The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
sixty4bigwindow

New to the forum, have some questions!

Hey guys! Been lurking around for the past few weeks, and love all the information and help you guys share! I have a 64 chevy shortbed, did the big window cab swap from a longbed, running a mild 327 with a turbo 400. Shaved doors and working on getting the solid glass from the cut windwings! Just finished doing a factory wire harness install since the old wiring was just waiting to start a fire somewhere lol...

Well that's the basic rundown of my build so far, but I am looking for some input on my brakes. I put a power booster from an early 70's chevy truck that my neighbor had a few years ago. Its still running drums all around and I replaced the MC shortly after I put the booster on. The system runs ok, but I am really wanting to add some safety by starting with a dual chamber MC. I'm just wondering if anybody has like a step by step checklist or anything as far as whats the best route to go to add a dual chamber MC to the 64? I've heard the 67 to 70 drum/drum MC's work, and then just run the extra brake line to the back? Any input would be greatly appreciated, and I will upload pics to the forum as soon as I get to my home computer. Thank you for letting me join and listening to me!
sixty4bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
raymo66

Re: New to the forum, have some questions!

Welcome fellow Oregonian go to the faq brake section and read
How to split the brakes by ChiefRocka
Ray
raymo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
Rust-O-Matic

Chiefrocka's thread is a good place to start:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=460791

I used a new master cylinder for a '68 in my '66. I've read several threads that said the length of the push rod from the pedal to the new master cylinder would need to be adjusted, but after comparing and measuring my old suicide cylinder vs. the new one, they appeared to be exactly identical and the rod fit fine.

For reference, my truck has original non power drums all the way around, and the '68 master was intended for a non power setup as well.

The rest was pretty self explanatory. I got a couple of coils of 1/4" tubing (one roll was about 3' too short), an assortment of fittings, old American made double flaring tool off of eBay (new Chinese ones are generally crap), and went to town on it.

Hope that helps.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
sixty4bigwindow

Thank you fellow Oregonian! I am reading up on that post right now. Love your 66!
Old 03-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust-O-Matic View Post
Chiefrocka's thread is a good place to start:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=460791

I used a new master cylinder for a '68 in my '66. I've read several threads that said the length of the push rod from the pedal to the new master cylinder would need to be adjusted, but after comparing and measuring my old suicide cylinder vs. the new one, they appeared to be exactly identical and the rod fit fine.

For reference, my truck has original non power drums all the way around, and the '68 master was intended for a non power setup as well.

The rest was pretty self explanatory. I got a couple of coils of 1/4" tubing (one roll was about 3' too short), an assortment of fittings, old American made double flaring tool off of eBay (new Chinese ones are generally crap), and went to town on it.

Hope that helps.
Im reading that right now, and thank you! I picked up a double flaring tool from Napa a few years ago (spent way too much, but well worth it,) so I'll just have to put it to good use! Do you have any tips or tricks not mentioned in the ChiefRockas post? Mainly looking for cohesion between using the power booster with the MC, making sure that will work. I used the original pedal shaft that came with the booster and added a small bracket from the pedal to mate it with the shaft, since the shaft wasn't long enough. As long as that will still work, I should be ok using this MC, correct? Thank you again!

Last edited by sixty4bigwindow; 03-03-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
Rust-O-Matic

Sorry man, I can't really comment on the power booster stuff. I haven't made that leap yet. Honestly, as long as my manual drums work like they are supposed to, I probably won't. What you are describing sounds reasonable to me though.

You might be wise to search some of Captainfab's posts. He seems to know all about the booster setups, brackets, and what year will work with what other year. Maybe he or one of the other guys more familiar with it will chime in.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust-O-Matic View Post
Sorry man, I can't really comment on the power booster stuff. I haven't made that leap yet. Honestly, as long as my manual drums work like they are supposed to, I probably won't. What you are describing sounds reasonable to me though.

You might be wise to search some of Captainfab's posts. He seems to know all about the booster setups, brackets, and what year will work with what other year. Maybe he or one of the other guys more familiar with it will chime in.
I'll dig a bit deeper and look into captainfab's posts to see if there's any info. My endgame is to have discs up front and MAYBE in the back (haven't decided that yet.) But just kind of piece it together until then (for the wallet and wife's sake haha.) I figure adding the dual reservoir first will help for safety and reliability, then working on building up the parts for the front disc conversion. Trying to not do one of the buy-it-all kits, but if I have to I will eventually spend the money.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:24 AM   #8
'63GENIII

Sorry I can't help much on the 2wd brakes, but welcome to the forum. Im pretty sure that my 63 broke down in Medford on the way back from buying it in Tangent. LOL.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #9
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
Sorry I can't help much on the 2wd brakes, but welcome to the forum. Im pretty sure that my 63 broke down in Medford on the way back from buying it in Tangent. LOL.
Hey no worries on the help, but thanks for the welcome!

Haha no way?? Don't blink or you'll miss it on your way through. Are you in Oregon?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #10
T and S

Just finished up this mod on my 66' yesterday. FYI I used a straight piece of 1/4 inch S.S. line for the extra line to the rear. Put a stress loop in it, 70 inches worked out perfect!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #11
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and S View Post
Just finished up this mod on my 66' yesterday. FYI I used a straight piece of 1/4 inch S.S. line for the extra line to the rear. Put a stress loop in it, 70 inches worked out perfect!
That sounds pretty simple! So just the loop from the MC and ran it through the frame to the back?

How does it brake after the mod?? Thanks for the input, and love your 66!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #12
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Welcome fellow Oregonian! I'm in Cave Junction. If your ever out this way PM me. I head out to Medford every once in awhile. Might have to stop by an see yer truck.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #13
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Welcome fellow Oregonian! I'm in Cave Junction. If your ever out this way PM me. I head out to Medford every once in awhile. Might have to stop by an see yer truck.
Whoa CJ??? That is awesome I work in grants pass!!! I don't usually bring the truck out that far yet haha. Want to get the brakes figured out before any freeway drives haha but good to know there's a local friend on here tho!