The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2022, 10:57 PM   #1
KyleSeal

Sound System Opinions

Looking for some insight from the board. Im building a 67 and am working out the specifics on the audio side of things.

I currently have cab corner speakers (6.5 Infinity Kappas) and dual 3 inch Infinity References for under dash behind the radio, and will be running a Basslink SM2 powered 8 inch sub.

Planning on running a RetroSound radio, one of their nicer options.

Those who have RetroSound, how do you like it? I hear mixed reviews, Im not looking to beat down the block, just good clear sound with some liveliness.

Would also like input on if yall did any other speakers, Id rather not cut doors and the kick panel speakers aren't really my taste (I know, kind of nowhere else to put them).

Thanks!

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:23 PM   #2
davischevy

Re: Sound System Opinions

I am no sound expert, I just know what I like.

I think mine is a Custom Auto Sound radio with dual 3" in the stock location behind the radio. My doors had speakers in the doors when I bought it so I left them. I am very satisfied with the sound.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:30 AM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Just sent out my 72 C10 original AM radio for a redo so will have Bluetooth FM etc. Putting one of Retrosounds 5 x 7 Dual Cone Speakers, attached link, in original dash location and installing a 6 x 9 in each corner behind the seat, my gas tank is out, attached to a set the speaker brackets board member " bigblock73 " sells. I'm all about my truck looking as original as possible while having many upgrades and this setup should do that for me as will look like regular original AM radio in dash only it'll have all the modern amenities. https://www.retromanufacturing.com/c...k-series-truck

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:37 AM   #4
rockyrivermark

I removed my gas tank behind the seat and relocated it under bed.
I think it’s a sin to cut in door speakers and don’t the look of kick area speakers so I built a speaker box behind the seat.
I kept the factory am radio in and have a am speaker in this box.
Also in the box is a round marine stereo on the drivers side of the box I can get to it if needed.
Then added other speakers for the Bluetooth marine stereo.
Finished with a piece of sheet metal behind the bench seat since sound was being absorbed by the seat foam.
Sounds amazing and full sound throughout the cab. People cant figure out where the speakers are and amazing when I tell them only behind the seat.
The only other thing I added was a toggle switch under dash to shut new stereo off when needed since it auto connects Bluetooth.
Nice to have factory am install and working with new Bluetooth and sound
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:55 AM   #5
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I have the Hermosa Retrosound as I didn't want to cut my dash. The bluetooth option just won't work. I use Spotify with the latest iPhone and it skips through songs after playing one for like 10 seconds. I've contacted Retrosound and they don't have an answer other than restart your phone and try again. It is really frustrating since I spent the money laying out a pretty nice sound system. I wish I had put a quality single DIN in the dash now.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #6
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
Looking for some insight from the board. Im building a 67 and am working out the specifics on the audio side of things.

I currently have cab corner speakers (6.5 Infinity Kappas) and dual 3 inch Infinity References for under dash behind the radio, and will be running a Basslink SM2 powered 8 inch sub.

Planning on running a RetroSound radio, one of their nicer options.

Those who have RetroSound, how do you like it? I hear mixed reviews, Im not looking to beat down the block, just good clear sound with some liveliness.

Would also like input on if yall did any other speakers, Id rather not cut doors and the kick panel speakers aren't really my taste (I know, kind of nowhere else to put them).

Thanks!
I have a RetroSound. Here's my setup. I think it's a Hemosa or whatever... the pricey one! I have the quad(something amp) and under seat speakers.

It works fine for me. I don't use the hands free phone feature. I use the USB for music: I fed the wire through the glove box and the USB resides there. It holds quite a bit of data. You can scroll with the right hand knob, lists or however you set it up. You can use a folder structure like on a PC.

The best thing about it is it takes up minimal space behind the dash. The old AM is like parking a school bus behind the dash, that along with the old speaker makes it tough to work on AC ducting.

If you get a Retro Sound you will find it to feel flimsy when you install it. Once installed it's not that big of a deal. I really only use the left hand knob. I turn it on, adjust volume and toggle to and from radio to USB.

I've had mine for several years. It's OK. Not sure you're going to get anything very much better unless you want to cut the dash and get high end components. As a replacement for the AM radio, it fits the bill, for me anyway. I, so far, have refused to move my gas tank from behind the seat.

j
Old 12-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

I'm going all out on my sound system using the stock AM radio and adding in a Craig/ Pioneer 8 track , I may go over board and drop a set of 6x9's behind the seats , I know , I know it's a bit over the top but I rarely turn it on and spend my time listening to my 350 and M-22 rowing thru the gears is the best music I know of .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:39 PM   #8
jimijam00

I've got a Retrosound in my muscle car. It looks the part, but is underpowered. I've got it running through a small Alpine 45Wx4 amp. I stream music from my phone to the Restrosound and it sounds fine.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:04 PM   #9
Sheepdip

They only sound system I need is a camshaft and twice pipes!
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:04 PM   #10
Peanut74

I have a Retrosound Hermosa radio D-412 in my '67. I wanted to keep the original look. I have a dual Retrosound center speaker. I removed the gas tank and built a speaker box. I also put in a 10" bass speaker that is hooked up to a Pyle 2200 amp. Sounds good to me like you I was not trying to make a thumper system.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote