The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
70cst

Old Oil Filters- will the paper elements degrade & cause filtering issues

I recently purchased two NOS White PF25 oil filters plus the Blue PF25 oil filters as a package. A comment was made about the integrety of the paper e;ements after all these years -- which I never thought of - Should I worry about the paper elemets degrading and creating oil flow issues or is this not an issues.
Thanks
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 07-30-2022 at 09:23 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:15 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Old Oil Filters- will the paper elements degrade & cause filtering issues

I think they will probably be fine to use With no signs of water damage Etc, But is it really worth it when a new filter is so cheap and the only clue that you'll have if they do break down and cause a problem it's to late , They look great sitting on a shelf in the garage .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #3
HotWheelsFan

Open one up and physically tear into the paper element, I'd bet they should be fine.
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:04 PM   #4
Sheepdip

I have read about oil filters coming apart but have never experienced it or know anyone who has.
I would think for that to happen it would have to be so dirty or plugged for it to actually disintegrate the insides of the filter.
There is always the possibility of a defective product with anything.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 02:41 PM   #5
cericd

This thread and your other oil filter thread got me thinking. I've been looking around the web and came across a video of a guy comparing an AC Delco filter from approximately 1990 to a newer version of a similar AC Delco filter made recently. I haven't finished watching the video but once he showed the inside of the canister, I wanted to post here in case you want to watch the video.

Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGg1rEZDiHg and a screenshot showing the inside of the canister of the old filter.
Attached Images

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:42 PM   #6
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
This thread and your other oil filter thread got me thinking. I've been looking around the web and came across a video of a guy comparing an AC Delco filter from approximately 1990 to a newer version of a similar AC Delco filter made recently. I haven't finished watching the video but once he showed the inside of the canister, I wanted to post here in case you want to watch the video.

Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGg1rEZDiHg and a screenshot showing the inside of the canister of the old filter.
Thanks - solid info

Whats your thoughtd folks?

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:01 PM   #7
jaros44sr

I have to agree with the grumpy old man, is worth it? They would look better in a display case, not on your engine. Send some to me, I have a lot of automoblia(speling?)

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:24 PM   #8
72c20customcamper

Quote:

Not sure why he was so concerned about surface rust on the canister .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 12:15 AM   #9
kwmech

So what's next?? use by dates on oil filters? I have 20 year old 5 gallon pails of 15/40, 90wt and ATF. The have dating on them.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 12:28 AM   #10
garyd1961

I was working at a chevy dealership when ACDelco switched from a usa made filter to a foreign made filter. I noticed it right away, you can look at the base of the filter and tell the difference. The US made filter has a thicker curved base and the foreign filter has a flat base made of lighter metal. The very first one I removed from a car my filter pliers went rigjt through the casing of the filter like it was an egg shell.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 09:42 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:

No offense, but what bunch of nonsense. There are engineering trades on every design. He's making a bunch of measurements that mean very little in those oil filter's utility. #clueless Either one of those filters met the manufacturer's warranty criteria for filtration efficiency, or they wouldn't have been offered for sale. I've seen where people hate on Fram filters, and I've used them for decades without an oil-related failure, and 1 million+ miles over the time I've been driving.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 09:58 PM   #12
cericd

None taken. I don’t know Jack about different oil filters. I thought that since the original poster was worried about the degradation of the “old” filter media, he may also want to know that there is a possibility of the inside of the canister being all rusty. I wasn’t saying that the guy that made the video knew what he was talking about. Just that he had cut an old AC Delco filter open and showed the inside. That’s why I posted a pic of the rust.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:01 PM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
None taken. I don’t know Jack about different oil filters. I thought that since the original poster was worried about the degradation of the “old” filter media, he may also want to know that there is a possibility of the inside of the canister being all rusty. I wasn’t saying that the guy that made the video knew what he was talking about. Just that he had cut an old AC Delco filter open and showed the inside. That’s why I posted a pic of the rust.
Fair enough...and I wouldn't want a filter that may be rusty on the inside, though it probably wouldn't matter that much, really. Oil isn't going to lift the rust off and circulate it through the engine.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:09 AM   #14
chevmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
\ I've seen where people hate on Fram filters, and I've used them for decades without an oil-related failure, and 1 million+ miles over the time I've been driving.
I have been guilty of hating on the Frams, and I will be honest, I used to use nothing but Fram, and Pennzoil. In 1991 I purchased a new C1500 4x4, and had it in for a warranty issue (non oil related), and I had noticed it had a brief knock on startup every morning, so I asked the service manager about it. He asked what filter I had on it, and I told him it was a Fram. He said, there is your issue, and advised I get that off and not use Fram filters. The 4x4 pickups at the time had a filter mounted sideways, and that filter did not have an anti-drainback valve therefore it allowed the filter to empty on shutoff. Now, with that said, I have no idea if that is still the case, but I have not used one since. But, I am normally one that I never go back once I find an issue with quality. At the time he did recommend the AC Delco filters, even though I never have my oil changed at a dealer, and never purchased one from them. I did use the Delco filters on that pickup while I owned it, and never again had the knock at startup, so what he said may have had some merit, and I am also sure Fram may have had more than one grade of filter, or the ones I purchased may have been missing that feature since it was sold at WM as I know manufacturers often cut corners to sell cheaper to some stores (not unusual). At any rate, there is my one and only reason I never use Fram oil filters. I have watched this thread with interest, as I also know I will not pay $15 for a filter when I know there are good filters out there for a reasonable price, and price or name brand does not always mean much if anything.
chevmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:52 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Oil filters, batteries, coolant, and many other automotive products are made by but a few companies and branded by the rest. Some are made to higher specs than others.

On these old stock filters, I'm inclined to say they should be just fine. The hesitation is understandable with the possible consequences. I like the idea of cutting one open to test the condition. If the paper isn't coming apart or degraded at all, I don't know why there would be any problems. I would also pour oil through and look at the oil. Next I'd try running one for a very short while, remove and inspect

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote