The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2014, 12:08 AM   #76
75Dually

Re: 75 Dually build

Had the stomach flu all week, Yuck! So today was the first day I felt decent. So this evening I got out to the shop and started to clean up the cross member. Once I got most of the grime off of it I mounted it to my fabrication table and mocked up the suspension.

I have got a good idea what I need to do for the bag fitment. The picture below of the bag in place is just me messing around when it got late in the evening. I will be of course modifying the lower a-arm, but I have some serious plans for the upper spring pocket as well. Most of it will be cut away. I want all the angles to be right so that I allow the bag to move in as straight a line as possible. I have seen to many builds where the air bag is pulled at odd angles, and this allows increased wear and potential failure.

So tomorrow should be a fun day in the shop. I hope to have the lower a-arm and the upper spring pocket at least roughed in. Then I am going to start finding the right spot for the air ride sensor. Stay tuned!
Attached Images

75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:34 AM   #77
Matt21lutz

Bad ass work man, love the entire setup, liking how you're trying to keep the bags as straight as possible in the front! I'll be doing something similar but won't be using regular bags. Definitely subscribing though!

Also... making me want to change over to a dually hahaha
Old 03-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #78
75Dually

Got some work done tonight. Finished up the lower drivers side a-arm. Then shot some black paint on it and the upper a-arm as well. I also painted the spindle since I was on a roll. Going to let the 3 of them dry over night and then tomorrow going to start on the upper bag mounting.

A good friend of mine gave me 2 - 6" round 1/2" plates the other day that were scrap laying on his shop floor (Thanks Ryan!). So I am going to put them to good use and make them the upper bag mounting plate.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #79
75Dually

I now have one side done! The below pics show the suspension at ride height, and the other 2 show the suspension at full drop. The only thing I have to change is where the bag is touching one of the mounting bolts on the top. I am going to tap the lower plate and use a short bolt so that the bag is touching nothing at all.

I tried to get the bag as straight as possible, but I compromised a bit on the lean angle so that in the lower portions of it's movement (when the vehicle is lowered) it was fairly straight. In the end I felt that it came out OK, so I am happy with the final result.

So tomorrow I am going to start on the opposite side and now that I did all the mock up on this side the passenger side should go a lot faster. Then I will tackle drilling all the mounting bolts 1" forward and moving the steering the same distance. Should be interesting...

Stay tuned...
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #80
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt21lutz View Post
Bad ass work man, love the entire setup, liking how you're trying to keep the bags as straight as possible in the front! I'll be doing something similar but won't be using regular bags. Definitely subscribing though!

Also... making me want to change over to a dually hahaha
Matt - Thanks for checking out my build page! Yes you should change over to a dually! Accept no substitutes!!

Tell me what you think of the completed drivers assembly right above this, just finished it last night, now it is on to the passenger side. Should be a ton easier because I have the drivers side to go off of.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #81
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I might have missed it, but what bag are you using for the front?

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #82
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
I might have missed it, but what bag are you using for the front?
I am using the 3800 bag for the front and the rear. They look big on the rear, and absolutely humongous on the front!

For the rest of my air ride components I am using the eLevel Accuride controller, iLevel wifi interface, 1/2" Airbaggit valve assembly, 5 gallon stainless steel tank, and York 210 compressor assembly for the air source.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #83
Matt21lutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
Matt - Thanks for checking out my build page! Yes you should change over to a dually! Accept no substitutes!!

Tell me what you think of the completed drivers assembly right above this, just finished it last night, now it is on to the passenger side. Should be a ton easier because I have the drivers side to go off of.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Only "problem" with going dually for me is changing the bed out, rear end, four tires for the rear, rear rims and everything else haha that's why I was thinking maybe just go wide ass ties in the back haha besides I have an idea for widening the rear fenders to give it that wide body look in the back. we'll see about that later though haha

Looks good. Really good, definitely not much angle to the bag at all, just slightly but it doesn't look enough to effect the bags performance like some that I've seen.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #84
aggie91

Thanks for the info on the air ride. They say the larger diameter bag gives a better ride since it can be set at a lower pressure.

Can't wait for your feedback on the ride!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)

The LST Challenge:

Old 03-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #85
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Your bag set up and control arm mods look great. Nice work!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #86
75Dually

Been very busy in the shop today. I got the passenger lower and upper a-arms completed.

I also got the cross member just about done. All I have left to do is finish the upper bag mounting plate. Then I will clean up the cross member and give it a good coat of paint.

However before the paint flies I am going to mock it up back on the truck with the complete suspension, rim/tire, and have it moved forward 1" and test the fitment of the complete assembly. I want to make sure that everything works and see what else needs to be modified so I can button up this portion of the build.

Oh yeah my rims (so says the UPS website) are supposed to be here on Monday. Thanks again Trevor!! Can't wait to see them!
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2014, 11:33 PM   #87
75Dually

Got some more work done tonight. I marked off the 1" and 1 1/2" forward marks on the frame. Then I got the cross member up in place and put it on the 1 1/2" mark first. The pictures below are on that mark. You can see the fully lowered and the fully raised. I am really happy with the initial range of movement.

From what I can tell without having the rim and tire in place it looks fairly centered. BTW I got 5 of my 6 rims in today. Another stellar day for the guys at UPS! I mean come on guys! The tags say 6 boxes, not 5!! Maybe we should use both hands in the future to count. Oh well maybe tomorrow my loan solider will show up... Again thanks to Trevor at Tenn. Wheel.

So once I get my tires mounted tomorrow I can start on finalizing the setup.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #88
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Oh yeah, that's going to be sweet!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #89
SCOTI

Quote:
Got some more work done tonight. I marked off the 1" and 1 1/2" forward marks on the frame. Then I got the cross member up in place and put it on the 1 1/2" mark first. The pictures below are on that mark. You can see the fully lowered and the fully raised. I am really happy with the initial range of movement.

From what I can tell without having the rim and tire in place it looks fairly centered. BTW I got 5 of my 6 rims in today. Another stellar day for the guys at UPS! I mean come on guys! The tags say 6 boxes, not 5!! Maybe we should use both hands in the future to count. Oh well maybe tomorrow my loan solider will show up... Again thanks to Trevor at Tenn. Wheel.

So once I get my tires mounted tomorrow I can start on finalizing the setup.
So that's @ the 1" or 1.5" forward mark?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #90
MB84C10

Don't forget you still gotta fit tires on the wheels haha looks good!
MB84C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #91
75Dually

Yeah I remembered that I had to fit wheel and tire up in there... Tight fit, but it works!

Stopped by the tire shop on the way home today and got the front tire mounted. The below pics show the suspension at full raise, what I think right now as real world driving height (that will change I am sure...), and how close at full raise I am to the fan (dang close!). I will most likely go to a Vintage Air AC system and do like everyone else and smooth the firewall. I just don't really want to spend another $800 right now, yeah I know cry me a river!

So I did some initial measurements with the cross member at 1 1/2" forward. At full raise the tire is dead center, but as I lower the suspension naturally it moves forward. So I am going to have to find a middle ground. I will let you know where I end up.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #92
SCOTI

Quote:
Yeah I remembered that I had to fit wheel and tire up in there... Tight fit, but it works!

Stopped by the tire shop on the way home today and got the front tire mounted. The below pics show the suspension at full raise, what I think right now as real world driving height (that will change I am sure...), and how close at full raise I am to the fan (dang close!). I will most likely go to a Vintage Air AC system and do like everyone else and smooth the firewall. I just don't really want to spend another $800 right now, yeah I know cry me a river!

So I did some initial measurements with the cross member at 1 1/2" forward. At full raise the tire is dead center, but as I lower the suspension naturally it moves forward. So I am going to have to find a middle ground. I will let you know where I end up.
Cool. The wheel looks very good in the opening. Can't remember if you were 100% on a specific size. What size was your final tire?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #93
aggie91

Looks great! I think I would center the wheel at ride height. I do not think it would be off much laid out or raised up...

The LST Challenge:

Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #94
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Looks great! I think I would center the wheel at ride height. I do not think it would be off much laid out or raised up...
Karl - That is what I was thinking as well. I am going to move it back to the 1" line and see what that gives me. I will play around with it and see where I get the best results. I will let everyone know where I end up, that way it might help someone in the future doing the same modification.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #95
SCOTI

Tire size in the pic?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #96
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoti View Post
tire size in the pic?
265/35/22
Old 04-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #97
SCOTI

Quote:
265/35/22
Thanks.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #98
SCOTI

Quote:
Karl - That is what I was thinking as well. I am going to move it back to the 1" line and see what that gives me. I will play around with it and see where I get the best results. I will let everyone know where I end up, that way it might help someone in the future doing the same modification.
Food for thought.... I think I'd do the 1.25" if feasible since it allows more clearance @ the fan motor. Not as much of a concern if the firewall is shaved but that real-estate is much desired w/the OE stuff (which is already paid for).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #99
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Food for thought.... I think I'd do the 1.25" if feasible since it allows more clearance @ the fan motor. Not as much of a concern if the firewall is shaved but that real-estate is much desired w/the OE stuff (which is already paid for).
I will play around with several measurements and see what works best, but thanks for the idea!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #100
75Dually

The thought of replacing the entire AC system was just driving me nuts. Don't get me wrong I have a Vintage Air system in another ride and it is great.

However my whole issue is that the tire at full drop was going to touch the plastic housing as I have shown in previous pics. To solve this I thought why don't I just rotate the blower assembly up out of the way. So after taking it apart and seeing the room I had available I went for it. Got out the sawzall and cut the housing. As you can see in the pics below it is a tight but nice fit.

With the housing in the new location I had to cut out the hole in the firewall larger for the fresh air, and I also welded up the lower portion that was now outside of the housing. I did not take a pic of that, but might tomorrow. So now I have to glass in the new air tunnel. That should be fun! Not!

I know the tire has a ton more room now. I may have to do some small trimming here and there to get it perfect, but this I feel is a much better solution because the factory AC systems on these truck works very good and I wanted to keep as much of the stock system as possible. I might be all wrong on this and if so I will put an aftermarket system in and call it good, but I hope not...
Attached Images