The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #1
nsb29

Broke down in Southern Cal

I’m looking for someone who can point me in the direction of a good transmission guy I am In 29 palms but can go to Redlands San Bernardino wherever thanks for any help
Old 10-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Broke down in Southern Cal

Von's Transmission - owner Von Neal
1904 Riverview Dr #103, San Bernardino, CA 92408
1 909-838-6581

He builds the transmissions for my hot rods.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
nsb29

Thanks I found a guy in yucca valley CP Automotive comes highly recommended if it doesn’t work out I’ll give your guy a call you call these shops that advertise transmission repair but when you call them all they do is replace them lol I can do that thanks again
Old 10-26-2021, 11:57 PM   #4
slepysal

29 Palms (the stumps) Yikes
hope you get it sorted

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:06 PM   #5
nsb29

Be nice now I grew up here I liked it better the way it was in the 50s and 60s. when I built my chassis eight years ago everybody was removing the three finger flange on the 6L 80 E transmission and using a 400 Bolton yolk with a slip joint in the driveshaft it hnas turned out to be a bad combination and it wears out the bushing in the extension housing,so I am having the output shaft and housing changed to one from A truck now I can use conventional driveshaft which I should’ve done in the first place. will be heading back to Florida in December
Old 10-28-2021, 08:18 PM   #6
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Be nice now I grew up here I liked it better the way it was in the 50s and 60s.
Not bashing !!! I was there in the early 80's when I was in the Corps.

Glad you are getting it fixed, and stay safe

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
Not bashing !!! I was there in the early 80's when I was in the Corps.

Glad you are getting it fixed, and stay safe
When you referred to it as 29 stumps I pretty much figured you’ve been in the service out here hopefully I’ll be back on the road in a week or so
Old 10-29-2021, 07:13 PM   #8
VictoriaHardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
... removing the three finger flange on the 6L 80 E transmission and using a 400 Bolton yolk with a slip joint in the driveshaft...
Read your past posts and I'm following your lead in yoke/driveshaft design on my '66 C10 LS/6L80. Just about to cut metal on the Turbo 400 yoke. Please tell me more about your bad experience. Are you sure that was the cause of the bushing wear? How many miles did it last? I'm guessing that now I will have to swap in truck 2WD parts like you.
VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:21 AM   #9
nsb29

I went through a couple of bushings I also had another yoke turn down had the drive shaft check for the balance everything seemed fine but by the time I got to Southern California 2500 mi. I had picked up the vibration again so I called Denys drivelines he told me the 400 yoke does not fit the output shaft Tight enough were there original three finger flange was machined for almost a press fit told me there was an adapter that could be bolted to the three finger flange The problem I had was there is a pilot shaft on the end of the output shaft that centers this adapter but using the bolt on yoke I had to cut that pilot shaft off so that was not an option for me so therefore my only choice was to go to a truck output shaft and housing that way I could use a normal 400 slip yoke and driveshaft and get away from having the slip in the drive shaft He also told me the eight years ago a lot of people used the 400 bolt on yoke but everybody was having problems with it I just discovered the problem because it took me eight years to get the truck on the road LMAO 🤣 in the long run I think changing it over to a truck set up is the best thing to do if you have any other questions give me a holler
Old 10-30-2021, 05:01 PM   #10
VictoriaHardware

Thanks for the history. You just saved me a lot of time, money, and aggravation. Now off to find another 6L80 to get 2WD truck parts from.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #11
nsb29

The output shaft is the last thing that comes out and the first thing that goes back in you have to tear the whole thing apart to do it depending on how many miles on your transmission I would recommend a rebuild kit I’m not a transmission guy and my understanding is these have sum issues like cracks in the clutch housing and other stuff I don’t remember them all I started to do it myself but decided to let a pro that was familiar with the 6l80 do it I’m glad I was able to help
Old 11-09-2021, 10:35 PM   #12
VictoriaHardware

Here are the two parts that are needed... I think that is all. Hopefully this helps the next person with a '07-'11 6L80.

First is the output shaft assembly. It is GM p/n 24239394. That p/n has been supeseded and apparently the new p/n has been discontinued. That means a used part is the only option. I found a good used one from a person parting out a core.

Second is the extension housing assembly. GM p/n 24224676 comes with the bushing and seal installed for ~ $75. It is all new and not made in China. I see many advertised for more than that for just a used casting that still needs a bushing and seal.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2021, 11:11 PM   #13
nsb29

Have mine back from the shop and installed works like it should had all the upgrades dun at the same time shifts much better are you going to do it your self or are you having it dun
Old 11-11-2021, 06:09 PM   #14
VictoriaHardware

The swap will have to be done by someone else