The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > Trucks For Sale

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2023, 12:28 PM   #1
68PanelTruck

68 C-10 Panel Truck 396 Big Block

----SOLD---

It's time to sell my truck and move on to my next project. I bought it a little over 3 years ago and I am the third owner. I have a clean title in my name. I have spent many hundreds of hours completely taking apart the truck down to the bare frame and rebuilding it with new sheet metal and treating any rust with Eastwood Rust converter, Rust Encapsulator, and then paint. The underside was then sprayed with rustproofing. I will try to keep this short and only mention the highlights but I have done a LOT more then what is listed here.

1968 C-10 Panel Truck 396 Big Block
Vermillion with White roof
77,725 miles (not sure if original miles but the speedo works).
Original 396 4 bbl.
New Process 435 4 speed (first is low, granny gear).
New heavy duty clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and resurfaced the flywheel.
Power steering (added by me).
Power brakes (CPP disks in front, stock drums in rear). All new brake lines and hoses.
CPP 2-1/2 drop spindles + 2" drop springs = 4-1/2" static drop in front.
CPP heavy duty 4" drop springs + 2" drop blocks = 6" static drop in rear.
Air Lift adjustable helper air bags added to rear for carrying heavy loads.
CPP C notch and adjustable panhard bar, shock relocation brackets plus 4 new Monroe shocks.
Stock Dana 60 (kinda rare) Power Trac rear end with 3.54 ratio.
New gas tank, gas lines, sending unit.
Pypes 2-1/2" stainless steel dual exhaust.
Edlebrock Performer intake and M/T aluminum finned valve covers.
New hi torque starter with heat shield.
The front suspension was completely rebuilt with Moog parts (4 tie rod ends, all upper and lower control arm bushings, idler arm, Pittman shaft arm, sway bar bushings).
When I first got the truck it was leaking oil from everywhere. I have since replaced the rear main seal, front crankshaft seal, timing cover (changed to a double roller chain while in there) swapped out the old oil pan for a 7 qt. pan and high volume Melling oil pump with heavy duty pump shaft along with a new one piece pan gasket, new intake, exhaust and valve cover gaskets. No more leaks and no smoke, lol.

The engine starts great and idles nice no issues. It has a HEI, stock Quadrajet carburetor that was converted to electric choke. I have also add a switch high idol solenoid to bump up the idle until it warms up. The 4 speed is starting to show it's age and the shift from 2 to 3 is sometimes tough until it warms up. Not sure if it's worn syncros, a sloppy shifter or ?? I'm guessing the plastic pieces on the shift forks may be worn or gone.

The truck was originally a refrigeration contractor's work truck and shows a lot of original patina. It still has the original signage on the body side panels. There are a lot of dings and worn areas like the doors where a work boot would constantly rub or from someone leaning against it. I have cut out, removed and replaced any rust on the body. The result is a mixture of 50+ year old faded out paint and primed areas where work was done. I'll leave it to the next owner to decide what is next for this truck. FYI, it has never been outside in the rain and has never gotten wet other than from wet sanding so I recommend sealing the primed areas to prevent any rust.

It has:
2 new aftermarket fenders.
1 full door skin (driver side) and 1 lower partial on the passenger side. Both inner door bottoms are new.
New one piece floor pan and step-up.
2 new rockers.
All new rubber body mounts and bolt kit.
Rear wood floor in new 3/4" plywood. The floor is one piece and I special ordered a 9' length instead of having a seem.
New rear wheel arches, lower quarters, and tail light metal panels.
The back doors are almost impossible to find in decent condition so they were repaired with new sheet metal.
All rubber seals were replaced (4 doors, windshield, vent windows, barn door windows, cowl to hood seal etc).
4 new side marker lenses, 2 new tail light/stop light/turn signal lenses, 2 new reverse light lenses.
New chrome gas cap.
2 new grill hoops, headlight trims, fender front eyebrows and hood trim.

The interior is mostly stock. I resprayed the dash the original silver color. I removed the gauges and replace any bulbs, painted the bezel and made sure all gauges and indicators work. This is a very nice stock gauge set with:
Tach
speedo
vacuum
battery
temp
gas
It also a working hand throttle and a hand choke (not hooked up because the carb has an electric choke).
It has the stock working AM radio with a new dash speaker.
New accessory oil pressure and temperature gauge underneath the dash.
New dash vents and heat/defrost hoses.
New black dash pad.
New glove box liner.
FYI it does not have A/C.
New black carpet and kick panels. The carpet has padding but I added additional jute padding and Dynamat heat and sound deadener to the floor. Also includes floor mats.
The power 6-way bucket seats are in good condition. They are out of a late 90's Chevy truck. There is a center folding jump seat that folds down into an armrest with a storage compartment.
I also added courtesy lights and an overhead console with 4 map lights.
All of the chrome door handles, both exterior and interior are new as well as the window cranks and door lock levers.
New chrome rear view mirror and both exterior door mirrors.

As I said, I have done much more to this truck than listed here. I probably forgot some things too. I have a few boxes of old parts, nuts and bolts and other stuff that will go with the truck. I can also include 4-5 shop manuals if we can work out a deal.

I'm asking $14,500 OBO Cash. I have a clean title in hand in my name. Not interested in any trade because I have a new project lined up. I will consider any reasonable offers. I am located in Frankfort, Illinois about 40 miles south of Chicago. Feel free to ask any questions. The best way to reach me is:
bobdornbos@gmail.com
You can email me or send me your phone # if you would rather talk.
Robert
Attached Images

Trying to bring a 68 Panel Truck back from the dead. 396 Big Block, 4 on the floor, and a whole lot of rust.

Last edited by 68PanelTruck; 08-21-2023 at 07:33 PM.
68PanelTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
68PanelTruck

Re: 68 C-10 Panel Truck 396 Big Block

More pics
Attached Images

Trying to bring a 68 Panel Truck back from the dead. 396 Big Block, 4 on the floor, and a whole lot of rust.
Old 08-20-2023, 12:32 PM   #3
68PanelTruck

more
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2023, 12:34 PM   #4
68PanelTruck

a few more
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2023, 12:37 PM   #5
68PanelTruck

More pics
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2023, 12:39 PM   #6
68PanelTruck

more
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2023, 12:43 PM   #7
68PanelTruck

a few pics
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2023, 12:45 PM   #8
68PanelTruck

Attached Images

Old 08-21-2023, 07:33 PM   #9
68PanelTruck

---sold---

Old 08-24-2023, 07:08 AM   #10
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Great truck, congrats on the sell !

I would have loved to buy it but not a fan of dropped panels
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote