The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2023, 12:41 AM   #1
howzzzit

Core support/cab sequence

Is there a specific sequence I should follow when tightening new core support and cab bushings? Torque core support first? I am doing one side of the cab at a time, but have replaced both core support bushings. Hope to not have alignment problems. Thanks.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 05:21 AM   #2
Richard

Re: Core support/cab sequence

My process is (will be) loosely mount cab and bed, line up shim and tighten. Loosely mount core support and mount/line up fenders. Maybe snug core support a bit but wait until hood is mounted until final tightening as core support may need to rack right or left. All may require adjustment. No worries as it all can be loosened and adjusted. Will take some time and patience.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:17 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I installed the cab first, in sequences to a under the lowest suggested torque setting, using rubber mounts. Setting the cab was easy in my case, because the 4/2.5 drop levels the truck. Then I installed the core support to a low torque setting with a level. The initial torque, and final torque settings are the same or very close, LH & RH sides.

Then we installed the doors and fenders and hood.

Once everything looks great torque the cushions a pinch more to a reasonable setting.

I finished at the lowest or a pinch more the suggested torque setting, for the cab. And less than the suggested setting at the core support, which finished at 30 ft. lbs.-ish.

Kits vary, same would apply for torque requirements - keep an eye on the cushions and their washer plates as you go.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:30 PM   #4
howzzzit

Thanks, Tony. I'll check the support level and shim as necessary. My cab and fenders are factory installed. So far I have just replaced the driver side cab bushings and radiator support bushings. If I torque the support to 33 lbs and snug the cab not even to torque guidelines both doors are off. The strike hits. I will check the level on the support first. By the way, I did shim the rear cab bushing to bring up the door line to match the bed line. I put the original large shim back on the front cab bushing. Maybe need to add a shim, but the line is on with the fender. I noticed the cab support mounts from Classic industries aren't as thick as the originals.

Thanks again with any suggestions
Old 02-08-2023, 09:32 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzzzit View Post
Thanks, Tony. I'll check the support level and shim as necessary. My cab and fenders are factory installed. So far I have just replaced the driver side cab bushings and radiator support bushings. If I torque the support to 33 lbs and snug the cab not even to torque guidelines both doors are off. The strike hits. I will check the level on the support first. By the way, I did shim the rear cab bushing to bring up the door line to match the bed line. I put the original large shim back on the front cab bushing. Maybe need to add a shim, but the line is on with the fender. I noticed the cab support mounts from Classic industries aren't as thick as the originals.

Thanks again with any suggestions
IMO, you should replace the RH side and then torque the cab in sequences, starting at the rear. When the cab's set perhaps you'll need to adjust the strikers, maybe a shim more or less. Your door perimeter gap should be approx. 3/16"

I was able to reinstall the original cab shims for a nice stance. One each, they're 1/8" thick.

Notes I took using cushions from ClassicHeartbeat.

Per various sources the support’s rubber cushions are torqued 35-55 foot lbs. Those on this rebuild were torqued by eye and feel to no more than 35 lbs.

Per various sources including the assembly manual, the front cushions are torqued to 70-90 foot lbs., and the rear cushions are torqued to 35-55 foot lbs. The front cab cushions were torqued to 78 foot lbs., and the rear cushions torqued to 38 foot lbs. for this rebuild.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 02-09-2023, 12:59 PM   #6
howzzzit

My core support is dead level with core support and driver side mounts loose. Guess I should tighten them down enough so everything is just secured and then change the passenger side? Then fine tune. Sound like a plan?
Old 02-09-2023, 07:46 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzzzit View Post
My core support is dead level with core support and driver side mounts loose. Guess I should tighten them down enough so everything is just secured and then change the passenger side? Then fine tune. Sound like a plan?
IMO tighten nuts in sequences for the entire assembly as a unit, from the rear forward. Leave enough nut so things don't slip while you position the RH cushions.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:32 PM   #8
jumpsoffrock

I really wish someone from the factory could tell me how they did it 100 times per day. The original lines on my undisturbed rust '72 are really good.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote