The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #1
PurdueSD

Full replacement chassis: No Limit/other --54pu

Has anyone used a full replacement chassis?

My 54 is going to head off to have some work done at a friends shop. The idea here is for him to turn it into a nice driver pickup that will run around in primer for a couple years before paint. This way i can continue pecking away at my 51.

SBC
4 barrel
t5
~7" static drop
IFS
power rack
9"
6.70-15 bias (26.5" tall) or possibly 16" equivalent

So since labor becomes a factor on this one. Ive started adding up costs.

Just in parts there's close to 8 or 9k in ifs, rear axle and suspension, fuel tank, brakes etc. By the time you add up labor for blasting, install, frame straightening, boxing etc.. Its looking like a wash for what you can purchase a whole replacement chassis that should be a much stronger/ nicer end product.

So, I've started looking at full chassis and based on some recommendations here I have been researching No Limit Engineerings offerings. Their retro 8 looks very well thought out and could be a great option for me. Add a couple extras like fuel tank and its around 13K.

Has here anyone used their chassis or even just the IFS kits? They look very nice, steering does appear very tight which is an initial concern of mine. (but they're all tight on these trucks)

Has anybody used any other manufactures full chassis? Are there nightmares with body alightment down the road? Anything else i should consider?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Full replacement chassis: No Limit/other --54pu

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=754926

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=677979

there are the two recent ones I remember. I always liked art morrison but have no personal experience with their frames.

one thing I will mention is beware of proprietary parts. its great if they make their own control arms and whatnot, not so great if they sell the only replacement parts.

also if you end up with a MII (nothing wrong with that) equipped chassis, make sure you tell them the desired ride height. MII can get huge camber from lowering or raising so its better to set it in the chassis in the right spot.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:33 PM   #3
layinrocker65

I’ve worked on a roadster shop chassis for a first gen f-body and was super impressed. There truck ones are probably just as nice
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
_Ogre

if you have to pay someone to build your truck, it'll be worth it
you'll still have to install everything: body, wiring, column
since you are paying to install the body, you can pay twice or just get it painted the first time

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:07 PM   #5
PurdueSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=754926

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=677979

there are the two recent ones I remember. I always liked art morrison but have no personal experience with their frames.

one thing I will mention is beware of proprietary parts. its great if they make their own control arms and whatnot, not so great if they sell the only replacement parts.

also if you end up with a MII (nothing wrong with that) equipped chassis, make sure you tell them the desired ride height. MII can get huge camber from lowering or raising so its better to set it in the chassis in the right spot.
Thanks for the links! Wow yikes, brand new 15k tci chassis is 1.5" too short
Old 08-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
PurdueSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by layinrocker65 View Post
I’ve worked on a roadster shop chassis for a first gen f-body and was super impressed. There truck ones are probably just as nice
Thanks ill check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
if you have to pay someone to build your truck, it'll be worth it
you'll still have to install everything: body, wiring, column
since you are paying to install the body, you can pay twice or just get it painted the first time
Yeah im very familiar with the process. I put a coilover ifs/ updated leaf rear in my 51. And life got in the way and i haven't gotten back to finishing it up.

One of my concerns with this idea is spending more for the new chassis and then having headaches. Say the frame comes set up with mounts for sbc, this can mean a lot of different things to different people. I like mechanical fans and minimal floor and firewall mods. But for others maybe those aren't priorities. Yes, all good questions for the fab companies, I'm just doing my initial research.

I think its kind of a wash either way, from a cost standpoint and cost isn't my primary driver. Worried about purchasing option that seems best on paper and it not working out quite as advertised.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:55 AM   #7
mr48chev

These guys are 173 miles due south of me and turn out a beautiful but not cheap chassis.

https://www.rydmanranch.com/ I've talked to them at the Portland Roadster show and took photos of their chassis.

Art Morrison makes a great chassis for an AD or any Chevy truck and their price for a roller while expensive competes real well with having a shop install a Heidts or comparable front suspension and a 4 link rear in a stock chassis when all is said and done. I've been around those guys at events for years and they drive what they sell. I'd say not only the company AD but half the employees rides are test beds for their products.

I'd say that if you are dead serious and have the coin set aside to pull the trigger hit the big NSRA and or Goodguys events within driving distance trailer in tow ready to buy and chat up the vendors who have the right chassis on display. If you are brave enough come Sunday morning anything those guys haven't sold becomes a real good deal if they don't have to pack it up and haul it back to the shop. If they have one and you are brave enough to wait them out until Sunday you can save a lot of money if you are prepared to haul it out at closing time.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 08-30-2021 at 01:01 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:50 PM   #8
mick53

I have nothing against custom chassis. For me I would rather take $15k and buy the tools and build it exactly the way I wanted it. You can always hire a welder on the side. Anything important I tack and a girl I know that TIGs for a living stops by and welds it for me for a few bucks. I want to say again that I would consider it someone made exactly what I wanted. Thank you for your time.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:27 PM   #9
R&B51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I have nothing against custom chassis. For me I would rather take $15k and buy the tools and build it exactly the way I wanted it. You can always hire a welder on the side. Anything important I tack and a girl I know that TIGs for a living stops by and welds it for me for a few bucks. I want to say again that I would consider it someone made exactly what I wanted. Thank you for your time.
Posted via Mobile Device
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:08 PM   #10
R&B51

I’m with mick53,
I just finished home built 2x4x1/8” custom frame for my project on 51 pick up. I e told this story before but seems relevant to this discussion. Used entire rolling C6 chassis and drivetrain-5K miles (totaled-only body damage) converted to ride tech coil overs, Dobbertin frame adapters, Gamel lengthened torque tube, had 2 Frame rails custom bent then I welded up crossmembers and X frame, cab mounts and radiator support. Eastwood platinum rust encapsulate on fresh steel with chassis black over the top. Will be running some of the final brake and transmission lines and ready to start putting the body back on top. Using all factory computers. All in with fresh (had 5K miles on C6 when body was totaled) Factory stock LS2 and great weight distribution/auto tranny in rear, expect total weight ~600 lbs less than corvette at about $18K. 400 hp/400 torque, engine starts and runs. Doesn’t seem bad to have roller ready for body and interior, steering column, radiator, extra wiring, self made custom running board supports. homemade wood bed and bits hopefully under 35K all in (I can hope can’t I?). I am definitely not a rocket scientist, just stubborn.
Was a lot of measuring and thinking, test fitting body before final welding. Sure hope it works, but that’s part of the excitement! If works, glad to relay frame specifications. Anyone with basic welding skills could do this one.
All the details just for comparison as you try to add up all you’d spend beyond the really nice Morrison style frame. Part of the attraction I have for this plan is that the entire rolling chassis (4 wheel Independent suspension, disc brakes, front and rear cradles) and driveline, (ready to start engine, front drive/serpentine assembly, factory AC compressor ready for OldAir finish AC, factory braking, steering-everything that made the corvette go) is stock C6 Corvette - unaltered engine and transmission combo (I can tell you where to get the Corvettes).
Hoping it will reduce my hassle and issues with reliability and repairs long-term? I have built five other vehicles Frankenstein style and had a lot of fun but wow can they be less than reliable and a chore to remember what parts came from where five or 10 years later.
We will see. It’s only a great idea once it’s drivable.
Have lots of great pics if can figure how to attach from my phone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2021, 11:15 PM   #11
R&B51

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
I’m with mick53,
I just finished home built 2x4x1/8” custom frame for my project on 51 pick up. I e told this story before but seems relevant to this discussion. Used entire rolling C6 chassis and drivetrain-5K miles (totaled-only body damage) converted to ride tech coil overs, Dobbertin frame adapters, Gamel lengthened torque tube, had 2 Frame rails custom bent then I welded up crossmembers and X frame, cab mounts and radiator support. Eastwood platinum rust encapsulate on fresh steel with chassis black over the top. Will be running some of the final brake and transmission lines and ready to start putting the body back on top. Using all factory computers. All in with fresh (had 5K miles on C6 when body was totaled) Factory stock LS2 and great weight distribution/auto tranny in rear, expect total weight ~600 lbs less than corvette at about $18K. 400 hp/400 torque, engine starts and runs. Doesn’t seem bad to have roller ready for body and interior, steering column, radiator, extra wiring, self made custom running board supports. homemade wood bed and bits hopefully under 35K all in (I can hope can’t I?). I am definitely not a rocket scientist, just stubborn.
Was a lot of measuring and thinking, test fitting body before final welding. Sure hope it works, but that’s part of the excitement! If works, glad to relay frame specifications. Anyone with basic welding skills could do this one.
All the details just for comparison as you try to add up all you’d spend beyond the really nice Morrison style frame. Part of the attraction I have for this plan is that the entire rolling chassis (4 wheel Independent suspension, disc brakes, front and rear cradles) and driveline, (ready to start engine, front drive/serpentine assembly, factory AC compressor ready for OldAir finish AC, factory braking, steering-everything that made the corvette go) is stock C6 Corvette - unaltered engine and transmission combo (I can tell you where to get the Corvettes).
Hoping it will reduce my hassle and issues with reliability and repairs long-term? I have built five other vehicles Frankenstein style and had a lot of fun but wow can they be less than reliable and a chore to remember what parts came from where five or 10 years later.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wait maybe this works I’ll give it a try
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2021, 11:15 PM   #12
R&B51

Quote:
Wait maybe this works I’ll give it a try
Posted via Mobile Device
OK, sorry the whole rotation thing maybe you get the idea
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2021, 11:32 PM   #13
R&B51

Plus some pictures when I was test fitting body before I painted the frame
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2021, 11:34 PM   #14
R&B51

Couple more
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2021, 11:38 PM   #15
mr48chev

Flipped the photos.

I'm going to stomp on some toes and maybe hurt some feelings here and so be it. DO NOT ASSUME THAT SOMEONE ASKING A QUESTION HAS THE SKILLS AND RESOURCES TO FOLLOW YOUR DO IT YOUR SELF SUGGESTIONS.

One thing I want everyone to remember is that we have members of every skill level, resource level and available project time to do things. Do not automatically assume and suggest that just because you would do it yourself that they should be required to do everything themselves or they aren't truck builders.
When someone asks a simple "who makes the best" that should be taken as that they do not intend to build their own, Not our business to ask why.

The man asked our opinion and suggestions on available chassis and that is all we should mention. What we know is available and our opinion of it. Not what we would do. Saying that he has to build his own because we did is a way of browbeating him simply because he may not have the resources to build one but can well afford to buy one. And maybe all those hours in the shop welding are better spent watching a child or grandchild participate in a sports or other event as long after the truck is built the child will always remember if he was at their event or not.
Attached Images

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:54 PM   #16
R&B51

Mr48chev,
You sure have a good point and thank you for flipping those pictures.
I don’t post often probably wasn’t being sensitive, worked a long day and I usually just read all the good things you and others have to say. Definitely should not go posting when I’m not clearheaded. Sure do appreciate all of you and the site, I have learned a lot from it and gained encouragement from it. I would definitely not want to discourage anyone with that reply above. I should have read his question more carefully. Just threw it out there because thought it might give some perspective in case he was interested in wandering off the down that path.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:04 AM   #17
R&B51

PurdueSD,
Sure did not mean to disrespect you or belittle you. I do not have mad skills and was not implying that you don’t. Kind of just took off on that “anything else I should consider” last comment you made.
Hope you find exactly what you’re looking for in your new build. Sure is a lot of fun to think about and work on these old trucks.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:44 AM   #18
Driver_WT

Quote:
I’m with mick53,
Posted via Mobile Device
Looks like an awesome build. You will love the Corvette drivetrain and suspension. I had two C6 Corvettes - the LS2 got 35 mpg running at a steady 75 mph, the LS3 would only get about 30 mpg (but it was 485 hp). I suspect an AD is not quite as aerodynamic as a C6 LOL, but still a very nice working engine. And not much money to get the LS2 to 450 hp.

Love the work on the frame.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #19
mr48chev

Folks this has been an ongoing thing on this and other groups. The comments that always pop up when someone asks about buying something that they should build it themselves rather than buy.
All I am asking is that folks give honest answers to the question and let the opinions be of which (in this case complete chassis) is the best and why. Not that the should fabricate their own unit from scratch. We all know or should know our limitations including skill, ability, equipment and time wise. Even some who have the skills may want something that is at a higher level than what they can build in a home shop with the available time they have to work on the truck.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #20
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
All I am asking is that folks give honest answers to the question and let the opinions be of which (in this case complete chassis) is the best and why. Not that the should fabricate their own unit from scratch. We all know or should know our limitations including skill, ability, equipment and time wise. Even some who have the skills may want something that is at a higher level than what they can build in a home shop with the available time they have to work on the truck.
For myself I like to receive all of the input. When I have a need or a problem I am looking for the options and potential solutions. Many times I may think that the only option is to buy something; sometimes someone will suggest making it and provide some advice, pics, dimensions, etc. on how to make it. And that works for me.

In this case, I would not have the ability to build an entire frame, but I would appreciate the input and admire the skill and ingenuity of those that have far more fabrication skills and experience.

I will say this is a pretty friendly board and most people are only trying to help. I have received great help from people on this board when building my truck. I am also on the Corvette forum - many days that is a whole other story. The norm is expect to be attacked if you ask a question that someone thinks you should already know the answer to and if you post a pic of a mod to your car be prepared to be told by some that they don't like it and you are an idiot for doing it. I still get some good info from the Corvette forum, help others where I can, and there are some great people there, but you have to sometimes put up with a lot of crap and negativity along the way.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #21
No Handle Sam

After a lot of research... I decided to go with Art Morrison. One of the main reasons was that Art's son Craig Morrison (who actually just passed away earlier this year. RIP) loved these trucks and actually owned a 1950 himself. That truck was what led to the design and development of their GT chassis. My thought was if it was good enough for him to use for one of his personal vehicles that he drove all the time... it was certainly good enough for me.

My blind faith was rewarded in a chassis that was as close to a true "bolt on" as I've ever seen. For what it is worth... I actually purchased mine from a company called Metal Works who is one of the biggest AME dealers in the country. You can of course buy directly from AME, but I wanted as much of a complete roller as I could get.

It should be noted that I am in no way associated, endorsed or compensated by AME or Metal Works. I'm just a satisfied customer. That being said... it's just dumb luck that Metal Works has my actual chassis pictured on their website...

https://metalworksclassics.com/portf...53-chevy-truck
No Handle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:59 PM   #22
mr48chev

That's a good choice. I've seen their chassis first hand at The Goodguys shows in Puyallup about 10 miles from their shop. I'm pretty sure that talked to Craig a time or two when he was pretty young. They weren't building an AD chassis yet but had some real nice stuff in their booth and a lort of the crew is a bunch of car freaks and not just guys putting in their time.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:47 PM   #23
MiraclePieCo

Thanks for the follow-up. So many guys post questions, then never let us know what happened. Wow, your chassis may be the nicest one I've ever seen - too nice to cover up with a body, haha! Excellent choice in wheels too. No doubt it will handle super good. How did you hear about Metalworks? I've never heard of them.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 09-04-2021 at 08:55 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:34 PM   #24
No Handle Sam

Just found them in a simple Google search when I was researching AME. Super nice guys and they do really nice work. They actually have a series of videos posted on their website showing all the steps that they go through when assembling one of these chassis. (that one is NOT my chassis) It was nice to see how meticulous they are with everything.
No Handle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote