The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2023, 12:58 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

N.O.S. GM P/S box

This is a 2wd power steering box for up to '75 or '76 I believe. That's what I remember from when I ordered it. I guess it's up until metric fittings. Anyway, these were not cheap from GM, like $350. There are modern alternatives and they are rebuildable, so I was wondering how much it matters about N.O.S. as far as value.

I had ordered it for a '71 K/20 with sloppy steering. But I decided to part a Blazer I had and used that steering box. Many many years later my '72 K2500 needed a steering box so I dug this one out of the box. All these years later I discovered the parts guy ordered the wrong steering box, a 2wd version. The N.O.S. pitman arm I also ordered was the correct 4wd part.

So I'm asking to see if I'm wrong thinking it's nothing all that special as far as N.O.S. goes (ironically, since it's so important) and I might as well use it on my project and sell the rebuilt for whatever.

I'm looking for opinions as well as a what it's worth.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:51 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: N.O.S. GM P/S box

Maybe see what a redhead box of the same make goes for. They are very popular with a good rep (as far as I know). Might be a good starting point.

I had a bunch of boxes at one time and I sent one in to redhead and had it rebuilt. It came back and I put it away until I needed it. Time came to use it and I had sent in the wrong box to them. Oops.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:17 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: N.O.S. GM P/S box

It's because of Redheads and other alternatives I feel this GM N.O.S. piece is the exception to the rule for N.O.S. It's not like a grille emblem or steering wheel. There are modern alternatives that will look the same and all that matters is that it works properly. It 'should' cost more than a Redhead. It's value is in knowing it is a brand new part exactly the same as came on your truck when brand new. You'd have to tell everybody about it. I should just use it on the '67 project and sell the one that came on the frame that is rebuilt. I posted this thread, I guess, just to confirm what I already thought.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote