The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2021, 05:33 PM   #1
Beach-Burban

Paint Scheme Opinions

I haven't had anything new to report on for awhile, as I have been mostly collecting parts and pieces to supply to the Paint and Body guys I believe I am going with. I have also been trying to dial-in the paint scheme for the Beach-Burban, which will be for the most part original colors. I would really like to hear some opinions on what I have in mind before I hand it over to them . No one will hurt my feelings, so please be brutally honest!

I like the patina look...even when it has been fabricated if done well, but that isn't quite what I want for this vehicle. While trying to bring back the color of the original paint, I started with the hood as it was completely void of any clear coat and needed zero body work. What I ended up with was a hood color that was dull, almost flat...but not chalky-flat looking. I liked what I saw, but as the rest of the body has an awful looking (and seriously peeling) clear coat, putting time and labor into trying to make it look like the hood seemed like the wrong approach...plus, it needs body work (visible as well as hidden issues).

My idea is to have a stock two-tone paint: White roof, D-pillers and hatch; Wheatland (dark yellow) body; White lower band; with the interior metal Wheatland. The changes from stock is that I want only the Wheatland body color to be covered with Satin clear coat , and all other areas (whether White or Wheatland) covered in standard gloss clear coat. The only other deviations from stock would be in the engine bay...having the inner fenders and inner hood match the Wheatland firewall...and all covered in standard gloss clear coat.

Not a serious departure from stock, but I am curious to know what the member's thoughts are on having gloss and satin clear coats on the same vehicle. Also...whether or not the engine bay would be TOO yellow, causing me to return to using matte black as it was originally. Thanks for any input!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
WannaBe68

Re: Paint Scheme Opinions

Great idea to keep the two tone - IMO that is the best look in any combination!

On the inner fenders - I know you saw my unexpected painted inner fenders issue. If I had it to do over I would have kept them matt black, because I never intended for this to be a show quality job. And as we all know these old engine bays can become a Jackson Pollock painting of oil and antifreeze quickly! We have 4 boys and do a ton in this Burb. It has been from one coast to the other and many States in between, so I am questioning having the painted inners, but am going to keep them that way.

Having said all that - it will come down to how you really feel about it!
Good luck!
WannaBe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #3
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBe68 View Post
Great idea to keep the two tone - IMO that is the best look in any combination!

On the inner fenders - I know you saw my unexpected painted inner fenders issue. If I had it to do over I would have kept them matt black, because I never intended for this to be a show quality job. And as we all know these old engine bays can become a Jackson Pollock painting of oil and antifreeze quickly! We have 4 boys and do a ton in this Burb. It has been from one coast to the other and many States in between, so I am questioning having the painted inners, but am going to keep them that way.

Having said all that - it will come down to how you really feel about it!
Good luck!
Thanks for the input WannaBe68...Like you, I'm not looking for a "show quality" paint job, but I won't complain if mine comes out as good as yours. I have participated in a few car shows with the Burb looking as it does now (it looks good from 50 feet away and photographs real well) and people like to reminisce about taking trips with their families when these vehicles were much newer! I am looking forward to having "nice" paint and clear coat, but I kind of want to retain that "non-show-quality" appearance that I thought the satin clear coat would harken back to. Any thoughts on that?

Woody
Old 01-09-2021, 10:31 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

Like this under the hood?
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #5
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Holy Smokes HO455...that's a lot of yellow!!! Although it looks great in that application, it seems a bit "too showy" for the more simple look I'd like...scoring a point in favor of matte black. Thanks...and as they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words"!

Woody
Old 01-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #6
pwdcougar

Honestly Woody, I think with two tone, gloss/semi gloss and painted inner fenders it will look too busy. I'm a fan of the stock look (but damn that yellow looks good under the hood of HO455's truck looks amazing)!

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:43 AM   #7
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
Honestly Woody, I think with two tone, gloss/semi gloss and painted inner fenders it will look too busy. I'm a fan of the stock look (but damn that yellow looks good under the hood of HO455's truck looks amazing)!

Paul
Thanks for the input Paul...and I agree that the yellow engine bay looks totally show quality...but just doesn't feel right for the Beach-Burban! Other than that...what's your thought on the gloss white/satin yellow clear coat idea on the exterior?

Woody
Old 01-12-2021, 05:19 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

If it gets down to the wire and you still can't decide, you could have the final coat of primer tinted yellow and then have the white sprayed. That should give you a fair idea of how it looks.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
Beach-Burban

Quote:
If it gets down to the wire and you still can't decide, you could have the final coat of primer tinted yellow and then have the white sprayed. That should give you a fair idea of how it looks.
I didn't think about that...excellent suggestion HO455...Thanks!

Woody
Old 01-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #10
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
I like how the msd box being painted makes it no so, look at me, as the red box would.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #11
oski6754

If mixing satin and gloss clear coats will thrill your senses, do it.

The potential downsides I see are just two:

1) Mixing paint "textures" (as mixing clear coats would emulate) can make a vehicle look busy and potentially haphazard.

2) If you're at all concerned about resale value, customization never pays. Since paint and body is a pricey undertaking, I would personally want to protect my "investment" by keeping the classic paint configuration.

Who have you decided to use for paint and body? Always looking for recommendations . . .
oski6754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #12
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by oski6754 View Post
If mixing satin and gloss clear coats will thrill your senses, do it.

The potential downsides I see are just two:

1) Mixing paint "textures" (as mixing clear coats would emulate) can make a vehicle look busy and potentially haphazard.

2) If you're at all concerned about resale value, customization never pays. Since paint and body is a pricey undertaking, I would personally want to protect my "investment" by keeping the classic paint configuration.

Who have you decided to use for paint and body? Always looking for recommendations . . .
Thanks for your input oski6754...I totally hear you when it comes to "my burb; my choice"...but I really appreciate hearing other considerations that I might not have thought about.

As for my thought on mixing clear coat textures on the same vehicle, I'm thinking the "natural break-lines" such as the drip rail separating the white roof from the yellow body...and the lower trim separating the yellow body from the white lower band will be what makes it work...maybe. I want the duller look of the body to be somewhat of a nod to the original paint of the day without fabricating a "patina" look, but the gloss white will say "yeah, I did this on purpose"...if that makes any sense to anyone but me?

Resale will not be a consideration, as I have son-in-law that will be happy to adopt it when I decide that driving it myself is no longer an option! Hopefully when that time arrives, it will probably also be time for some "paint freshening"...unless the world goes to s**t to the point that I am forced to sell it early...and in that case, the clear coat texture won't be the deciding factor (as far as I can foresee).

I've been at odds as to who to use for paint/body...but I've randomly run into the owner of "Kool Kars LA" a few times, and through casual conversations with Doug, I've developed a bit of trust in him and his shops abilities...but I have not formally committed as of yet. They are also pretty local to where I live, which makes a big difference to me as I want to be able to "follow along" with the progress.

Thanks again for taking the time to give input!

Woody
Old 01-15-2021, 04:44 PM   #13
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
Thanks for the input Paul...and I agree that the yellow engine bay looks totally show quality...but just doesn't feel right for the Beach-Burban! Other than that...what's your thought on the gloss white/satin yellow clear coat idea on the exterior?

Woody
That could look really good Woody. How about doing satin white and yellow gloss? More of the truck would be gloss than satin.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #14
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
That could look really good Woody. How about doing satin white and yellow gloss? More of the truck would be gloss than satin.

Paul
Thanks for the follow-up, Paul...if I was leaning towards more gloss I think I'd probably end up doing it all gloss like most do.

I'm thinking more satin because I'm hoping it would look more "old school" without being "rat rod" or a fabricated patina. All the cars of my youth didn't have clear coat of any kind...and without constant waxing and buffing (and most times even with waxing and buffing) the solid color paint just naturally oxidized giving a dull look to the paint. I remember using kerosene to pull some of the oxidization out of the paint so the color looked a little better...but it still remained somewhat dull (and definitely thinned out the paint), so that's what I'm trying to capture...a little "new" and a lot of "old" (but not beat up or thinned out).

Thanks again!

Woody