The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #126
sick472

Re: OMG Honda door weatherstripping fits perfect no cutting required !!

I'm really glad this Honda option is helping so many people out.

I just installed a set of Precision seals (from GMC Pauls mid last year) on my 72 and they worked very well. I still have a very small amount of door and front quarter adjustments to do, but I don't see the seals getting tight and requiring the slamming of the doors.

I just wanted to add this so that soon-to-be seal installers don't think this is the only route. It might be trial and error, but I got it the first time with Precision seals. Note: My truck had the rockers, cab corners, and bits of the front pillar and floor cut out and replaced, if that really matters.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:22 PM   #127
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
I'm really glad this Honda option is helping so many people out.

I just installed a set of Precision seals (from GMC Pauls mid last year) on my 72 and they worked very well. I still have a very small amount of door and front quarter adjustments to do, but I don't see the seals getting tight and requiring the slamming of the doors.

I just wanted to add this so that soon-to-be seal installers don't think this is the only route. It might be trial and error, but I got it the first time with Precision seals. Note: My truck had the rockers, cab corners, and bits of the front pillar and floor cut out and replaced, if that really matters.
I also opted for the precision seals. My passenger door shuts nicely. The drivers door requires force. If it doesn't get better I may have to go back to the Honda seals as much as I don't want to.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #128
code522

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I also opted for the precision seals. My passenger door shuts nicely. The drivers door requires force. If it doesn't get better I may have to go back to the Honda seals as much as I don't want to.
Mine was opposite. Drivers door closed perfect, Passenger required slamming and I tried adjusting the striker, hinges, even beat the rocker lip in to no avail. I returned all to the original positions and installed the Honda seals and all was well . I originally had seals from LMC on both sides.

My entire floorpan was a Dynacorn welded in as well as Rockers , cab corners and aftermarket doors both sides. I wanted to get the seals from GMC Pauls but they are not shipping to Canada these days as are a lot of US based suppliers.
code522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:54 PM   #129
kell490

Quote:
Originally Posted by code522 View Post
Mine was opposite. Drivers door closed perfect, Passenger required slamming and I tried adjusting the striker, hinges, even beat the rocker lip in to no avail. I returned all to the original positions and installed the Honda seals and all was well . I originally had seals from LMC on both sides.

My entire floorpan was a Dynacorn welded in as well as Rockers , cab corners and aftermarket doors both sides. I wanted to get the seals from GMC Pauls but they are not shipping to Canada these days as are a lot of US based suppliers.
I have the exact same problem when I had the body work done shop installed a new rocker. I have spent a $$$ on brand new precisions press-on which I cut trying to make them fit. I bought glue in can't close the door I'm sure the problem has to do with the rocker that was installed there is no groove anymore just filled in flat. It's been too long to return to the body shop they won't fix it. I'm going to try the Honda seal next see if it works. Diver side is original. The press on were the worst could not even get either door to close within 1/2 in inch it would have bent the door on either side. I think the later 70 plus they might fit better mine is a 67 probably was changed little by Chevy in later years.
kell490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #130
CheySuper8

In regards to having to slam your door after installing new weather strip, if you look in
Chevrolet Motor division 1972 series 10 - 30 truck chassis service manual, Section 1B at body, Page 1-13 fig 35. It shows cutting a v notch in the weather striping at the bottom to allow air to escape, which lets the door close easier. It does help when using NOS or LMC weather strip. Good luck. Ken
CheySuper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:32 AM   #131
kell490

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheySuper8 View Post
In regards to having to slam your door after installing new weather strip, if you look in
Chevrolet Motor division 1972 series 10 - 30 truck chassis service manual, Section 1B at body, Page 1-13 fig 35. It shows cutting a v notch in the weather striping at the bottom to allow air to escape, which lets the door close easier. It does help when using NOS or LMC weather strip. Good luck. Ken
Probably what I will do on the driver side where I have a factory rocker panel it closes okay I can see the bottom is tight. I wish I had test fit the door on the passenger side before it got painted. The aftermarket rockers don't fit like factory does first time learning curve on restoring.

I think after this one I want to restore a K series pickup with 4 link long arms suspension with an LS engine.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #132
ChevyGuyNC

Just curious, as it's not been stated outright... Are the Honda seals push-on, and therefore easy to pull out of a wreck at the pull-a-part?

I have the 'new version' Precision seals from GMCPaul's and after doing the Driver's door, I'm ready to toss them... I have to slam the crap out of the door to close it. Supposedly you can cut a wedge on each side of the bulbous part where they meet under the sill plate for the air to escape.. I'll try that but not hopeful.

Makes me wonder why I tried to fix something that wasn't broke... Door closed fine with the worn factory seals...

Local yards seem to have some of the right Hondas and can't beat the price at $7 each... Probably take a ride to one this week...
Old 03-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #133
Old_Truck_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGuyNC View Post
Just curious, as it's not been stated outright... Are the Honda seals push-on, and therefore easy to pull out of a wreck at the pull-a-part?
Yep, the Honda seals are push-on style. Easy on or off.
Old_Truck_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:28 PM   #134
stilldreamin6772

I too have the precision seals and have to slam the hell out of my doors. My kid cant get the passenger side to close at all. hate to toss the brand new seals but might have to. Ill try the notching idea before getting the honda seals, thanks for the idea fellas.
stilldreamin6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:52 PM   #135
kell490

I got the honda seal in and it does work better then the precision seal the door seems to close easier but the bottom seems to be too long looks like I have to cut it make it fit. Has anyone had to cut it? Mine truck is a 67 and body shop filled in the groove not sure why I think I'm going to cut the floor pan groove back in so the door seals right still won't fix the door seal being too long.
Attached Images

Last edited by kell490; 03-07-2021 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #136
Canadian68owner

Just attempted to order one from the local Honda dealer here in Canada and he said it was backordered without an estimate of delivery :-)
GM owners must be buying them up
Canadian68owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #137
Low Elco

Hondapartsdirect.com is your friend.

I had Precisions, had to slam the crap out of both doors. Took them out and put brand new Hondas on both doors. Soooo much nicer.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #138
chewychevy67

I trimmed the lip off with a knife. Took a while and some real patience but it turned out nice. These are unreal nice to close the door with compared to others.
Attached Images

chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:18 PM   #139
jimijam00

But, "fits perfect, no cutting required" is in the thread title. Lol.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #140
leddzepp

If you have to cut it to fit you got the wrong ones. You don’t have to trim the “lip” off for them to fit properly, only for aesthetics. I left them on, didn’t bother me.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:53 AM   #141
Canadian68owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Hondapartsdirect.com is your friend.

I had Precisions, had to slam the crap out of both doors. Took them out and put brand new Hondas on both doors. Soooo much nicer.
Here was the response from Honda Parts Direct:
"Unfortunately, the parts that you ordered are on national back order from Honda and no other dealers show them in stock. There is currently no release date for the parts"
Old 05-11-2021, 08:12 AM   #142
Grumpy old man

This is a good video to watch on fitting your door seals so your doors close nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvw5RhbhPVc

C10 Show Truck Project: Test Fitting Door Seals BEFORE Painting with Altman Easy Latches Installed , Watch all the Stout Customs videos .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #143
k2rm

I also have the honda weatherstrips and am very happy with them. When I purchased them about 6 months ago, they were backordered for one side. I don't remember which. They sent the side they had in stock. It fit both sides of the truck equally well, so I canceled the backordered side and ordered another of the side that was in stock.
k2rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #144
Canadian68owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rm View Post
I also have the honda weatherstrips and am very happy with them. When I purchased them about 6 months ago, they were backordered for one side. I don't remember which. They sent the side they had in stock. It fit both sides of the truck equally well, so I canceled the backordered side and ordered another of the side that was in stock.
That's helpful K2RM
thanks
Old 05-30-2021, 11:16 PM   #145
kell490

For some reason my body shop man filled in the gap at the bottom of the door where the weather stripping is suppose to go in that channel, so I had to cut it open again. With the Honda weather-strip at first I had a loop in it I was thinking needed to cut it. I decided to remove it in both directions and inch by inch push it over the door jam lip. It fits perfect no cutting needed believe me my door jam is the worst because my rocker was replaced and installed by myself who had no clue what I was doing. I have to agree the Honda fits perfect no glue required door closes now.

Last edited by kell490; 05-30-2021 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #146
MikeinNH

So I'm in the process of taking a 04 Tahoe apart for the base of my C10 and it made me wonder about the door seals. I pulled the drivers side off and it fits quite nicely on the C10. I'll have to cut off a bit on the bottom but it comes cut anyway. Door seems to close nicely with a nice tight seal. Seems like a win to me.
Attached Images

Projects: 71 C10 going on 04 Tahoe chassis * 67 IH 1200B Pickup mostly original w/ ext rust repair * 41 Buick Super 8 4 Door all original * 52 IH L-110 Panel Van getting S10 motor * 73 Datsun 620 Pickup all original
MikeinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #147
custom10nut

I was lucky enough to score a pair of 2010 (2dr) Honda Civic Door Seals
My question is what to do with the upper corner piece (it’s just kind of an extra piece)?
Do I just put it in the lower front, or carefully trim it off?
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #148
kell490

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
I was lucky enough to score a pair of 2010 (2dr) Honda Civic Door Seals
My question is what to do with the upper corner piece (it’s just kind of an extra piece)?
Do I just put it in the lower front, or carefully trim it off?
Not sure what part your talking about the honda seal is one continues part just push it over the lip all the way around the door like in the pictures.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:28 AM   #149
1972K20

Has anyone tried these Honda door seals on other years besides the 67-72?
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:50 PM   #150
MikeB

I must be the exception here. Got a pair of the Honda seals from the junkyard, but they were grey (no big deal) and didn't fit flush on the inside of the cab.

Ended up getting these, which push-on tight and stay on. They are awesome!

Precision DWP 1112 67
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pqp-dwp-1112-67
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote