The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
iehotrod

Replacing Manual Trans for TH350 Automatic

Hi Folks, I need Help from the seansoned C10 builders.

I bought a 63 c10 long bed with a 6 inline motor and no trans. They have removed the 3spd. cross member and the clutch pedal. Also they intalled an nice chrome steering colunm for an automatic.

So I have purchased a th350 installed it and used a 72 c10 crossmember. It appears the E-brake crossmember and cables will have to be removed in order to us my 72 C10 trans crossmember or any crossmember period.

I have a short 2 piece drive shaft but yoke only goes in about 2 inches. So I took the off a 72 c10 long bed drive shaft and it is two long maybe 6" to long.
So what do you do for a driveshaft? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding replacement?

Is there a 1 piece I can use with out having it custom made? Maybe from another make or model? Has anyone encountered ? what did you do?
iehotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
ranger374

Re: Replacing Manual Trans for TH350 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iehotrod View Post
Hi Folks, I need Help from the seansoned C10 builders.

I bought a 63 c10 long bed with a 6 inline motor and no trans. They have removed the 3spd. cross member and the clutch pedal. Also they intalled an nice chrome steering colunm for an automatic.

So I have purchased a th350 installed it and used a 72 c10 crossmember. It appears the E-brake crossmember and cables will have to be removed in order to us my 72 C10 trans crossmember or any crossmember period.

I have a short 2 piece drive shaft but yoke only goes in about 2 inches. So I took the off a 72 c10 long bed drive shaft and it is two long maybe 6" to long.
So what do you do for a driveshaft? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding replacement?

Is there a 1 piece I can use with out having it custom made? Maybe from another make or model? Has anyone encountered ? what did you do?
ok -- on the crossmember, if you have access to a welder and some metal, you can cut the stock crossmember, or "notch" it lower to clear the tranny. I plan on doing that with mine. now i am instaalling a 4 speed, so i don't know where my rear tranny mount is going yet, but if need be, i will notch the brake controll low enough to fabricate another piece directly over it for the tranny to bolt to. hope that helped.

as far as the driveshaft, if i read your post correctly, you have a 1 pc from a longbed truck that is too long. I would try to find a local shop that sells big truck parts--they usually rebuild alternators and other stuff for dump trucks ect. if they do stuff like that, my bet is they have a guy there that can cut your shaft to the length you specify, and balance it (that's what i did with mine)--a whole lot cheaper than buying a new one.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
iehotrod

Thumbs up Re: Replacing Manual Trans for TH350 Automatic

Thanks a lot Ranger. That really does help. I like the idea of using the original crossmember and adding a plate for th350 to bolt up to it even after notching it. It will allow me to keep my E brake functional. Great Idea! CPP has the cross member for $70.00 but has no provisions for the E brake. Now as far as the driveshaft I have the 2 pc. and its too long. I really was trying to avoid cutting and hoping someone has used one from a different truck. I may not have a choice but to cut it. I like the idea of using a 1 pc driveshaft. I really dont like using them 2 pc shafts but I am onlu running the stock 6 inline motor.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There's really nothing wrong with running a 2 piece driveshaft in a longbed. I believe you're going to just need to get the one you have shortened. That typically doesn't cost that much. As for the e-brake, if you don't have the means of fabricating the linkage on the '72 crossmember, I would just convert to the '66-'72 e-brake cables. They don't use that linkage assembly that is on that crossmember on your '63. If you try to modify that e-brake crossmember to be used as a trans crossmember, be sure to reinforce it. Those weren't designed to be used as a transmission crossmember.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by iehotrod View Post

Measure for the length you need and then take your tape measure to your friendly local salvage yard. I have been able to find a shaft this way for about 90% of my projects. You might even be able to come up with a 1 piece. If you can't find anything at the yard, then you can think about getting the long shaft shortened.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 08-10-2010 at 08:57 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
iehotrod

Thank you all for your help. I did go out to the salvage yard and found most had damage from the fork lift from when they moved them around the yard. So I search for driveline shop and found one not far from home that was able to do it for $65.00 cut and balanced. I had him install new u-joints and center support bearing. Now I am working on my shift linkage.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
edflores

Did your driveshaft have the correct yoke on it? I think 3 speeds and powerglides are 17 spline, and 350, 400, and 700r4 are 31 spline. I Had to get a different yoke for my 64.
My cousin welded up the original linkage to work for the shifting.

Last edited by edflores; 08-12-2010 at 02:01 AM.
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #8
iehotrod

You may be right. I never used the old one. I bought one from a 71 with a th350 in it. It when in with out any problem. if it was a 17 spline would it have gone in?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
edflores

Nope. Way different.

Post pics of your truck!!!!
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
iehotrod

Here is a pic from the day I bought it.
Attached Images