The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2020, 10:32 PM   #1
iceman4

Flatout C4 install

In the process of installing the Flatout front IFS kit. According to the instructions the stock front cross member can be trimmed to allow space for the rack and pinion. Have looked at several build threads and the cross member was removed and replaced. Has anyone trimmed and retained the original cross member with the Flatout install? If so a picture would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
iceman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #2
58CameoAZ

Re: Flatout C4 install

I chose to remove the stock front crossmember in my truck,(Flat out Kit Front & Rear)
just my opinion, I think it looks Cleaner, can i ask, why are you thinking of Not taking it out?

Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
iceman4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
I chose to remove the stock front crossmember in my truck,(Flat out Kit Front & Rear)
just my opinion, I think it looks Cleaner, can i ask, why are you thinking of Not taking it out?

Allen
It appears most people agree with you. I could not find a single picture/ build that showed the crossmember trimmed.
Thought It would be better to trim and keep the original, I guess I like the look of the over built curved crossmember with all of the rivets. I trimmed it, will post pics if its good ,in a few days . i
Old 12-30-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
58CameoAZ

I think that is great that you are keeping it, it's your truck and dont let others influence you.
I have seen a few with the cross member still intact, I just chose to delete it. I wish you the Best with your truck!

Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
Kevin_C

I removed mine. I would have needed to trim a lot of it and then patch it. Boy I don't miss trying to remove those rivets...
Old 12-31-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
jwhotrod

attached you will find my installation, you will find you don't have to remove the crossmember. i did have to trim the backside to clear the rack mounting. added the support tubes because the notch went deeper than i liked. have fun. this is a 55 Chevy frame, and it is upside down on the rotisserie,
Attached Images

jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:29 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Also agree with your truck/your choice. Mine was removed - but I had to go check my old pictures to remind myself.

PS: I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have much difficulty removing rivets other than protecting my face from red hot flying metal. I ground off the rivet heads top and bottom then used a punch the same diameter as the rivet shaft and a BFH to drive it out. Usually with only a couple hits.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
jwhotrod

i didn't want to remove it due to the fact you loose the core support mounting which sets up the locating for all the front sheet metal. i have done the same thing when they told me i had to remove the crossmember to put the mustang II suspension in my 35 Chevy sedan. didn't remove it there as well.
jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:02 PM   #9
ndeep

i removed mine, just to clean it up. but i think the core support bolts to brackets on top of frame rails, not to crossmember
ndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #10
iceman4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
I think that is great that you are keeping it, it's your truck and dont let others influence you.
I have seen a few with the cross member still intact, I just chose to delete it. I wish you the Best with your truck!

Allen
Thanks Allen, Will see how it goes, fingers crossed.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #11
iceman4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhotrod View Post
attached you will find my installation, you will find you don't have to remove the crossmember. i did have to trim the backside to clear the rack mounting. added the support tubes because the notch went deeper than i liked. have fun. this is a 55 Chevy frame, and it is upside down on the rotisserie,
Super strong! Serious amount of fab work there, The weakening caused by the C notches is a consideration.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #12
iceman4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Also agree with your truck/your choice. Mine was removed - but I had to go check my old pictures to remind myself.

PS: I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have much difficulty removing rivets other than protecting my face from red hot flying metal. I ground off the rivet heads top and bottom then used a punch the same diameter as the rivet shaft and a BFH to drive it out. Usually with only a couple hits.

Dan, read your build page, lots of great info there!
Removing rivets can be a PIA, but nothing is easy, for now will retain the crossmember. Can remove it if necessary with my BFH. LOL
Old 01-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #13
iceman4

Ran into a delay, and wanted to share.

I was ready to tack in cross member and mock up for centering wheel in fender when I leveled the cross member side to side and front to back. I checked the angel on the upper A arm attachment points. I saw there was over a 1 degree difference side to side. I was concerned because the package was damaged when delivered. The box had large holes in it and was rough handled. Don got back to me and emailed that the variation is not unusual and can be shimmed when they do the wheel alignment.

I just wanted to share this in case anyone else sees this as they install a cross member. I will be moving ahead with my installation now.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 01-10-2021 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Rotated photos