The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2023, 01:15 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

My previous posts.

If you read or answered my 4.3 vs 283 or port vs direct injection posts. I would like to thank you for the opinions.

Last week I decided to put a mild LT1 I am building into my Nova when the time comes. The engine was supposed to be for my C10, but I do not wanna give up the power I have now. Rather I will just fuel inject it to clean up the issues I have been having with it. Namely weird drivibility issues due to the cam/carbs inability to play nice, and weak ignition.

I was hoping for a more fuel efficient combo for the Nova, but it always dived deeper into chassis/body modifications then I am honestly willing to go. Along with a much higher buy in cost then what I already own. So any mpg savings would be eaten up by extra cost. Plus a bolt on LT1 in the 90's Camaro or Caprice will get more then enough mpg for me to just go the easy way. Plus with 375+hp it will be a awesome driver.

Right now for the C10 I am deciding do I want the Holley terminator max with stealth tbi for the look. Or do I want the factory manifold with the LS computer for durability. Both with be fuel injection, and have LS coils. Using torq head cam/crank position sensors. So either way my engines tuning issues will be over.
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 02:35 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: My previous posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>Last week I decided to put a mild LT1 I am building into my Nova when the time comes. <<<<<<snip>>>>>>>
Over the years, GM has produced 3 versions of the LT1..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT1_engine

Which one have you chosen??
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 09:37 AM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

The 90's version.

Or as Richard Holdener calls it. The forgotten warrior.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:14 AM   #4
Warrens69GMC

Giving up power vs a 307 to a lt1?

The lt1 350 will make more power everywhere. Grab a carb intake/carb intake /distributor and electric fuel pump and swap it.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:26 PM   #5
truckster

I have a 95 Z/28 convertible. The LT1 has gobs of power. Even with my 2.92 rear gears, I can roast the tires from a standing start. The Optispark is the weak link, but if you have a vented one and keep the moisture away from it, you'll be fine.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:00 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Giving up power vs a 307 to a lt1?

The lt1 350 will make more power everywhere. Grab a carb intake/carb intake /distributor and electric fuel pump and swap it.
In my truck, yes around 100hp. Maybe more. Which was what the engine was originally supposed to be for. Along with ported heads, and a slightly milder cam then the Comp 306 the truck currently has. With 4.88 gears, 30" tires, and a Th700r4. I always have that passing power that I love.

In my Nova gaining 125hp atleast. I haven't ruled out the carb/dizzy on this engine. As it will be a 9.6 maybe 9.7-1 LT1, gasket matched aluminum heads, and factory Corvette cam. So it would work perfectly with a dialed in quadrajet.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:03 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I have a 95 Z/28 convertible. The LT1 has gobs of power. Even with my 2.92 rear gears, I can roast the tires from a standing start. The Optispark is the weak link, but if you have a vented one and keep the moisture away from it, you'll be fine.
I have the Torqhead crank cam sensor cover. So it eliminates the weak, and expensive issue.

I have a 383 LT1 long block that I will make into a better engine in a few years when I get some projects gone.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:35 PM   #8
mattfranklin

Smart choice. I went super old school with my clone of a '70 LT-1 to take a break from electronics, but I'm a huge fan of fuel injection and have even designed (nerd alert!) three PFI systems for research experiment engines based on a DOS PC and handfuls of chips and prototype boards and solder and wire and software written in QuickBASIC.

You'll do great sticking with the '90s system.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:05 PM   #9
biketopia

If you already have the torque head timing cover I'd run the 411 PCM conversion and be done with it. If you were converting to a carb intake with a distributor hole I'd say go with the terminator x stealth and a dual sync. You could run the Holley with the torque head, but with what you'll want to do I think the factory LS PCM will be better suited for you.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:09 PM   #10
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
If you already have the torque head timing cover I'd run the 411 PCM conversion and be done with it. If you were converting to a carb intake with a distributor hole I'd say go with the terminator x stealth and a dual sync. You could run the Holley with the torque head, but with what you'll want to do I think the factory LS PCM will be better suited for you.
I have the 411 pcm, and a matching wiring harness already. Since I planned to do it last fall before the angle grinder incident. Then my DD Durango gave up the ghost unexpectedly.

All I need is a fuel pump, and some hose work. Get my fuel injectors rebuilt, and a base map installed on the pcm.

I just really want the Holley tbi set up for the look. I love the look of carbs on classic engines, and want to keep it.

Although either one should do the trick. The factory set up should prove to be more reliable over the years.

Just not as good looking to me. Al though I could get a TPI from First TPI, and modify it to carry the rpm better.