The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2021, 05:55 AM   #1
Nick_R_23

Where can I buy the under dash ground piece?

I'm looking for the under dash ground buss bar piece that mounts near the parking brake pedal behind the gauge cluster. I thought I remembered seeing them at one of the parts sites, but it was difficult to find then and impossible for me to find now. Does anyone know where I can get these new?

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: Where can I buy the under dash ground piece?

Here is a ground bus I use on boats all the time. Very nice and clean. Just attach a larger gauge main ground to the big stud and then you have all of those screws to attach whatever grounds you want. Just ensure the main ground wire is large enough to handle the return current of all the equipment you ground to this.
https://www.westmarinepro.com/buy/bl...1?recordNum=18
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #3
kwmech

I've been looking for that piece for months myself. Even went down to my local GM dealer and poured through their books. Nothing found. They told me it is probably part of a harness is the reason why it is not coming up by itself. My next step is to visit the wrecking yards
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #4
Big Blue

I think I might have one, send me your mailing address and I'll send it to you. John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

I have seen them in very picked over hulks in the local Pull-a-Part. Possible something like this is on GM cars from the same era.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
44SAA

Slightly embarrassed to ask- but what function does this serve? Is it simply a clean way to ground multiple wires? Thank you
44SAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:34 AM   #7
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44SAA View Post
Slightly embarrassed to ask- but what function does this serve? Is it simply a clean way to ground multiple wires? Thank you
That and convenience when you are searching for where the ground 'may be'. Knowing where all the grounds are located saves time if having to diagnos
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #8
Axle

You can also find them under the dash of 80's early 90s fords, if you come across a crown vic or grand marquis with the instrument cluster removed and the trim out of the way, it is to the right of the steering column up a bit, harder to get to than the trucks if everything is there, but an alternative if oppertunity presents itself when looking for a donor vehicle.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote