The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
rwenzel1994

Question new to this!!!

hello, im new to this site and am not sure if im even posting this correctly ....

BUT ANYWAY!
i have a 1985 gmc s15 when i got it my original radio wasnt even working because the fuse was removed. but i replaced the fuse and the old radio and everything seems to be working. but i want to add some 6x9's (or something similar) to the door panels. but i wanted to know if by adding them would i need to put amp? or could i wire them in to the stereo?

like i said im very to to audio. i can usually figure things out on my own but i dont want to buy the wrong things. help would be very appreciated

thanks,
Ryan
rwenzel1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
jimmydean

Re: new to this!!!

An amp is always the best option if you can do it. But if the stock deck puts out enough power for a small set of speakers, it's a cheap and easy upgrade for a stock unit. Just don't get crazy speakers than need a lot of power.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
rwenzel1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
An amp is always the best option if you can do it. But if the stock deck puts out enough power for a small set of speakers, it's a cheap and easy upgrade for a stock unit. Just don't get crazy speakers than need a lot of power.
thanks for the speedy response.

how would i know if the stock deck could put enough power out? and when saying "stock deck" what is it reffering too? (sorry about my ingnorance about audio systems).... and is there like a basic rule of thumb to go by when trying to select the rcorrect amp for the correct speakers?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
jimmydean

Your old radio, the one that came stock in the truck. Most factory style radios don't have much in the way of power (or tuner, or sound quality, or features).

As far as what amp, what speakers, that is a HUGE can of worms. What is your budget? What is in your area? Since you are new, you might want to leave it to a shop. Or at least go listen to some amp/speaker combos to see what you like in your price range.

You can use your factory radio with an amp. You can get a basic small amp and speakers for about $150, less if you shop. But find what you like the sound of first and know your budget.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
rwenzel1994

Ok il definaly search around for some deals.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzel1994 View Post
hello, im new to this site and am not sure if im even posting this correctly ....

BUT ANYWAY!
i have a 1985 gmc s15 when i got it my original radio wasnt even working because the fuse was removed. but i replaced the fuse and the old radio and everything seems to be working. but i want to add some 6x9's (or something similar) to the door panels. but i wanted to know if by adding them would i need to put amp? or could i wire them in to the stereo?

like i said im very to to audio. i can usually figure things out on my own but i dont want to buy the wrong things. help would be very appreciated

thanks,
Ryan

As seen as you are new to this..
let me advise, you to pass on the speakers in the doors install
your '85 s-15 (if standard cab,not cab with jump seats)
your dash speakers are 4by6" and your speakers behind the seat are 4"by10"
the dash you can go with 4by6 or a 4by6 plate(woofer is seperate from the tweeter) or a 4" round with bracket
the rear spot you can go with the 4by10" or get a set of 5.25" rounds
and being new to this I'd stay with a set of 4by10"
having has my share of mid 80's g.m. cars including an s-10 I'd focus on replacing the factory speakers and getting a new head unit (the radio)
they make kits that make the radio install as close to plug and play as can be..
thats where I'd start.. forget the amp for now.. you can add that later..
after you get this far, you'll see the factory sized speakers are lacking in the lower bass.. and you'll want (i'd guess) a sub.. they made boxes for this truck.. you should be able to find one used cheap. or build one..
or a small basstube,
as said above the factory stuff was questionable when new..
and being an '85 it's radio is more than likely with out a c/d player..
if money is limited you can get an adapter to hook a c/d walkman or ipod to it, that plays through the catt deck.(if it's not just an am/fm radio)

you didn't list any type of budget, so I'll go with you need it to be cheap..
first thing if you keep the radio in it, is the speakers.. both sizes in this truck can be had cheap.. if you want 6by9"s they make boxes to house them under the seats,(I have a set(the boxes) that I'll let you have,you pay shipping(i'm in ma. so it shouldn't be much)) and that get you some lower bass.. and bypass the sh crappy 4by10's
the dash speakers come out the top. the grill has bolts that IIRC are torx and with limited tools, you'll need to use a torx bit and small visegrips holding the bit to get the bolts loose, then turn the bit buy hand (iirc it's a torx 15 size)
then the speakers have 4 bolts holding them to the dash..
take your time, no point in cracking the windsheld my getting pissed and breaking it.. first time I did one I had to walk away from it for a few to cool down,
the cab is tiny in this truck with a new head unit you shouldn't really need an amp..
if you need any help as you think what plan of action you're gonna take, post it up..
with that year truck you'll be better served to spend the money on a new head unit over just buy'n an amp to hook to it..
good luck
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
rwenzel1994

thanks for all the usefull information. it IS a standard cab, but you mentioned speakers behind the seat? there are just the speakers in the dash which is why i had came up with the idea of putting some in the doors. (seems to be pretty common) which i was thinking 6x9's so i wasnt sure if id need an amp for two of those added to my system. i didnt think the dash speakers would be much even if i upgraded them (i could be very wrong seeing as it is a small truck)
i have a new head unit i got from my brother which is a fairly new pioneer that he got a few months ago.

is there like a usual amount of speakers newer head units can power without an amp? usually if you want a sub you need and amp right? (later project)
for right now i just want to get a pretty descent sound quality. i listen to pretty much everything (rock, rap, country) and i like it lound and clear. which i was pretty certain two 4x6's from 1985 wouldnt be able to provide me with.

thanks for your help,
ryan
Old 07-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

i used a newer radio from a olds gm
was listed online car was being scrapped 20.00
bought a adapter to wire it to the truck 20.00
the radio has am fm cd and cass
bought open box front speakers from best by 25.00
rears i had
no amps yet,but it's loud enough to hear clearly
and now run a ipod charger thing threw the radio
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

links to pics and vids below
Old 07-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
rwenzel1994

Yea I have a fairly new headset. So il switch out the factory dash speakers. See how that gets me and il move on from there. Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzel1994 View Post
thanks for all the usefull information. it IS a standard cab, but you mentioned speakers behind the seat? there are just the speakers in the dash which is why i had came up with the idea of putting some in the doors. (seems to be pretty common) which i was thinking 6x9's so i wasnt sure if id need an amp for two of those added to my system. i didnt think the dash speakers would be much even if i upgraded them (i could be very wrong seeing as it is a small truck)
i have a new head unit i got from my brother which is a fairly new pioneer that he got a few months ago.

is there like a usual amount of speakers newer head units can power without an amp? usually if you want a sub you need and amp right? (later project)
for right now i just want to get a pretty descent sound quality. i listen to pretty much everything (rock, rap, country) and i like it lound and clear. which i was pretty certain two 4x6's from 1985 wouldnt be able to provide me with.

thanks for your help,
ryan
I'd push the seat forward and look in the rear corners of the cab for 4by10" speakers, or a place that they would've been, the wires might still be there..
check the factory head unit the fader might be set to the fronts..
basicly shutting off the rears..
if your truck is a bench seat the boxes I have for 6by9's fit under the seat..
a pioneer head unit will power 4 speakers
left front/right front/leftrear/right rear/ with it's internal amp..
it more than likely has rca jacks for signals to amps, one set for fronts one set for rears and maybe one set for sub(more a highend thing) and maybe a set for an aux input (ipod/etc)
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
rwenzel1994

Yea there defiantly nothing back behind the seat. Doesn't even seem like a spot to place them. I actually have the seat out because I'm trying to put a new carpet or something (kinda up in the air). Might be different version of that year truck? I prolly got the lower end version or something. But no big deal. I'll find something to do with it. I have to put the truck together for now cuz il probably have to move it around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
76stepsidechevy

they should be in the rear pillars down low, more on the sides of the seat than directly behind it.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
rwenzel1994

Sorry. But no wires. Holes. Nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

dam better call the cops
any chance it was born with no radio or maybe mono 1 speaker middle of dash?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #16
rwenzel1994

it had a factory radio in it. and there are two factory speakers in the dash one on driver and one on passenger side.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

could be somebody took em out
does it have fade/balance
any pics?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #18
rwenzel1994