The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2023, 05:36 PM   #1
kens65fb

Optima Battery ??

Will an Optima red battery fit into our standard C10 battery tray ?
kens65fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:19 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: Optima Battery ??

The right model will, sure. But... lots of negative reports about Optimas in recent years. Especially in vehicles that don't get used regularly. Worth doing some research. Personally, I use a good high CCA AC Delco in the stock size.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:04 PM   #3
best view

They suc.ed in my chevelle so maybe because it’s not driven much and there not cheap
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:06 PM   #4
LVPhotos

I had a red top that was 16 years old. Running yellow top deep cycle in daily (2) and 1 in 62. My diesel has 340 amp alternator and batteries are 6 years old. Once in awhile I use the Optima charger to top off. So I never seen any issues with Optima. Desert heat and all.
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:03 AM   #5
Killer Bee

what the op asked

800U (34/78 dual post) red top optima batteries are shipped with plastic adapters in the top cover that fit most applications including group 78

there are other optima side post models including group 78 only but they're considerably more expensive and may not be in stock everywhere

one of my 71 suburbans had a red top in it when I bought it, lasted a couple of years with minimal use

I recommend consulting with their website for exact specs, I'm mostly familiar with 800U in late model gmc and ford full size trucks

my unsolicited comments

in just one of my shops, we issued 363 red tops in the last 10 years, 9227 dept. wide, so I've seen a few go through here

general consensus here is they're not worth the price (some have more colorful opinions ), we didn't get any better service life over low bid wet cell batteries and we don't even carry red tops in stock anymore

we do keep yellow tops which for lack of better term is a hybrid of cranking / deep cycling characteristics, slightly more robust performance specs

the major redeeming quality is their universal fit which is great for our field service trucks where it's not practical to carry 15 different battery types

we also carry a few blue tops, mostly for horizontal mounted genset cranking batteries in utility bodies

for economy, my recommendation is a decent warranty wet cell, average life 5yrs / $100-$150

for a premium, a plate AGM will typically last a couple years longer for $200-$300, major advantage less prone to leakage and stronger performance throughout entire lifespan

compared to a red top pushing $300, performance difference just isn't there in my experience

for extreme requirements we buy odyssey agm batteries, hands down top performance but not cheap, also not necessary for daily on-road vehicle cranking

personally, I have 7 cranking batteries and 3 deep cycle batteries here and 11 cranking batteries on the farm - all wet cells

I did run an odyssey battery in my class 7 truck but it was hard on everything, but never had a battery failure in 10 years

the optima battery debates are highly published - good luck!
Old 02-08-2023, 11:26 AM   #6
bigmoe

Optima Batteries are AGM (absorbed glass mat) which are better than standard batteries in many ways. There are many brands of AGM batteries other than Optima that aren't as expensive. One advantage at purchase time is that AGM batteries can be shipped as a regular parcel so I bought mine on line.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:26 PM   #7
88Stanger

Just my .02 worth on Optima batteries. I went to SEMA a few years back and went to the Optima battery booth to complain about a red top I bought that within a few months of no use was not charged enough to start the truck. I then tried to charge it with standard AGM battery charger and it said several times, it is bad. I then tried a new automatic checker and charger and it too would not charge. So to say the least, I was very mad that it was not even a year old. I bought it online and well did not want to wait for the warranty stuff, so bought a different brand. Anyways, I explained this to them at Optima booth and they explained in basic terms that their batteries require a specific type of batter charger if they are below a certain range of charge. As a side note, I met a guy at the Portland Swap meet that was selling used Optima batteries. I explained to him the same info and he explained to me that he knows all to well what I went through. He buys "old" Optima batteries that will "Not" charge and he uses this specific charger to charge them and then sells them again WITH an optima battery maintainer. So after this and the visit to Optima Booth, I bought a Yellow top with a Optima Maintainer and have yet to have an issue with it to date.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:00 PM   #8
ChadW

Going to be thinking about batteries soon for my build...running a 2 battery setup with batteries relocated under raised bed...Full air-ride, stereo system etc...will have a dual battery isolater kit wired up too. This is not a vehicle that will be daily driven...thoughts on what to use? Thinking just a pair of Interstate AGM's my be fine or something similar....Was originally thinking optima until i read all the issues as well as the stupid high prices for them... Would love to hear others with similar setups opinions...
ChadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:10 AM   #9
61hawk

Just going to throw out this comment. I have a friend who has worked from store manager up to regional manager for Advance Auto. When it comes to batteries he only buys his from NAPA.
61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote