The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
baddaw

Exclamation More more stability !!

Hey guys,

I started my project with an 1980 stepside GMC(completely stock), took off the 350 and swapped it with an ls1, changed the gear ,radiators etc...

Now for my future upgrades, what I want is that I can go 140 miles with a more safer and stability driving

The most I got is 110 miles, at such point theirs a lot of vibration and is kind of scary and had to slow down.

So any suggesting abt how can I keep it goin smoothly and more stable at that kind of speed ?

I will be posting some pics of it soon
baddaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
jjzepplin

Re: More more stability !!

Slow down. Its a truck.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
J Knight

Why are you needing to drive that fast? Track...road course? Got any picks of this fast truck?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
kalbert

I sure hope you're doing your speed tests on a closed course designed for that kind of activity. Your 35 year old truck does not have the safety or engineering from the factory for high speed stuff.

For starters the rubber and the road need to be up to the task. you need a stable road surface engineered for that kind of abuse. Your typical highway pavement is not engineered for that and can come loose under that stress and cause you to loose control. Next you need tires rated for your weight and that speed, your typical performance tire is rated somewhere around 100mph. Truck tires much less. Driving over the limit of the tire will cause it to separate and come apart. A blowout at 100mph is a death sentence.

You also need aerodynamic enhancements to create enough downforce to keep it from becoming light or airborne. You need a low center of gravity. You need enough power and gear to overcome the down force you add. You need a full cage, harness, and seat. Helmet, fire suit, etc. Pickup truck styling, bench seat with a shoulder strap, leaf springs and mushy SLA wont do 140mph on their own, and will kill you and whoever you hit if you try.

I would guess you dont have the wherewithal to address any of those problems. My suggestion is to abandon your high speed runs and instead work on how fast you can do a 1/4 or 1/8 mile. Do it on a track.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

This guy here seems to have a handle on how to do that: Cannonball C10. When you say 140mph, I guess the track is a given. Are you talking about doing this with the stock frame? The stock ladder frame is old at this point and bolted/riveted together - it's not tight now and wasn't to begin with. Not 140mph tight anyway. I'm sure you could change the front and rear suspension to better stuff and stiffen the stock frame up, but still - would you end up with something that you could jerk into a turn at 120? I don't know but I'm guessing not. How much are you wanting to spend?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
baddaw

Ok sorry for my wronge explanation but what I'm looking for is to get abt 120 miles and feel more safer than now, it's not that I'm a crazy racer it's just that my project is drag truck

I'm done a with the engine, gear and now I'm looking to improve the suspensions and what ever your gonna suggest me to improve to get a more stable and safer ride.

I'm gonna do my research abt wt u mentioned above

Btw this is the only pic I have now ,, I'll get you more once I get the truck back ...
Attached Images

baddaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
kalbert

Ahh, drag racing. That makes a little more sense. It will take 700+ horsepower and a way to transfer that power to the pavement for a 5000lb pickup to hit 120mph in a 1/4 mile. Not that it can't be done, there are people doing it all over. Its not for the faint of heart though. 110mph in is a little more achievable, 500 or so horsepower would probably do it with the right gear and tires and shedding a few hundred pounds. Do it on a track though... Anywhere but a track is dumb. You won't have accurate numbers and its not safe for you or anyone else.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote