The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
4thgencreamsicle

Battery post on solenoid spins

Newbie here so go easy. Also, I searched the forums but definitely may have missed something since there are soooooo many starter issues threads.

While doing other work on the truck (‘69 c10) I disconnected the battery lead from the starter solenoid (was barely finger tight) and realized that when reinstalling the cable that the battery post on the solenoid spins in place. I haven’t had any starting issues (yet). I have looked at diagrams on this forum but can’t get a good idea of what is going on. Is there a nut on the inside that would be loose causing this issue or is something busted inside that isn’t gonna be helped by a rebuild kit? An I missing something completely obvious?

I’m asking so I know whether or not this will be a rebuild the solenoid situation or just buy a new one. I am learning all this as I go, guessing it’s time to learn about starters.
4thgencreamsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
HotWheelsFan

Re: Battery post on solenoid spins

Stud is a "carriage bolt"

So the bolt, or battery post is held in place by the phenolic cover by fitting in a square hole.

I am guessing the cover is worn out allowing the stud to spin. As long as the cable is tight and the solenoid cap or cover is not brittle it should function.

You could try a rattle proof or star washer on the stud (installed first or closest to the cover) to help bind it tighter to the solenoid.

Bob
HotWheelsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
Thealien

It has been a long time since I’ve taken one apart. I believe if you took the endcap off which I think is held on by a couple of screws you’ll see that I think it’s a stud that goes through the wire and is held on by a nut on the other side of the endcap. Then the battery cable would go on and an additional nut should tighten against that first nut. If you have to buy one anyway it certainly won’t hurt to open it up and check?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:18 PM   #4
RichardJ

The Battery cable stud should have two nuts. The inner nut holds the stud tight in the end cover. The outer nut holds the cable end and lock washer tight against the inner nut. The stud connects to nothing on the inside until the solenoid is energized.
The other stud also has a nut holding it in place, but the motor winding (metal strap) is attached with a small screw.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If the bolt doesn't stick out far enough to get 2 nuts and a lock washer on it the square area on the bolt may not be seated in the square hole in the cover. You can try rotating the bolt from the outside while pulling on it to see if it will drop into place. If it does you can hold it out while installing the first nut. Don't go crazy tightening it up. just get it nice and snug. Then put the cable, lock washer, and second nut on it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote