The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2021, 12:56 AM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

Gotta replace this for my mom and why I despise modern cars - Honda Civic this time

so moms car has been sitting outside the last year or two because somebody is storing their third truck a '71 Dime in her garage, hmmmm who could that be, oh let's not split hairs

so her windshield weather strip or molding what ever you wanna call it perished from the sun I guess and she asked me to replace it

sure mum let me take a look at it, order the part, how hard and STUPID could this be, you know me and my love of modern wheeled appliances [pardon me] cars

so this is what the situation looks like (you may wanna buckle up for this one)
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:28 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Gotta replace this for my mom and why I despise modern cars - Honda Civic this ti

I haven't dealt with a modern windshield before, but I thought the idea was "easier". Hopefully this won't be bad. Let us know how it goes

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: Gotta replace this for my mom and why I despise modern cars - Honda Civic this ti

I hope you can fix it without pulling the glass.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
Gregski
Post Whore

so lets start with this fun video on how to do it: DIY Windshield Drip Molding 2008 Honda Civic

Note: the lady in the video is an alien from a different planet, there's no way in he11 my wife would be this chill as I fandangle these pieces on in the driveway, ha ha

do you spy those two little boxes in the pic below?
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
kwmech

Had something similar with my wifes KIA. Had the windshield replaced, then a week or 2 later the left side molding came off on the freeway. They had broken a couple of the plastic tabs that lock it down. I went ahead and order a new strip and it just snapped in with an easy thump from my fist in a couple of places
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
... Had the windshield replaced... They had broken a couple of the plastic tabs that lock it down...
that's gotta be their Standard Operating Procedure
Old 09-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
1slo64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
so moms car has been sitting outside the last year or two because somebody is storing their third truck a '71 Dime in her garage, hmmmm who could that be, oh let's not split hairs

so her windshield weather strip or molding what ever you wanna call it perished from the sun I guess and she asked me to replace it

sure mum let me take a look at it, order the part, how hard and STUPID could this be, you know me and my love of modern wheeled appliances [pardon me] cars

so this is what the situation looks like (you may wanna buckle up for this one)
I would just leave it alone, it won't leak, my civic had the same thing happen. If you do replace it the windshield has to come out, that weather strip is part of the entire trim piece that goes down that side of the roof.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo64 View Post
If you do replace it the windshield has to come out,
I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo64 View Post
that weather strip is part of the entire trim piece that goes down that side of the roof.
Correct!
Old 09-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #9
Wgesnerjr

Thinking back to our modern car headlight bulb replacement thread:

Let me guess...the whole roof has to come off...
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:49 AM   #10
burnin oil

Don't know how true it is but old neighbor had a newer toyota rav4 that has a heads up windshield. Said they had to take it the dealer to be reprogrammed after replacement. I can totally see it with the way alot of this new stuff is made. I know for years they said the same about injector replacement on a cummins motor. Even though the injectors are the same they need to adjust the trim.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:35 AM   #11
89AKurt

I'm on my third Honda, so no ricer jokes. LOL Plastic clips are a pain. The 2003 MINI Cooper had an A-pillar cap that blew off on a high speed test run. When the windshield is replaced, you have to get a whole new cap for both sides. Sounded like a jet taking off without that on. Fun car, until things started failing, gold-plated BMW parts. So be happy it's a Honda.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:28 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Plastic is the downfall of modern vehicles. It may be a plus in many ways, but it's a momentary material in the long run. Just like a Little Tikes toy, once the plastic gives out you have a large hunk of garbage to fill the landfill. Old metal pedal cars may have gotten tossed when the metal fatigued, but that was due to the mentality of the time. I know many went into the shop and got a repair. At least you could if you wanted to. The dash components in my '95 Suburban are brittle to touch, just waiting to be touched so it can break. Unless it comes from a garage kept vehicle, I don't expect a used part to be any better

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #13
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Plastic is the downfall of modern vehicles. It may be a plus in many ways, but it's a momentary material in the long run. Just like a Little Tikes toy, once the plastic gives out you have a large hunk of garbage to fill the landfill. Old metal pedal cars may have gotten tossed when the metal fatigued, but that was due to the mentality of the time. I know many went into the shop and got a repair. At least you could if you wanted to. The dash components in my '95 Suburban are brittle to touch, just waiting to be touched so it can break. Unless it comes from a garage kept vehicle, I don't expect a used part to be any better
I teared up a little with agreement reading this! I could not agree more, the things that gave way on my '74 were all silly plastic bits (I'm looking at you clutch and brake pedal pivot rod bushings, plastic door panels think finger nail on the chalk board test, the stupid HEI power/tach clip that goes up from underneath, gauge/dash cluster, ha ha)

and boy do I have a story for you regarding toys....

my mother in law calls us up years ago when our kids were still little and asks if we want my brother in laws TRANSFORMERS ? they were cleaning out the attic and found boxes of them, actually toys still in boxes in boxes type of thing

Hewk Yeah I tell her, $$$ signs running through my mind as I'm formulating those eBay listings in my mind already, forget letting my kids play with them, those turds don't know any better

so I go to pick these things up it must have been in 2005 so they were maybe 20 years old, having sat in the attic for say 10 years

and man oh man, they looked great, actually did, UNTIL I tried to [ahem] transform one, it literally shattered in my hands, I was like what the hewk? I tried another, same thing! all the plastic bits that held the metal bits together gave way, I was sooooo bumbed
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 09-18-2021 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:30 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Transformed into junk

In my work I see all these high dollar Anderson windows that are no good because the plastic has deteriorated. So they get replaced with even more expensive new units. Then there are the 100+ year old wooden glazed glass window sashes I pulled from a house that I used when I built my garage. Cleaned them up, glazed what needed glazed, primed, and painted. Good to go for years, same as the ones I used in my barn over 30 years ago. The wood siding on the garage came off an 1895 Victorian I was working on. How will the vinyl siding hold up in 125 years?

Tim

Old 09-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #15
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Transformed into junk

In my work I see all these high dollar Anderson windows that are no good because the plastic has deteriorated. So they get replaced with even more expensive new units. Then there are the 100+ year old wooden glazed glass window sashes I pulled from a house that I used when I built my garage. Cleaned them up, glazed what needed glazed, primed, and painted. Good to go for years, same as the ones I used in my barn over 30 years ago. The wood siding on the garage came off an 1895 Victorian I was working on. How will the vinyl siding hold up in 125 years?
OH I hear you, and being an IT computer nerd I can take that even further, I get a kick out of sitting in a meeting listening to some new hot shot consultant talk sh!et about an old computer program that has been operational for 20 or maybe even 30 years, one thing I learned never judge either a running and driving car or a running and operational program, it's running, it's working, it may not be optimized but it works!

So to make a long story longer, in this one case we were working on a system that the cops use in their cars, you know when they pull you over they look your license plate up on their laptops in their cars or your driver license or both, well I forget the details but the scope of the project said the lookup has to return a result in less than 2 seconds or something (think officer safety, what if the driver has a warrant type of thing) so the old system was meeting that spec that standard it was giving the officers something to look at in like 1.7 seconds or something, well I don't know exactly how slow the new system was but it was slower it could not come back with info in under 2 seconds or what ever it was, yes it was prettier than green font on a black screen, it had multiple colors and graphics and junk, everything the CHP did not ask for, ha ha

moral of the story, newer is not necessarily better

can you guys tell I am doing everything I can to procrastinate this stupid windows weather stirp repair, ha ha
Old 09-18-2021, 12:23 PM   #16
89AKurt

I'll jump in to follow special-k down that rabbit hole. I put 6 Velux skylights in my house, back in 1985. There are plastic bits in the opening mechanism, they have all shattered, so I can't open them. No direct UV rays, just the heat. One of them has the wood frame so warped, that one day it was blowing small corn snow, and it was falling into the room. So had to stuff foam tape in there. Of course the seals have blown, so glass has condensation. When customers talk about wanting skylights, I have nothing good to say. Thanks to the so-called International Energy Efficiency Code, window thermal performance standard is forcing cheap window frames to be made of vinyl, and we all know the sun's UV rays love that junk.
Was going to use a woodworking face shield that I've had maybe 25 years. The headband snapped, so that is now junk.
Back to cars, I like how the unpainted bumpers and other plastic parts develop zebra stripes, it's the modern version of patina.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #17
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Plastic is the downfall of modern vehicles. It may be a plus in many ways, but it's a momentary material in the long run.
Speaking of plastic breaking on our old loved trucks here I tackled a corner repair on my dash bezel

honestly the only reason you still see the crack is because at first I used Gorilla glue that didn't work for shizzle
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2021, 10:06 AM   #18
Rich84

I have been using the same accounting software for exactly 25 years. It's not pretty and it ain't fancy, but it works and I can generate anything i need in a matter of seconds or moments. I have also never purged any data. So I can tell you exactly how we did on that school we built in 1996 for so and so. I just hope I retire before the woman who developed and maintains the program does.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote