The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #51
88Stanger

Re: WunTon's 63' BBW/SWB Fleetside build

Sorry to hear about your odds with CPP stuff. I swear it is like a craps shoot.. one will get good stuff one not.... Just try to keep moving forward that is the import part.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #52
WunTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Sorry to hear about your odds with CPP stuff. I swear it is like a craps shoot.. one will get good stuff one not.... Just try to keep moving forward that is the import part.
Yup I should have done more research before spending my money I suppose. The part itself looks fantastic it's just not the right part for what I ordered sadly.

The plan is to bolt the non drop spindles on for now and keep moving forward with mock up. I'm not torquing anything down anyway so swapping spindles again in a few weeks is a 15 minute job so no big deal.
WunTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #53
WunTon

Well after waiting on hold for 35 minutes with CPP only to be hung up on twice while waiting in the queue I finally managed to get someone on the phone! He is requesting from his supervisor that they exchange them for me. He said I will likely have to pay shipping both ways but I think that would be mostly fair given that I placed the order on March 1 and I am just now 9 months later finding the issue. Hopefully his boss will approve it and I can move on from this debacle!

In more exciting news I was able to swap the non drop spindles that I have on with without issue and do a loose fit of all the steering components and it appears everything works so thats a win for me. I have managed to misplace the pitman arm nut on the steering box side but I know it's around somewhere so I'm not going to waste to much time digging for it yet.

Here you can see the lower ball joint issue. And this is only spinning the nut on by hand without any tools.

I rolled it outside on its own wheels for the first time in over 10 years which for me was a big accomplishment. I also found that the jeep roller wheels that I picked up for free won't fit due to the hub bore up front so I resorted to using the new wheels that I have for it. I had the wife toss the jeep wheels on Facespace this morning for free since I got them free and someone is picking those up tonight to get them outta my way.

Also if you have a keen eye you will notice that I am missing the concave washers on the upper control arm on one side that I have also misplaced so I used a couple extra shims for now until those turn up just to keep me moving forward.

Since I had it outside I figured it would be a good time to power wash it and get as much crap off before I go to town with a wire wheels to help eliminate some mess.

After that I just turned it around to put the front in under the cab so I can work on the rear and start getting the air tank and compressors mounted.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:53 PM   #54
WunTon

Just got the call that CPP is going to swap my spindles for me if I pay shipping both ways. I suppose that is fair and I can say I am happy with that resolution as long as I get the correct spindles this time around.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #55
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunTon View Post
Just got the call that CPP is going to swap my spindles for me if I pay shipping both ways. I suppose that is fair and I can say I am happy with that resolution as long as I get the correct spindles this time around.
IDK.... I can see paying shipping both ways if it was YOUR mistake. Not so much if it was THEIR mistake.

If they did send incorrect spindles (or if the machining tolerance is not up to par) they should be shipping the correct spindles back to you on their dime. They weren't 'used' for the period of time you had them so I'm not buying that "9-months later" should be an issue. These projects don't happen overnight. I'm working on my '99 truck this x-mas break. I ordered & started acquiring parts 2-3 years ago thinking I was going to get things done much sooner but things didn't work out that way.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #56
WunTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
IDK.... I can see paying shipping both ways if it was YOUR mistake. Not so much if it was THEIR mistake.

If they did send incorrect spindles (or if the machining tolerance is not up to par) they should be shipping the correct spindles back to you on their dime. They weren't 'used' for the period of time you had them so I'm not buying that "9-months later" should be an issue. These projects don't happen overnight. I'm working on my '99 truck this x-mas break. I ordered & started acquiring parts 2-3 years ago thinking I was going to get things done much sooner but things didn't work out that way.
I see your point and don't disagree at all. I was thinking about it more last night after not receiving the RMA that I still don't have that I was told I would have in 15 minutes of getting off the phone and thought it may actually just make more sense to make someone here a good deal on these spindles and then buy a new set. I'd rather lose money paying for shipping to a board member if it helps someone here! Although I get decent shipping rates through work they are still heavy and going from VA to CA won't be cheap. God knows what they are going to charge me for shipping for the new ones coming back to me and even more concerning is how long is it going to take for them to turn the RMA around and get the new ones shipped back to me.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #57
SCOTI

Quote:
I see your point and don't disagree at all. I was thinking about it more last night after not receiving the RMA that I still don't have that I was told I would have in 15 minutes of getting off the phone and thought it may actually just make more sense to make someone here a good deal on these spindles and then buy a new set. I'd rather lose money paying for shipping to a board member if it helps someone here! Although I get decent shipping rates through work they are still heavy and going from VA to CA won't be cheap. God knows what they are going to charge me for shipping for the new ones coming back to me and even more concerning is how long is it going to take for them to turn the RMA around and get the new ones shipped back to me.
This is why going through a vendor like Summit Racing helps. Stuff like this becomes their problem.

Trust me 100% on this one.... I have 3" Belltech spindles sitting in a box waiting to go on my '99 in the next 2wks. These spindles have been sitting in that box for over 2yrs. I had an issue w/the p/n on the spindle not matching the p/n ordered & was assured they are correct for my app. But until they're installed, you don't know.

If they don't fit, they're going back to Summit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #58
88Stanger

looking good so far!! Keep it up...
Old 01-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #59
WunTon

Took a little time away from the garage to spend time with the kids and wife but I'm back at it now! I got the air tank and compressor mounting figured out. Then I made a little mount for my VX4 manifold. I need to go pick up some hardware to bolt it all together yet but I think it'll work out ok.

I'll need to clearance the rear cross sill for the tank and I'll probably end up doing a 1.5-2" bed raise but I really wanted to put the tank and compressors in this location so I'll do what I gotta do to make it work! I'm not sure what rear bumper I'll end up with but I think I can make something work with the tank slightly protruding the way it is.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #60
SkinnyG

You could make a filler panel (splash panel?) to cover the gap from above.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:06 PM   #61
WunTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
You could make a filler panel (splash panel?) to cover the gap from above.
I was actually studying your pics on how you did yours!
Old 01-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #62
88Stanger

Quote:
I was actually studying your pics on how you did yours!
Ya, SkinnyG's cover panel is great! Maybe go with something like that. I too am bagging mine but I really want to display the tank, so it is going in the bed of the truck with the two pumps. But i like your idea for the mount! Great idea.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #63
SkinnyG

I appreciate the kind words.

The brainstorming sketch is here: https://www.gwellwood.com/wordpress/...ng-672x477.png

But what I really intended, was made a horizontal cover to hide the gap as seem from directly above. The space between the back of the bed, and the inner edge of the bumper.

I may put a 3-gallon air tank over the frame rails at the front of the bed, but the driveshaft is too high aired out to fit a big tank, and I'll have 4" exhaust from the turbo coming out the passenger side.

Alternatively, I may tuck two 3-gallon tanks inside the rear stepside fenders. I mean, that space isn't being used for anything as it is.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #64
WunTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Ya, SkinnyG's cover panel is great! Maybe go with something like that. I too am bagging mine but I really want to display the tank, so it is going in the bed of the truck with the two pumps. But i like your idea for the mount! Great idea.
I thought about bed mounting the tank and compressors but I will be using the truck for my business so it will be hauling a lot of wood so bed space is a must for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I appreciate the kind words.

The brainstorming sketch is here: https://www.gwellwood.com/wordpress/...ng-672x477.png

But what I really intended, was made a horizontal cover to hide the gap as seem from directly above. The space between the back of the bed, and the inner edge of the bumper.

I may put a 3-gallon air tank over the frame rails at the front of the bed, but the driveshaft is too high aired out to fit a big tank, and I'll have 4" exhaust from the turbo coming out the passenger side.

Alternatively, I may tuck two 3-gallon tanks inside the rear stepside fenders. I mean, that space isn't being used for anything as it is.
I really appreciate the drawing but the 2" space uses are really what seal the deal for me lol!!

I haven't done much the last few days other than drill a couple holes in the crossmember I built for the air tank with the new Norseman drill bits I ordered and I have to say I am an idiot for not sacking up and spending the money for good bits sooner! No more box store chinesium drill bits for me.

I did get some good quality time in the garage with my 8 year old son over the weekend though. That time basically means no real progress but I am absolutely fine with that especially when I came home from work last night and he greets me at the top of the stairs and says "Daddy! are you ready to go work on the truck?" It's all he talks about doing now.

I put him to work grinding some rivets

After that he said he wanted to weld something on the truck so I gave him a piece of scrap "on the truck" and set him free with the welder!

His birthday is in a few weeks so I am getting him his own welding helmet and gloves along with some proper work clothes so he can really get into helping me out. To me these are the moments that make everything sh*tty in life better!
Old 01-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #65
SCOTI

Quote:

....I did get some good quality time in the garage with my 8 year old son over the weekend though. That time basically means no real progress but I am absolutely fine with that especially when I came home from work last night and he greets me at the top of the stairs and says "Daddy! are you ready to go work on the truck?" It's all he talks about doing now.

His birthday is in a few weeks so I am getting him his own welding helmet and gloves along with some proper work clothes so he can really get into helping me out. To me these are the moments that make everything sh*tty in life better!
Win/win right there!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-05-2021, 11:35 PM   #66
53Sparky

Quote:
I did get some good quality time in the garage with my 8 year old son over the weekend though. That time basically means no real progress but I am absolutely fine with that especially when I came home from work last night and he greets me at the top of the stairs and says "Daddy! are you ready to go work on the truck?" It's all he talks about doing now.

I put him to work grinding some rivets

After that he said he wanted to weld something on the truck so I gave him a piece of scrap "on the truck" and set him free with the welder!

You gift your son with these experiences. He'll remember them for a lifetime. Good Job!

Numbers 6:24-26
53Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #67
WunTon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Sparky View Post
You gift your son with these experiences. He'll remember them for a lifetime. Good Job!
Yup some of my favorite memories and why I still love wrenching are from when I was a kid being in the shop with my dad and his best friend to all hours of the night! My dads best friend was a well established mechanic in town until he was in an accident with a semi that left him paralyzed and lost everything including his sons life sadly. After that he had literally nothing but he always kept a shop space for his friends and him to hang out at even to this day. I remember being about 10 years old and sitting inside engine bays of random vehicles and him being on the side not being able to see a single thing I was doing but being able to tell me exactly which bolt needed to be touched next and walking me through things without even seeing what I was actually doing. My dad was the same he was happy to guide me through it and let me do it on my own so I was learning what I was doing and that always stuck with me so I hope I can give my son those same memories that I have!

Here's and example of my dad taking the time to let my son pound nails in my fence we were building when he could have just as easily said no and continued on but he took the time to stop and teach his grandson something. I strive to be as good of dad as he is to me!
Old 01-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #68
SCOTI

That's they way it should be. Kudos to your dad & his buddy for that & you for recognizing + continuing the legacy.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #69
88Stanger

That is so awesome that you take the time to work with him!! That is priceless.... He will remember this just as you have, i have and others i am sure.
God Bless Sir....
Old 01-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #70
WunTon

Thanks for the kind words guys I'm just doing what feels right I guess!

I don't have a clue how to embed a video so hopefully the link works! It was a big weekend for me in the milestone department lol. I still have to go back and properly secure all the airline and I need to find some 90 degree PTC bulkhead fittings for the front but this was my proof of concept setup to myself running super ghetto off my daily.

http://i.imgur.com/tQmBONf.gifv
Old 01-12-2021, 05:11 PM   #71
The Rocknrod

That's cool.
I'd wait and install the bed and see if the bumper will hide all that. It may.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:19 AM   #72
J Williams

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words guys I'm just doing what feels right I guess!

I don't have a clue how to embed a video so hopefully the link works! It was a big weekend for me in the milestone department lol. I still have to go back and properly secure all the airline and I need to find some 90 degree PTC bulkhead fittings for the front but this was my proof of concept setup to myself running super ghetto off my daily.

http://i.imgur.com/tQmBONf.gifv
Link works and that is great! lots of progress. I think your biggest progress, the one that will mean the most is the relationship with your son. Keep up the work, boys... and girls need dads more than can be measured. I love the truck as well!
Old 03-03-2021, 11:01 PM   #73
WunTon

I got laid off at the beginning of January and decided to start a business so I haven't had any time to do anything with this but roll it out into the driveway and back into the garage a few times a week. It's likely going to end up in storage for a while since I need space at home for business activities which sucks but sometimes other priorities take priority lol.

I did buy a new truck last week though!
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #74
Paul Y

Bit late to the party but have you considered using SteelIt on the chassis?

I was going to do mine in 2 pack but ended up blasting it with a pot blaster (a horrible job and one I won’t do again in a hurry) and the using SteelIt aerosols.

Coverage is great and really happy with the result.

If I was going to do it again would use a gun as it is a lot cheaper - might buy a quart and do the bed rails, rear axle etc - but if you don’t have the facilities 6 cans will more than cover the chassis etc.

Chassis blasted

Pictures are after 3 coats whilst it is still a bit wet.

Looking forward to your progress, going to be a nice truck.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote