The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #1
LT7A

SPID Cleaning/Restoring/Preservation

I have a truck where the SPID came mostly unglued and the previous owner put it in an envelope with a bunch of other pertinent papers. So, fortunately, I have it. Unfortunately, it's dirty and folded in half. I would like to clean it as well as I can without "experimenting" too much. So I figured I would ask any of you has found something that has worked really well. Also, since it's folded, I'm hoping to flatten it out. And then put it into a clear 5x7 sleeve, semi-permanently mounted to the glove box door.
LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #2
dagnabbitt

Re: SPID Cleaning/Restoring/Preservation

I would leave it alone, original, and in the envelope, and have a reproduction one made.

The below person does the 67-72s, I do not know about squares but someone must do them.

http://outintheshop.com/2.html

I realize that people frequently offer alternatives to what the question is about as opposed to an actual answer and that is what I have done, it can be annoying. So I would say that if you really want to restore your original SPID I would take it to a conservator. If you cannot find one, most frames shops could provide you with a contact.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I would leave it alone, original, and in the envelope, and have a reproduction one made.

The below person does the 67-72s, I do not know about squares but someone must do them.

I realize that people frequently offer alternatives to what the question is about as opposed to an actual answer and that is what I have done, it can be annoying. So I would say that if you really want to restore your original SPID I would take it to a conservator. If you cannot find one, most frames shops could provide you with a contact.
I believe Jeff has done some of the later 70's blue border SPID labels. I believe they were turned out on the same printers as the 60's labels.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 10-20-2021 at 06:30 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
TKCR

Jeff redid mine. I still have the original, but I put the new one in the glove box. This pic is the original. I’ll gave to get one of the new one.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 10-20-2021 at 06:49 PM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:01 PM   #5
44th Miss Inf

I would love to have a reproduction one, but my truck has a full SPID sheet (40 something options) and at $3 a piece after 8, just not worth it for me
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:05 AM   #6
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post

I appreciate your thoughts on this, along with the other folks who have made suggestions. Clean up, fix, and restore is my mantra for this truck though. Not going to spend multi-tens of dollars, haha, for something I already have. It was originally going to be a parts truck, so it's not going to be a concourse restoration. I drove it home 200 miles from where I bought it and halfway home decided it was too nice and ran too well to pull apart though. And it's optioned quite nicely, so I thought it would be worthwhile to put the SPID back into service. So what I'll do is start cleaning it up, and I can report back here on what works. Budget limitations also rule out using a conservator. But I'll try to stop short of doing any damage, so that if I ever wanted it professionally restored, it would still be possible.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:12 PM   #7
LT7A

The first couple pictures are of it in its current condition. The next one is after cleaning it with a soft dry cloth and then a damp cloth. I was very surprised how much the damp cloth removed. I didn't realize until going through the papers from the truck recently, that the previous owner must have been a smoker. Maybe he had quit as I did not smell it in the cab when I bought the truck. But the papers all smelled like smoke, and I guess there's no reason I shouldn't expect it to have made its way into the glove box. So just the damp cloth removed a significant amount of dirt and yellowing. I'm going to let it rest, haha, and then try it with a damp cloth and a tiny bit of mild hand soap.

Update: Maybe pictures another day. For the first time ever I got the missing security token error. 3 times.

Last edited by LT7A; 10-26-2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:27 PM   #8
65chevysub

On my 84 Sierra 2500, my SPID was mounted on the inner fender. Why I dont know, but I managed to get it off in one piece, and made a few color copies of it. I keep the original in a binder with other papers, owners manual etc, and will eventually put the copy in the glove box
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #9
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevysub View Post
On my 84 Sierra 2500, my SPID was mounted on the inner fender. Why I dont know, but I managed to get it off in one piece, and made a few color copies of it. I keep the original in a binder with other papers, owners manual etc, and will eventually put the copy in the glove box
That's a good hybrid of ideas. if I can get mine to lay flat, maybe I will make a color copy and have it laminated. Should be pretty cheap, and that way the copy can take the wear and tear in the glove box. That's one of the reasons I appreciate this forum. Something that's seemingly insignificant can get the attention of a few well-meaning individuals and trickle its way down into a solution that works for the given circumstances. My original has cleaned up pretty well and I'll try again to post a couple pictures.