The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #301
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Today was unproductive. The only thing I really got done was installing the shift linkage. The gas tank needed cleaning, and is still being cleaned. The exhaust has a wierd bent pipe. Summit wasn't really able to help so I have to call hooker monday and see if I can get the right pipe sent. See how the top pipe bends at the collector? That is enough of an angle to put the rear into the driveshaft.

I took the heads off the old engine just to use them as mock ups, and found water in one of the cylinders. That probably explains why it was running so poorly.

It just wasn't going well today so I stopped and put some effort into the yard work, the house, etc. I took one pull too many on the push mower recoil cord, so I fixed that also. That's the way it goes sometimes, my good fortune last week must have run out. My goal is still just to get it back into one rolling pile. If the weather holds I should be able to meet that.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #302
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Couple of milestones here. Over 300 posts and almost 30,000 views. Thanks for the encouragement. Got the heads returned, no problems. Talked to Hooker Exhaust today. Technology has certainly come a long ways. While on the phone with them, they emailed me pictures of their first set up install for me to compare with. Then I set the pipe in like he tells me and still have a problem where it tightens to the header collector. So i take a pic and email it back, all while on the cell phone. I should hear back by tuesday, they are going to see if they have a new pipe around to ship me.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #303
dccarpenter

I just read this whole thread...really enjoyed it and it made me late for work as I was caught up with it this morning. It alternately made me search Craigslist to buy my own Blazer and then reconsider the thought at the point in the story when you killed the starter(I did that to a Bronco project too and had to sacrifice a really nice truck as it was stuck on the street and I had no parking place for it )
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #304
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccarpenter View Post
I just read this whole thread...really enjoyed it and it made me late for work as I was caught up with it this morning. It alternately made me search Craigslist to buy my own Blazer and then reconsider the thought at the point in the story when you killed the starter(I did that to a Bronco project too and had to sacrifice a really nice truck as it was stuck on the street and I had no parking place for it )
Glad you enjoyed it. I've been lucky in that I know people that will let me keep my junk at their place.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #305
Tynee
I miss this truck.

I'm really psyched to see stuff going back together for you. It's got to be nice to walk out in the morning and see that nice black frame sitting there.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #306
vtblazer

Got caught up with your progress since I was on last...whew, it's become a whole different blazer.

Keep the faith, it'll come together soon enough.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #307
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynee View Post
I'm really psyched to see stuff going back together for you. It's got to be nice to walk out in the morning and see that nice black frame sitting there.
Way better than the rusty pile that was there a week ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Got caught up with your progress since I was on last...whew, it's become a whole different blazer.

Keep the faith, it'll come together soon enough.
Plans changed with the availability of cheap parts. I've found enough parts trucks over the past couple years to do this. Still planning to do it as cheap as possible, but more reliable. One of the main things that have changed since I started this was my confidence doing body work and I'm not ashamed to say that watching your work along with several other non-body repair guys on this board pushed me into giving it a real try. I'm willing to do things or try things that a year ago I wouldn't have. A better welder made all the difference, plus my patience has improved slightly over the years.

Here's some news that I never really expected. I only have a 2 car garage. My wife gives up her spot in it to me other than when it's winter. She told me that if I put a remote start in her denali that she would park in the driveway so I could use both sides of the garage this winter. I'm not sure I'll take her up on that, but it is very cool to have the option. I ran the garage heater on propane last year, but it's pretty expensive. I want to run a gas line out there before the ground freezes.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #308
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I finally got the inside of the gas tank washed out. I used the pressure washer. The hardest part is getting all the water out afterwards. I used a piece of sponge on a metal rod to soak up most of it. Then used the little 5 gal shop vac to get the chunks of stuff, etc.

The old sending unit screen was shot. Rather than but a new unit just to have a new screen on the end, I improvised. I went down to napa and asked a friend there what they had. Some of the newer in tank pumps, etc have a replacable screen in the tank. The size of the tube it fits varies, but he found one that was fairly close.

Because of how it mounts, the tube was not going the right way, so I put a screwdriver in the tube and straightened it out, then cut off the extra length. The tank is 12" deep in that spot and the sending unit was about 11-3/4" tall. I cut it off at 11-1/2", but had to shorten it some so it would fit into the little hole in the tank. It is probably about 11" long now.

Attaching the new screen was kind of a problem. It's nylon or something like that, so would melt if I soldered it. I tried soldering it by just over-heating the tube and then setting the screen on it and getting solder in it, but it just wouldn't work. I thought about epoxy, but then decided to keep things simple and just clamp it. I found my smallest hose clamp, cut a small slot in the metal grommet part of the screen and clamped it on. It's pretty tight, and the worst that can happen is it falls off inside the tank.

Installed the sending unit, used the wire wheel on any of the rust and grit that didn't come off with the pressure washer, and sprayed it with some black paint to help preserve it as long as possible.

I ran out of time to install it. Parent teacher conferences tonight. I tried to work on the exhaust some also. Got an email from hooker and they should be shipping a new pipe for the driver side soon. So I thought I'd install the pass side. I got as far as the first pipe on the collecter and had more problems. The next section of tube is expanded to slide over the 1st tube, but not expanded enough. It just wont go on, either side. I need to find someone with a tube expander to stretch it just a bit. So far I'm not impressed with this kit. They sent the flanges to bolt to the collector, but no bolts for that. I have one tube on. Waiting for one in the mail, have to expand the others so they fit. I think I'll use a different brand next time for my C-10.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #309
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

One of the local shops here had a tube expander, so I got the 2nd sections expanded to fit now. Still waiting to hear if the new tube was shipped from hooker. I got the gas tank installed today. Every step lately has been a fight. The new tank was a repro one and the fill yube hits the body mount. So I had to cut that part off the old tank and used a piece of hose and a couple clamps to put it on the new tank. I'll post the pics tomorrow, camera is out in the garage. I had some spare felt around for strap pads on the tank. I made a new vent line for the pass side of the tank to the left rear corner by using a piece of 5/16" brake line and some newer hose. I had to by some 1/2" hose for the vent line by the fill tube. There is one more vent line on the driver side I need to make, but otherwise the gas tank install is pretty much complete. The only things left to do on the chassis is exhaust, replace the e-brake cables (it can wait) and finish the engine.

My youngest has a volleyball tourny tomorrow, but sometime this weekend I want to go get the body and get it in the driveway. I would really like to get the bottom side cleaned up and in epoxy primer before I set it on the frame. Time is getting short for cooperative weather. We have been very lucky this past couple weeks.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #310
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Gas tank installed...

Fill tube on...

New vent line on...

Was going to go get the body from the farm today. I told my wife I needed two things to go right for it to happen. I needed the friends tractor with the front bucket and the trailer from another friend. Niether is working out right now. The tractor is hooked to the grain auger, I might be able to get it in the morning or maybe after monday. The trailer was used by the guys son, who hasn't returned it yet, and his other trailer has a load of logs on it. I still might be able to get that and use it in the morning. It's hot out today, maybe it's for the best. Maybe I'll watch deathrace 2000 with the kids instead.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #311
VA72C10
VA72C10

Good progress...sorry you have a delay with the tub, but it will happen soon!
Old 10-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #312
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Good progress...sorry you have a delay with the tub, but it will happen soon!
Thanks, Yes it will. But for something to do today, I installed the hitch. It went a little bit different than planned. Turned out easier in fact. It's a little awkward to do this around the gas tank, but then I don't think the tank would have been too easy to install with the hitch in the way. Both of them are easier with the body off. Made some lemonade from the past couple days lemons.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-09-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #313
VA72C10
VA72C10

cool...now paint that thing
Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #314
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
cool...now paint that thing
Your almost as demanding as my wife.

I got the new exhaust pipe from hooker yesterday and had enough time to fit it up, and that's about all the time I had. It was still a little bit off, but it is on and hopefully won't leak at the collector flange. I'm gone overnight tonight, but thursday or friday I might be able to get the exhaust pretty much installed. Or maybe not, my work schedule is pretty rough the next few days. I'm aiming for body install on Sunday and monday though.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #315
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I did get the exhaust almost done. I have to get some tubes expanded to fit on the mufflers I'm using, so it might not actually be all bolted up for a couple days yet.

I did get out to the farm today and got the body loaded onto the trailer. That part was easy using a tractor with a hydraulic lift on front.

The biggest problem was figuring out how to get it off the trailer and in the driveway. I started by putting my dolly under the front end, and borrowed another dolly for the back end, then I could get it rolled back to the end of the trailer.

Then I put a chain across a couple fender mounts on the firewall and lifted the front with my hoist.

Then I pulled forward a bit while my son rolled the body towards the back. I set the front end on some jack stands and then got the hoist to lift the back end and pulled the trailer out the rest of the way.

Then I just set the back end on some wood blocks.

We spent the next hour or two cleaning it up with a vacuum and then the pressure washer.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #316
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

It cleaned up pretty good, but will still need a lot of body work later on.

The floor is solid, might need to replace some metal on the driver side front though.

The firewall is clean and straight.

Driver side bed is straight, except at the tail light on the side. There is a dent there right at the corner by the brake light.

The passenger side is banged in pretty bad. There isn't really any rust though, so I'm trying to figure out if I can pull it out and save it.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #317
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A few pics of the underneath. It had a pretty good undercoating on it, so rather than try and get all that cleaned off to do epoxy primer, I just cleaned it and I'll spray some more undercoating on it.

Driver side rocker box.

Pass side.

Bed floor front

Bed floor rear
Old 10-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #318
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Time to update my build costs, it's been a while. I was at $1507 the last time I figured it. Now I didn't use the rear leaf bushings, and don't know if I will, so at least for now, I'm removing that cost of $65. The rebuilt short block is about $200 more than what I paid for the engine I pulled out of it. The hitch was laying around the garage, no cost. I had to buy some fuel lines, vent lines, sending unit screen, etc. and spent about $27 for that stuff. I paid $750 for this body tub. So it looks like I'm up to $2419.

It's going to be very hard to stay under $3000 even if I paint it myself. I still need some engine parts or I'll have to use the crappy smog heads from the other engine, yuck. Still have to get the tires, and a lot of seals and other rubber products. Staying under $3000 might have been possible if I used the blue body, but it needed way more rust repair. This one had a solid windshield frame, rockers are pretty good, included the gas filler and some other parts the blue one was missing. At least I'm putting both bodies to good use.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #319
VA72C10
VA72C10

Tub looks really good. hope you can save the one bedside. The underside looks great. We'll forgive you if you edit the budget upwards to accomplish what you want
Old 10-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #320
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Tub looks really good. hope you can save the one bedside. The underside looks great. We'll forgive you if you edit the budget upwards to accomplish what you want
There were some spots underneath where the undercoating flaked off, and it was perfect brick red original coating from the factory. That bed side will be a problem though. I probably won't get to the body work until next summer though.

Ok, yesterdays progress. Sprayed the bottom with a few cans of undercoating. Sprayed the firewall with some black rustoleum. Probably should have just left it yellow.

The PO had removed the rear seat, and put some smaller bolts through the mount holes, I think just to seal it up. Problem is, the bolt heads are down in a small hole, offset so you can't get any tool in there to hold it. And they are just tight enough that I can't get them loose. Unless someone elsa has an idea, I'm going to tack weld the bolt head to the floor, take off the nuts and grind the weld off.

The rest of the afternoon was spent getting the exhaust installed. I was able to get use of a friends tube expander so all I had to do was fit and cut until I found a flow that worked. I had a lot of problems with this kit from hooker, and wouldn't recommend it. It is done though.

I think the body will go on tonight. Wish me luck.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #321
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Maybe try welding another short bolt to the top of that one?

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #322
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:

And the progress looks good. I like the firewall...looks great!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #323
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Good idea, I think I'll try that.

Quote:

And the progress looks good. I like the firewall...looks great!!!
Thanks.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #324
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got the body on the frame.

There are a couple small problems though. First on the body bushings and fit. I'll have to add some shims or washers onto the position 5 mounts, they are about 3/16" short.

I'll have to lift the rear end up again. I forgot to hook up the wires for the fuel sending unit. Also, those bolts through the seat mount holes can't be reached, so I'll have to jack it up to get those out.

It went real easy. That hoist was one of the best investments in tools I've had in years. One person with a hoist can install and remove a blazer body. Amazing. I'm hoping to get time tomorrow to get those bolts out, the shims in, the gas tank wires on, the body mount bolts all tightened, and whatever else comes to mind.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #325
VA72C10
VA72C10

Is that black rubber the body bushing??? The ones on my 4wd blazer were much thicker and were "smushed" when cranked down...could that be the issue?