work... 100% of the time. 95% doesn't cut it. Like I said in my prior post, two good people here. The problem lies withing the financial institutions. Let this be a lesson to all, don't mess with forms of payment outside of PayPal or USPS money orders. I'm not about to determine whether the draft was an issue or the bank was wrong in not accepting. I will just say a USPS money order works 100%, even across the border. I have bought many parts from Canadian members with zero issue for them cashing a USPS money order. I use them exclusively for purchases and in the 19 years I've been on this site, no issues ever
I agree, as I was reading the pasts posts, I was thinking the same thing. The problem seemed to be with the Bank. And it could have just been the particular person at the bank didn’t know what they were doing? Both members are blaming each other, when it seems that the blame lies with the bank.
TKCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 10:57 AM   #11
jayoldschool

The problem is Hooverfish's bank. I can confirm that RBC USD money order is correct, and proper for a USD transaction. Used them many many times. I've been on ebay since 1999, and that's a long time before paypal was used. Sent many RBC USD money orders for purchases.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote