The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2023, 12:15 AM   #1
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

87 c-10 r-10 pulse wiper options

Mann, time invested in this is gnarly.

this may help someone that has a wiper motor that operates slow... painfully slow:

I un bent the 4 tabs that holds to 3 pin connector housing cover, then removed the center winding/drive assembly. Communicator looked good, no grooves, brushes looked good... got a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol and wiped down the bushing and mating surfaces, added the only grease I had, transmission assembly goo, to those areas, reinstalled and... well, wipers were definitely faster... no delay, which is the whole point here, but the wipers definitely are way faster, id say as good as new.. for how long? I don't know.

My truck is a 1987 R-10 Silverado, all the options... pretty sure pulse board no good as the wiring is good and installed a new stalk switch and pulse seems to be intermittent. I cannot find any info on rebuilding the pulse board, nor have the know how to trouble shoot the board either... (The switch had a broken wire in the column aswell)

Ive been looking at other cars of the era and they have other boards, the switch's are different .. and the wiper motor pinouts are also different, from the research, it looks as if most of them get power from the wiper switch, vs ground so not going to be plug n play.

As far as the time invested: I've researched a pretty cool aftermarket option for pulse wiper upgrade, $650 for a wiper motor, adapter bracket, separate wire harness, and a pulse switch designed for 84 and lower? Its c-10 with the pulse selector on the cluster bezel. Nothing for 85-87 style with pulse on the column, plus it needs another hole in the firewall...

After searching, found the motor they use on rock auto for cheap, n.o.s GM 50 + shipping, bought it and wired it up per schematic matching the motor just to play with it. works as designed in high and low speeds... so far the only advantage is its cheaper than Factory... well, cheaper motor, not solution, smaller motor than c-10 and different style of drive, inductive magnet motor v/s permanent magnet motor which is the more modern ones. Not sure if the old inductive magnet motors are the same internals.... New wiper motor drives a plastic gear which fails and breaks or strips if the wipers are bound...

Spent about a month, lol, on the ardunio code, trying, tweaking and posting up for advice on problems and have a working setup in tinkercad. Next step would be to do a prototype board but I will need to swap out the wiper switch for a OBS. The 87 pulse circuit resistor strip might not be a resistor strip as It measures, but might be something else... its definitely not clicky like modern wipers, it feels like a potentiometer... it does vary resistance and in my tinercad sketch, it works based on the programming but the ones actual detents with actual set resistors is ideal.

long story short, today I picked up the truck from storage, pulled the wiper motor off, measured mounting points and its center. Did the same for the new modern wiper. Drew it up in a cad program and now have the template. I didn't get a chance to make any brackets, but decided to take the motor apart and lubed it up (as stated in the first part of the post).

Besides moving forward with a custom pc board and all that goes with it..

Anyone have a solution to getting pulse wipers without going the 600+ aftermarket non column pulse option or continuing down the custom wiper project rabbit hole I seem to be going down

thanks,
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:35 PM   #2
87chevy.com

Re: 87 c-10 r-10 pulse wiper options

Started down the rabbit hole. Found out i already had a 2 channel relay board so wired up the wiper motor and connected switch and Arduino.

Mist, low, high works exactly as expected. Need to upload video but cant add it to the site, will upload shorty

http://www.87chevy.com/video/Wiper1.mp4

sorry for the massive picture, not premium imagehack user at the moment, hosting it on my own site for time being.

test setup

next step is getting pulse setting to work correctly on low speed, then incorporate the actual pulse switch.... eliminate variables... but for now, mist, low and high speed are solid

clint

Last edited by 87chevy.com; 02-09-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:48 PM   #3
87chevy.com

Got the pulse code, to keep it simple, I put the code on the Low Wiper input.

www.87chevy.com/video/Wiper_Delay.mp4

progress is progress

Clint

Old 02-12-2023, 01:15 PM   #4
Axle

Sure makes you appreciate that original pulse module doesn't it?
Quite the project, but certainly something you'll be able to sell as a side-gig.

What is the motor from?
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 07:01 PM   #5
87chevy.com

for sure. I wish i knew how to trouble shoot electronic circuitry. I bet its a cheap component that needs to be replaced lol...
motor is from a 2015 corvette

Old 02-15-2023, 12:51 AM   #6
87chevy.com

delay variable working with input from computer (only because I havnt bought the proper switch yet) ... software side 90% there maybe

Using low speed + input from computer to activate one fo 5 pulse slow speed programs

Wiper module delay testing

clint

Old 02-15-2023, 10:46 PM   #7
87chevy.com

My 1987 wiper switch doesn't have detents between delay speeds, I don't recall the stock 1987 switch having lines either. Just googled pictures and would say my memory is correct, it just shows a line going in the direction of travel with Delay ON printed on it...

observations:

Ordered the c1500 style switch. 88+ Installed the lever and fits as expected. It has the 5 detents as I wanted but while it looks identical, it would require a different mounting pin.

I'm not sure if the box I got, the pin that holds the wiper switch to column fell out or not, but one hole is bigger than the other, by a lot and for that, it would not be a bolt in swap. But, if the factory 88+ pin just has a bigger head then I think it would be a direct swap. Doing some research on it shortly..

I replaced my factory c-10 wiper switch with the same brand and it came with a new pin...

After getting further in the program, I decided to try the old switch... sum b..... it will work just fine, just no detent click feel.. which I feel is necessary lol (why I bought the newer style). So for this program I just used 2 delay speeds. About midway through the Delay sweep, it detects change in value and changes delay speeds. I could add a 3rd delay speed in the middle, be an easy edit, but nor sure if its ideal with the stock switch... feel wise....

All Modes accounted for!!

Still need to cross some things off the list:

Test fit the plastic mock up bracket on the truck. I visually lined it up, and I think its dang close to being visually appealing (angles), but I might want to rotate it few more degrees to make look better if necessary. For that I need to remove the wiper motor again and actually mount it and verify.

Then make a bracket out of metal

Fabricate the wiper motor to wiper linkage arm.

Function test on the truck, which I expect it to work 100%, just a matter of adjusting the wiper motor linkage arm to get Park to be correct placement of the wipers on the windshield

Important goal that sets this apart from the other options will be to use most of the factory wiring and a new engine bay harness. NOT drilling a hole in the firewall, just depin the old 5 wires, and insert a new harness In the bulkhead connector. (Havn't got that far in the planning, but easy)

clint

Old 02-17-2023, 01:49 AM   #8
87chevy.com

More progress on programming, made a 2nd separate program to use the 93 style wiper switch!! I really like the detent clicks when switching between delay speeds... just makes the product / project better as it is aimed to bring more modern upgrades to the truck.
clint

Old 02-18-2023, 09:38 PM   #9
87chevy.com

A ton of time invested, and finally have a working program. Forums are super helpful in getting this far!

92 style wiper switch with detents

clint

Old 02-26-2023, 09:42 PM   #10
87chevy.com

I made a little more progress, drop in the bucket lol... I checked the pick n pull for available possible candidates for this wiper switch mounting pin, drove about an hour to the preferred pick-n-pull and might have found probably the last tilt steering oobs there was and for good reason. The column was tore up.. and looked like a caveman tried to pull the steering wheel but couldn't. However, it had the 1 thing I was looking for the pivot pin for the wiper switch which was different than the 1987 pin which measures about .213" in diameter .... the switch I bought for OOBS non single key system (cheaper than single key system) had one bore for the pin quite a bit larger than the other.

after a victorious battle against the steering wheel, I peeled off the wiper switch. I was left beside myself when the pin was strait, no "head" on it as I expected it to have! Called the local parts store, ordered the other switch, tilt w/single key system, and decided to bring the pin from the junkyard as a souvenir...

No idea how they come up with the up $$ charge for a smaller hole in the aluminum bracket..the switch is exactly identical to the cheaper non single key system switch but with a smaller hole... go figure. Both the OOBS single key system and the c-10 have the same wiper pivot pin! This would now be a direct wiper switch replacement + this module. **The point of this switch is for the 5 delay detents it has within it, to feel the different delay speeds like a modern car. The factory 1987 style wiper switch is not designed with detents. I have a program that works with no detents, but I only choose to put 2 delay speeds on it.... that was the first video in the post

Next step for this project is going down the path of circuit boards... think I am going to design it, or rather get it designed with the right value of components, to be a shield (circuit board that attaches to the other board) for the board I am using. This is probably going to take some time to find the right person, design the board, make the board, get the components on the board and test it.

Ive put quite a bit of thought into how it will interface with factory wiring, and rather not drill a hole and run some new wiring as it just seems unnecessary!

The pulse relay board can be set up to use the factory wiper motors. Instead of using the modern smaller motor that needs to get 12v for high / low.. you give it ground for high and low. Only 1 wire needs to be changed.

The change in truck wiring, I'm thinking the best ideal way (from the professional experience in wire repair)

de-pin the factory connector, nip off the end of the factory terminal between insulation crimp and the conductor which will only loose about 1/8" of wiring at most. Strip and crimp on new terminal for this module connection. Module wires will connect to the OE connector so it plugs right in to factory retaining the warranty on the switch. Also will allow for remote mounting of this module. With this method, a new factory terminal can be installed and brought back to fact glory if desired with no boo boo splices

clint

Old 03-26-2023, 08:03 PM   #11
87chevy.com

took a while to get the hang of Eagle, the PCB software... sent the file out to JLCPCB. Sent the file to them last Saturday, got them that Friday crazy fast!

the black/white wires are 12v power supply (aka dewalt battery)
the little board below that is the voltage step down converter for the Arduino Nano... I goofed on the layout, so I needed to make a harness so I can swap 2 pins around...
below that is just a little harness with connector that goes to the wiper switch.

I have a few tweaks that need to be done. The light strips are to simulate the load of a relay, and the twisted green wire on the bottom right is the "park signal" for testing purposes. Program works exactly as designed.

Left LED strip is to show Low, then High and then Washer Pump.

I am going to draw up a schematic for myself and try it out on my truck with the factory Wiper motor since its working better than ever after taking it apart and greasing it.

Clint

Old 04-02-2023, 07:27 PM   #12
87chevy.com

Got a chance to test the project using the factory wiper motor. And of course, the park switch is exact opposite of the Covette wiper motor.
Corvette wiper motor is Grounded when in park,
C-10 is open in park, and closed while in motion...

a quick weak to the program and :

Successfull Test!

(Led strip is to simulate Washer motor relay)

Only mod to the factory wiring is depin one terminal on the Park Connector, and install a new one to ground.
Cut and crimp on new terminals for the wiper switch to interface with circuit board
Install the wiper connector that was just removed onto the relay output wires so it connects to the body harness.

Things to figure out:
relay mounting... separate board, or same board, or just free hanging with connectors.
Find a suitable plastic encloseure and redesign the board to fit the case so it can be mounted/ secured.

Old 04-20-2023, 05:41 PM   #13
87chevy.com

fooling around with it some more, put some connectors on it, laying it out, and this is what I came up with. The wiper connectors about in line with each. Maybe make a sheet metal clip that connects all 3 connectors and clips onto the factory steering column bracket like OE... not sure on that one...This arrangement would allow the module to be tucked away on one side, and the 3 relay harness (incomplete and currently in prototype mode) to be tucked away on the other side. Lastly connect power and ground

I need to get some PETG filament for my 3d printer and see how well it does inside a car in summer time heat. This PLA filament is cant even last in ambient summer temperature on a fence

will update my site more on this aswell, http://www.87chevy.com/
clint

Old 04-21-2023, 02:36 AM   #14
Just call me Sean

You haven't had any replies in a while, but some of us are still watching.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:04 PM   #15
87chevy.com

delayed posting this, strange video observations.... on my work computer it is displayed correctly, on my phone, its displayed correctly on my laptop with orignal video file its upside down, on my website its correct... if its upside down, sorry.

factory c-10 switch with all modes accounted for

stock 1987 switch delay demo video

clint

Old 05-14-2023, 10:19 AM   #16
Axle

Displays correct for me.
If I caught this right, there are only 3 delay speeds and not user variable delay?
Old 05-19-2023, 10:27 PM   #17
87chevy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Displays correct for me.
If I caught this right, there are only 3 delay speeds and not user variable delay?
glad the video is correctly rotated. no idea why it shows on my laptop upside down.

I wonder how many "speeds" OE actually had... with the stock c-10 switch its programmed with 3 speeds of delay.

since the knob just rotates and no clicks like the gmt400 switch I felt like more delays would make program flaky and maybe fail if it reads 1 or 2 values back and fourth, maybe even putting it in an inoperative state. Program is setup to see when a state is changed, it updates the counter. So if it reads 'delay 2' and then 'delay 1', it will reset... and if it keeps that cycle up because of the switch barley moving due to vibrations, delay will never reach the set count

so its set up with just 3 delay speeds..
delay 1 is right off the "off"detent
delay 2 is some "not only in the middle of travel, but a wide range, easy to get delay 2 every time and easy to feel for
delay 3 is right before "low" speed detent

also added a reset circuit to the board, so if it needs to be reset, its not pulling a fuse or anything, just push the button

the relay harness it will have 1 wire dedicated as a fail safe. (1 side of switch to ground and the other to this wire)
So, if the module fails or something with the switch input fails, it will give the low speed relay ground if the "oe" wiper motor fuse is good, till the switch is turned off

clint

Old 05-19-2023, 10:31 PM   #18
87chevy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Displays correct for me.
shorter answer, 3 delay speeds + low and high

I still haven't printed an enclosure in PETG and test it inside a cars temperature (abs would be better but my printer is not set up for that material. Once I do and if it works well, I'll order more connectors/terminals and offer some of the prototype boards that is missing the fuse and offer them as a kit for testing purposes for a few bucks more than the parts cost

Last edited by 87chevy.com; 05-19-2023 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:43 AM   #19
Axle

The OE variable delay in my c10 seems to be completely variable. It may be stepped, but it is not obvious.
The later half length one uses an MC14001BCP ic in it.(Quad 2 input nand gate) bunch of caps and diodes and I think one transistor.

The prior designed long body one uses a 74LS122, and a handfull of transistors.

The really early one was two circuit boards if I remember right and all discrete components. Actually, it might be the late build 1/2 length one that is two circuit boards.

Long ago I thought I'd make my own replacement but then I found a working one and havn't looked at it again. Just happened to have the ICs written on a note in the service manual.