The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2021, 02:25 AM   #1
hdixon

rack n pinion slack

Can anyone help I have a completely new Uni Steer rack n pinion, new ball joint, new outer & inner ball joints, new spindles, everything new on the front of my 69 c10 however I have to much slack in my steering can this be corrected by and adjustment on the rack n pinion? are how can I get raid of the slack any help would be great I am afraid I will get a ticket for DUI if the cops see me driving trying to keep it straight in the road LOL.

Thanks
hdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
BigBird05

Re: rack n pinion slack

Post a picture of your set up. You might need a support to keep the long shaft from flexing.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:55 PM   #3
SkidmoreGarage

Where do you feel the "slack"? Is it that you look like a driver in an old movie? Sawing away and nothing happens, or that you are constantly having to adjust your wheel position to keep it straight?

It could just be that you need an alignment. But you should be able to isolate if it is before or after the rack by having someone turn the wheel while you look under.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
hdixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
Where do you feel the "slack"? Is it that you look like a driver in an old movie? Sawing away and nothing happens, or that you are constantly having to adjust your wheel position to keep it straight?

It could just be that you need an alignment. But you should be able to isolate if it is before or after the rack by having someone turn the wheel while you look under.
I am going to get the frontend alignment and see what happen however right now when I turn the steering wheel I have about 2" of slack
hdixon is offline   Reply With Quote