The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #26
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: The 'Burban Chronicles.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Oui Vey! It’s been a while since I posted anything on this. Time sure has a way of getting away from a feller. Not a whole lot has changed on her though. I’m sure the paint is a lil thinner and she has another 5-7 thousand miles on the clock. Pretty uneventful really. I guess that’s a good thing!

I did add a Linseed oil overhaul on the body. Pretty good bang fer the buck if you ask me. Gave her a nice satin sheen for a few months and smelled like Norm Abrams workshop!

The only other upgrade worth mentioning was the addition of a 31/10.5/15 tire on the rear. I wanted a 6 ply tire and the increase in tire diameter fits well with my low buck poor mans overdrive mantra. Lol

And since we all love pics, here are a few from this past summer.

As long as you and the family are enjoying it that is the main thing. Looks good,

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #27
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
As long as you and the family are enjoying it that is the main thing. Looks good,

LockDoc
Thanks Leon.
I enjoy the heck out of it. The kids like riding in it when it’s not brutally hot. The wife ain’t crazy about it. I suspect she has gotten soft with new car amenities. Long term plans call for aftermarket front and rear AC to rectify some of the complaints.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #28
HO455
Post Whore

Good to hear things are well down south in spite of all the craziness in the world today.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:49 AM   #29
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Good to hear things are well down south in spite of all the craziness in the world today.
Yeah, it has been a weird spring and summer. We have been very fortunate in that we have been relatively unaffected. On the plus side, I have been able to see more of the kids than I normally would have. Gotta look for the silver lining!
Keep on keepin’ on!!

Old 01-02-2021, 09:53 PM   #30
c1971

Nice job! I enjoy building low buck rides myself, along with using as many factory pieces as possible, sure makes emergencies easier to fix when away from home and being able to go to the auto parts stores for parts. I have a 1989 Suburban that I have owned for about 3 1/2 years and it became the family favorite for long distance travel.
c1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:40 PM   #31
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1971 View Post
Nice job! I enjoy building low buck rides myself, along with using as many factory pieces as possible, sure makes emergencies easier to fix when away from home and being able to go to the auto parts stores for parts. I have a 1989 Suburban that I have owned for about 3 1/2 years and it became the family favorite for long distance travel.
Thank you sir!
I could not agree more. Yes there is comfort in knowing I can find replacement parts at just about any parts house.

My father in law had a 91 Suburban K1500? for about 10 years. Regrettably he sold it a few years back. It was insanely reliable and very functional. Great rigs!

Old 01-31-2022, 06:46 PM   #32
Average Joe

Another year and a half has passed and no significant upgrades for the ‘Burb. She has been earning her keep as my daily driver and pulling the occasional trailer. I did inadvertently hit a deer New Year’s Day. I was able to massage most of the damage out for now but will have more work to do if I ever get serious about painting here.

Anyhow,
Here are some pics I’ve collected from her over the past 16 months or so. She truly is one of the best tools I own.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2022, 09:14 PM   #33
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Bad deal on the deer. I used mine a lot when I owned it too. The problem is I didn't own it very long. I am keeping my eye out for another one but It will have to be a driver.....

LockDoc

-
Old 01-31-2022, 10:47 PM   #34
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Do you have bags in the rear? You load a lot and pull a lot, but I dont see a squat.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:41 AM   #35
Average Joe

Quote:
-
Bad deal on the deer. I used mine a lot when I owned it too. The problem is I didn't own it very long. I am keeping my eye out for another one but It will have to be a driver.....

LockDoc
Yeah,

I prided myself on having never hit one. Had too many close calls to count! &hit happens I guess. Big 10-4 on the driver their Leon! Perfect cars are lost on me. Lol

Old 02-01-2022, 12:44 AM   #36
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Do you have bags in the rear? You load a lot and pull a lot, but I dont see a squat.
Yep.
Dominator 2600’s in the rear in place of the coils. Currently has a 3” spacer above the bag as well.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:42 PM   #37
HO455
Post Whore

Looking good! I like working trucks too.
I've been toying with the idea of putting a short bed cargo slide in mine. It should make getting engines in and out of the back easier. My concerns are the loss of cargo space vertically but, mostly I have a feeling it would add a bunch of noise inside the cab.
If I was smarter I would have put one in before I replaced the wood flooring and if I hated it there would be a bunch of unused holes in the old floor not the new floor.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:11 PM   #38
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Looking good! I like working trucks too.
I've been toying with the idea of putting a short bed cargo slide in mine. It should make getting engines in and out of the back easier. My concerns are the loss of cargo space vertically but, mostly I have a feeling it would add a bunch of noise inside the cab.
If I was smarter I would have put one in before I replaced the wood flooring and if I hated it there would be a bunch of unused holes in the old floor not the new floor.
Thanks!

I’ve entertained the idea of a bed slide as well. I had not considered the potential from additional noise. I could see that. The loss of height is a very valid point. I’ll probably just stick to putting down cardboard or plywood on my carpet to help things slide or for protection.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:17 PM   #39
pwdcougar

Nice working rig!
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:28 AM   #40
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
Nice working rig!
Thanks! Sheeza workin’ girl.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:43 PM   #41
pontiacvince

Yours is a great looking (and working!) 'Burb as well! Good to see another one Barn Doors!
pontiacvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:35 PM   #42
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacvince View Post
Yours is a great looking (and working!) 'Burb as well! Good to see another one Barn Doors!
Thanks Vince!

I love me some barn doors.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:19 PM   #43
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I see you've been on the board in this new year, any updates on the burb?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:25 AM   #44
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I see you've been on the board in this new year, any updates on the burb?
Thanks for the bump Mr CG.

Ooooof! It’s been a year. Lots of life changes and other projects have held up progress on the Burb. I have been collecting parts and pieces for a drivetrain upgrade though. No, I’m not doing an LS swap! I’ve got another 454 which will be rebuilt with a lil more squeeze, tiny Comp Cams roller, some reworked peanut ports, and a set of small tube headers. I’m still on the hunt for a noisy gear drive. Yeah, I’m that guy. lol. I’m currently running an AFB style carb but have a few qjets I’d like to try.

Backing that will be a new to me 4L80e I recently picked up. I’m researching controllers now. Looks like US Shift offers the best bang for the buck.

I’m determined to up my mpg. It’s not horrible now at just under 14mpg Hwy but I’d like to see that up around 17. I think I’ll have enough off idle torque to make it a reality. Cruise RPM should come in around 1500. I may have to go to a 3.42 gear but I’m hoping to retain the 3.07’s.

Here’s a few pics from the last year.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2024, 11:53 AM   #45
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks for the bump Mr CG.

Ooooof! It’s been a year. Lots of life changes and other projects have held up progress on the Burb. I have been collecting parts and pieces for a drivetrain upgrade though. No, I’m not doing an LS swap! I’ve got another 454 which will be rebuilt with a lil more squeeze, tiny Comp Cams roller, some reworked peanut ports, and a set of small tube headers. I’m still on the hunt for a noisy gear drive. Yeah, I’m that guy. lol. I’m currently running an AFB style carb but have a few qjets I’d like to try.

Backing that will be a new to me 4L80e I recently picked up. I’m researching controllers now. Looks like US Shift offers the best bang for the buck.

I’m determined to up my mpg. It’s not horrible now at just under 14mpg Hwy but I’d like to see that up around 17. I think I’ll have enough off idle torque to make it a reality. Cruise RPM should come in around 1500. I may have to go to a 3.42 gear but I’m hoping to retain the 3.07’s.

Here’s a few pics from the last year.

I can just about bet the 3.07's will be to high. It may be fine until it shifts into OD and the lockup kicks in. My experience was that when that happened the transmission would overheat and blow fluid out of the front seal. If I drove it locked in 3rd it was fine. Mine was a 4l60e but I'm pretty sure the results would be the same. Maybe the 4l80 would take more heat. I installed a 3.73 (because I had one) and it worked great and gets right around 20mpg. Engine is LS1 5.7. The 3.42 may work fine though.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

-
Old 01-30-2024, 03:51 AM   #46
Average Joe

Quote:
I can just about bet the 3.07's will be to high. It may be fine until it shifts into OD and the lockup kicks in. My experience was that when that happened the transmission would overheat and blow fluid out of the front seal. If I drove it locked in 3rd it was fine. Mine was a 4l60e but I'm pretty sure the results would be the same. Maybe the 4l80 would take more heat. I installed a 3.73 (because I had one) and it worked great and gets right around 20mpg. Engine is LS1 5.7. The 3.42 may work fine though.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Thanks for the input Leon. Any idea on why it was getting hot? Was it not returning fluid fast enough through the cooler? Slipping? Were you able to adjust when it shifted into OD or when the converter locked up? I may have to research controllers a bit more. Some of them have more adjustability than others.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:11 AM   #47
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks for the input Leon. Any idea on why it was getting hot? Was it not returning fluid fast enough through the cooler? Slipping? Were you able to adjust when it shifted into OD or when the converter locked up? I may have to research controllers a bit more. Some of them have more adjustability than others.

It may have slowed down the fluid flow some but I think the overall high ratio was just putting too much stress on the transmission. It was not slipping. The leak coated the whole underside and back of the truck with transmission fluid. It was a mess..... The first indication that I had a problem was that I couldn't see out of the back windows in the rear view mirror because they were coated with transmission fluid.

The engine/transmission/computer/wiring were a unit as removed from the Camaro so no adjustment. I don't think that would make any difference in this situation anyway. I don't think you could adjust that problem out of it.

-
Old 01-31-2024, 06:26 AM   #48
Average Joe

Quote:
It may have slowed down the fluid flow some but I think the overall high ratio was just putting too much stress on the transmission. It was not slipping. The leak coated the whole underside and back of the truck with transmission fluid. It was a mess..... The first indication that I had a problem was that I couldn't see out of the back windows in the rear view mirror because they were coated with transmission fluid.

The engine/transmission/computer/wiring were a unit as removed from the Camaro so no adjustment. I don't think that would make any difference in this situation anyway. I don't think you could adjust that problem out of it.
Thanks again for your insight Leon! Sounds like 3.42’s are in the works or retain the tried and true TH400 and 3.07’s.

Old 01-31-2024, 11:08 AM   #49
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks again for your insight Leon! Sounds like 3.42’s are in the works or retain the tried and true TH400 and 3.07’s.

No problem. This is just my personal experiences.

If anyone else has had a different outcome or experience I hope they will post up about it. Every build is different.....

-
Old 01-31-2024, 02:08 PM   #50
LT7A

I enjoyed reading your thread. Do you guys still have the Holiday Rambler? I snagged a presidential 3000 a while back - yours is much nicer. Your Suburban sits just right. I like the little bit of rake that you have with those tall rear tires. I'm sure it doesn't lift the front tires off the line with the 3.07s, but I'm not sure I would want to mess with 14 MPG with a 454. Gives me hope though for my rig. What will it cost for those extra three MPGs improvement? I think a big consideration for me in what you're pondering is whether or not the turbo 400 is hunting for gears. If it's not... But, whatever the case though, cool rig and I appreciated your perspective as you talked about family priorities etc.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote