The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #1
Scurry67

67 SWB First Build

Been lurking this site for the last year or so. Lots of great information from some knowledgable people. A little bit about my project....

As a senior in high school we were required to complete a senior project prior to graduation. My dad and I had always really liked these body style of pickups so we thought it would be a great senior project to rebuild one. We acquired a 67 cab from a fella my dad knew. It was in a pretty rough shape. Would require new inner/outer rockers, cab corners, and lower A pillars. The inner windshield was rusted out pretty good, as well as areas of the windshield channel. A previous owner also attempted to shave the drip rail. All in all, I figured it would be an awesome learning experience and I couldn't make it any worse than how I got it.

Anyways, long story short; i bit off way more than I could chew for my senior year... Too busy playing sports and chasing girls Switched projects to something non related and managed to graduate.

During college I hardly touched the project on school breaks. After 4 years of college I started a job in Seattle (opposite side of the state) so the project would stay at my dad's shop, still hardly touched. After 4 years on the west side, my wife and I moved back to eastern WA and purchased a house. My only requirement for the house is it had to have a shop.

This past spring I was finally able to get my cab back and in my shop. I've slowly started diving into the rust removal. I have very little experience welding and performing body work, so bare with me. My dad runs an automotive parts and paint supply store back home and has some experience in the field. So he has been very helpful for advice.

Below is a pic of when I got the cab back up to my new shop this last spring. I'll try to get more photos uploaded and get my project to-date through out the next few days.
Attached Images

Scurry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:07 AM   #2
Scurry67

Re: 67 SWB First Build

Throughout the spring I spent my time cutting out all of the rust on the passenger side cab and replacing with new patches. Those patch panels sure do require a lot of slicing and dicing to fit right.

My welding is slowly getting better but still not much to desire

Around this time frame I started looking for another pickup for a frame and bed. I lucked out after patently waiting and purchased an original 68 SWB. The cab is in decent condition but I decided to stick with the 67 cab as I've already put a good amount of time into it.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
Scurry67

Earlier this summer I started to attack the window channel and the inner roof rust at the top of the windshield. That patch was pretty tricky to put in. Before I installed the patch I sprayed some rustmort between the roof panels and applied por15 as far back as I could. For the most part the rust was concentrated around the front by the windshield.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Scurry67

The passenger door from the parts truck had a good amount of rust in the bottom of it. I patched that and also coated the interior with some rust Mort. Later I painted some POR15 inside the door.

Also continued on some miscellaneous patches in the floor and cab corners.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
Scurry67

Continued on cab corners and rockers. I also tried to replicate the radius on the firewall. I think it turned out alright.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Scurry67

The previous owner of the cab had started to remove to drip rail on the passenger side of the cab. I decided to give it a try. I did lots of research on here beforehand and the main thing I learned was to take my time. I thought the toughest part was the pie cut area where the a pillar ties into the roof. I used some 1/4" rod around the door frame and tired it into the a pillar. There was also a good article in a classic trucks magazine that was helpful.

Although I'm glad I did this modification, I probably wouldn't have done it if the previous owner hadn't started it. It was very time consuming
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
Andyking1203

Looks like you are well on your way... have fun, and good luck!!!
Andyking1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:22 PM   #8
Scurry67

Later I did some rust restoration on the dash. I think the cab previously had a cracked windshield because there was a lot of heavy pitted areas in the windshield channel.

Eventually got the dash installed. Planning on not using a dash pad, so I filled the holes with little patches and then mudded the area.

Also started replacing the lower fender cup in the passenger fender. The patch was close, but required various pie cuts to fit better. I think it turned out alright.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2018, 01:14 AM   #9
Scurry67

Finally got it to date. This weekend I worked on smoothing the firewall. Still going to need some touch up, but it's getting close. Also through she mud over my 1/4" door rails. Hopefully get the glaze going by next weekend.

I've started stripping the old paint off of the fenders. Goal is to have all the bodywork done on the cab and front end by The spring time.

Installed a heater in the shop this last week. Definitely makes working out there a lot more enjoyable during the cold weather.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #10
Scurry67

Recently I've been doing some miscellaneous items on the project. Got one of the fenders in epoxy primer. Still have a few areas to touch up on the metal work. Patched a few spots on the driver side door as well as pulled a few dents. Used some body filler on the driver side rocker/cab corner welded seam. Need to touch it up a little more.

started removing the original paint on the tailgate. That has been a PIA and time consuming. Hoping to start doing some more body filler/sanding on the cab this weekend.

Also, I've been doing some research on a new suspension system. The ridetech streetgrip kit has caught my eye. From what I've read, this would be about a 4/6 drop. Anyone running this kit and have an opinion on it?

Thanks!

Al

Name:  05473796-C0D3-4909-825C-CC3FEFD83033.jpg
Views: 5016
Size:  25.4 KB

Name:  6E097E45-0115-43B0-A645-B0B52C4EFC7F.jpg
Views: 4845
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  CDBFC950-3D71-41C6-BB01-C3D38FBFA900.jpg
Views: 4660
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  B4C6C569-525E-43B0-9F76-9B139DE202D8.jpg
Views: 4712
Size:  46.4 KB
Old 12-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
projectking

Nice work! For paint removal try a heat gun and razor blades.
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
Scurry67

My dad swung by yesterday and gave me some pointers on body filler and sanding. We started on a fender and the back of the cab. Still a ways to go but a good starting point.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2018, 03:28 AM   #13
Scurry67

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I was pretty busy visiting mine and my wife's family the last couple of days. I worked on the fender and back of the cab for about an hour tonight. Still more to do. I have some "oil canning" on the passenger rear cab from over doing the hammer and dolly work. Hoping to address it by shrinking the metal with a stud welder shrink tip. Planning to finish the body filler on the fender and the majority of the back of the cab by the new year.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
Getter-Done

Looking good.
I'm along for the ride.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:39 AM   #15
Scurry67

I spent about an hour in the shop tonight after watching some football. My Wazzu Cougs came out on top and it was a very good game. Go Cougs!

Anyways, still sanding the cab and fenders. Seems to be going okay. Still some low spots to address, but progress is progress

Plan on hopping back on it this weekend again.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #16
raggedjim

Great work on the rust repairs, it wears me out!

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd

Last edited by raggedjim; 12-29-2018 at 01:20 PM.
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #17
Scurry67

Happy New year! I spent the day in the shop working on the truck. I had some oil-canning on the rear of the cab so I used a shrink tip for a stud welder to shrink the metal. Did not take much to get it back down.

Because I shaved the drip rails and welded the rocker/cab corner seam, I decide to weld the roof seam. Spent about an hour removing the old seam-sealer and then started welding. Hopefully get it finished up in the next couple of days.

Continued on the body filler for the back of the cab and a fender. It's starting to look pretty dang straight. If all goes well, should start using the glaze by next weekend.

Have a good New year.

Cheers 🍻

Al
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2019, 04:34 AM   #18
Scurry67

Welp, I haven't gotten as much done as if liked to. Usually try to squeeze at least an hour in after work each day. For the most part I stay fairly productive and try to multi task on a few things at a time.
I've been chipping away at the body filler on the back of the cab. It's a pretty good work out. Still some low spots to get back to. I'm not super concerned with the portion that will be hidden by the bed. Just trying to get it better than it was.
Also started stripping the paint on the passenger door. While I was at it, I removed the vent window and window. It is a slow process removing the paint with my small compressor. Hopefully I'm doing the right thing removing the paint with some stripping disks on my grinder instead of taking it to get sand blasted. I'm looking into an upgrade for a compressor so I can also spray some primer when that time comes.

Pictures below.

Al
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #19
Andyking1203

Just be careful not to over heat the metal while stripping it.. I'm doing the same thing with 60 grit..
Old 01-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #20
Getter-Done

Great progress.
Did the shrink tip process take care of your oil-canning?
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #21
Scurry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyking1203 View Post
Just be careful not to over heat the metal while stripping it.. I'm doing the same thing with 60 grit..
Yeah I try to stay cautious of that and not keep the wheel in the same spot for long. I have a small hand held sand blaster I'll use for those tough to get spots.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #22
Scurry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Great progress.
Did the shrink tip process take care of your oil-canning?
Appreciate it.

Yeah that tip did the trick. Only had to do one spot and it brought the area down like I was hoping
Old 01-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #23
Scurry67

After finishing some chores for the day, I went to the shop for a couple of hours. Got the entire back of the cab in body filler. At this point there are only a few spots to clean up and then I'll get some glaze on it.

Also almost done removing the paint on the outer skin off the passenger door. Looking forward to being done with all that paint stripping.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #24
Andyking1203

The paint stripping is a painful crappy process... your door looks like mine... think I'm gonna do the wire wheel on the rest of it..

Your truck is looking good
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2019, 02:06 AM   #25
Scurry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyking1203 View Post
The paint stripping is a painful crappy process... your door looks like mine... think I'm gonna do the wire wheel on the rest of it..

Your truck is looking good
Thanks man.

That's a good call on the wire wheel. I'll be doing the same thing on mine too. Also have a plethora of old mirror holes and trim holes to fill.

Your project is coming along nice, too. The rust repair and paint stripping is very time consuming.