The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
jonesmak1972

turn signal switch oddity

Hey guys,
I am having a problem and don't really know how to solve it. I have put some custom flush mount LED's in a roll pan. I am trying to just use the blinker and not the parking light so I made a spade connector to connect to the blinker portion of the normal stock bumper lights (1972 c10).

These worked before in the bumper but now don't. I get left blinker And no right blinker. On top of this both parking lights light up even though neither is connected to the brown wire of the stock connector.

Question #1 is it possible to just use the blinker portion of that connector or am I messing things up by not providing a ground for the running light circuit as well?

Question #2 in checking the turn signal switch for continuity I happen to check other wires at the same time. With the turn signal in the right position the purple wire also has continuity with the brown. this is not the case on the left side. could this be the issue?

Thanks again for any help
jonesmak1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: turn signal switch oddity

The front signal lights need to be grounded and I think they ground through the side marker lights. I will have to find the wiring diagram to check it. Also the lEDs are polarity sensitive so they must be wired correctly. The D in led stands for diode so they will only pass current one direction.
Do they light up at all?
Sometimes the first step is to go back to the stock configuration and see if everything works and then wire the LED lights in.

The left turn signal is a light blue wire and the right turn is a dark blue. I believe the parking lights are a common purple wire to each light and I think the markers are brown. Again I will check the diagram for the 72 years to see if that is the case.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #3
jonesmak1972

I appreciate you trying to help and find the specific 72 diagram Vettevet. As of right now I have no power to the blue wire. Both turn signals worked in the bumper prior to this but the right indicator on the dash never did.

The more I'm looking in to this the more I am thinking it is the turn signal switch. It is original and I have been driving the truck for 10 years.

I already have it so I figure it can't hurt to replace an ancient part with a new one.

Will report back if it helps
Old 08-28-2021, 05:45 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

This is the stock parking and turn signal lights for the 67 to 72 years but it doesn't show the marker lights flashing. I think the 71 and 72 models blink and that is a different diagram.

Name:  67 to 72 marker lights.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  37.7 KB

I see your pics open just fine although they are very large. If you are using your phone that may be why.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 08-28-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

It looks to me like you should be able to splice the LED lights into the light and dark green wires for the signal lights and ground the neg side of the LED lights and they should blink along with the L and R TS lights.

There's more to it if you have blinking side markers, they are grounded differently. I will have to look for that diagram.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 08-31-2021, 11:53 AM   #6
jonesmak1972

So I changed the signal switch and to be honest it was not as difficult as I have read on here!

It did fix the brown wire being hot when I have the lever in the right position, so this is a good thing.

I still have no power at the dark blue wire at the pigtail at the bumper when the signal is in the right position.

Vettevet, I do have blinking side markers.

I am thinking that I may have an LED flasher issue and it is only effecting the right blinker. My reasoning for this is I have regular bulbs in the side markers. I believe the left one works because it is passing through the left side marker light first and causing enough load to trip the flasher, where as the right side is trying to pass through the LED blinker first and not having enough load.

Does this sound logical?

Last edited by jonesmak1972; 08-31-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #7
jonesmak1972

For anyone that finds this after me….it was indeed the flasher. Even though everything operated correctly and flashed on the left, a non LED flasher can cause the right to not operate at all.