The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
chill68

Wanted: A Sick Audio System

I want to have great sound in my '68! I have bought and installed a new radio and dash speaker already. I just recently picked up some 6.5" coaxial speakers. I want to put them in on the sides, either on the doors or the kick panels. Any suggestions for this?

I am looking for a great sub and some overhead speakers. I have checked out headliners with speakers in them. That might be what I end up getting. I need help with the sub though. I don't really know where to put it in my cab because I have a bench seat. I was thinking under the seat.

Anyway, I'm sure some of you guys have sweet sound in your trucks. What kind of sub works best? What kind of amperage do u use to drive it? Are the headliners with speakers worth the money?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
1970 C10 MJW

Re: Wanted: A Sick Audio System

my sick audio is my exhaust note but on a serious note, the previous owner of my truck put 6.5" in my truck doors, i hate them, they sound goo i just hate the look, as far as the headliner systems they look nice but if u want a very clean and crisp sound the speakers that come with those headliners may not be very high end, so idk how u would feel bout it you might turn around and replace those speakers and put pioneer or jbl or something in their place, as far as a sub, i have seen some low profile subs for sale through i think pioneer or jbl, that are meant to go under the seat of a truck.
I have been in the pro-audio area like concert sound systems etc for about 4 years, hobby person with it before and so i prefer the sound to be perfect, so rather then listen to the 6.5" speakers i usually just shut off the radio cuz most 6.5 inch until u get to the high end suck lol. thats my opinion lol
boston acoustic makes very good speakers fyi, just be prepared to open up your wallet
Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
AirSpeed

If you want nice sound then spend your money on speakers instead of the head unit. If you want great speakers at a decent price go to Partsexpress and check out their Dayton drivers. Most if not all speaker companies do not manufacture the speakers they sell, they have them made by companies who manufacture speakers for many companies. A pair of tens under your seat, two six inch midranges on the sides and a pair of one inch tweets up front is all you need to get great sound in a truck cab. Another thing that makes a big difference is a good crossover, not those premade turds sold by pioneer, kicker, mtx, alpine, etc. but a crossover made specifically for your truck and the type of music you like. They are easy to build and are cheaper, the guys on partsexpress forum can help you design a very nice system that will cost a lot less and sound ten times better than you would get at BestBuy. I would not mount them overhead, they will be to close to your ears and ruin any imaging you would get by mounting them in the doors or kick panels and they would over power the rest of the system being so close to your ears. Low fequencies are not directional so you can place your subs anywhere they will fit, even crammed under the seat. Get a decent head unit, a sub amp and a two way amp for your mids and tweets.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
AirSpeed

I have a pair of these under the seat in my 69, they sound awesome and are very well built. You won't find anything better for the price.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-462
If you want ultra high end look into ScanSpeak, truly awesome drivers. Some of Daytons drivers are clones of ScanSpeak. I have a pair of 6" Dayton RS drivers in the doors of my 72, they are very nice sounding and very well built.

I use a lot of the RS drivers in the loudspeakers I build, these are all Dayton RS ddrivers, they sound awesome and they are tough, I play them very loud!
Here they are in my doors,

I have my tweeters surface mounted above my AC vents
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I wont advise you on a system.I will point out that the accoustics in these trucks suck.You will get much better results if you adress that so that the system you install sounds as good as it can,cause that's what you're installing it in,a can.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
ole dollor

i thought you wanted my radio in my pickup....a sick audio system....but then you said a killer radio with a great sound...that leaves mine out....mine is a real sick radio, wont even stay on a station....and a bad sound....i was going to send it to you.....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote