The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2023, 04:21 PM   #1
damnyankee36

Factory Steering Column to S10 Gearbox

Just thinking ahead before I go to pick up my next project... (Edit: S10 swap)

I would like to keep the factory column in my 51. Here's what I am thinking...

I would use a lower bearing conversion along with the firewall mount like my 66.

The only thing I am not sure of at the moment is if the location of the column firewall hole will be in a flat location and if the inner shaft is long enough to reach the gearbox.

Also, the donor column is out of automatic truck! I believe I was told it's a 54. The transmission is a cast iron case. I never knew autos were available that early, especially in trucks. It has a nice shift indicator too. It also has what I believe is the original strap-on turn signal switch. ( I saw another truck with the identical switch installed). Don't have a photo of that.

And one more thing...

Is the steering wheel splines and taper the typical size? (If there is a standard size).

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Last edited by damnyankee36; 03-07-2023 at 03:12 PM.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:22 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Factory Steering Column to S10 Gearbox

answering your questions in order:

Quote:
location of the column firewall hole will be in a flat location and if the inner shaft is long enough to reach the gearbox
assuming you are talking about doing an s10 swap and thats how you will have an s10 steering box, you dont need to worry about this much because there is no chance the steering shaft will be long enough and it will not point anywhere at the s10 steering box. what you will do is use the "column saver" bearing kit (dont just pop a bearing in there, it will not have any provision for thrust, which are in/out, loads) available just about anywhere summit speedway jegs, then you will either use a u joint that fits the round column shaft diameter (I think its 3/4 round) on one side and a DD shaft (usually 3/4DD) on the other. then a 3/4DD to 30 spline u joint at the steering box, and a length of 3/4DD in between. this will cure the misalignment of the bottom of the column to the input splines of the s10 box and it will feel great steering it.

Quote:
Is the steering wheel splines and taper the typical size?
yes, GM steering wheel splines have been the same since 47 all the way through the 2000s. usually if you use a 63 or newer factory steering wheel you have to drill a new 3/8" hole at the 11 oclock position for the horn spring to pass through, but its likely (not impossible on a 54 column) your old column wont have a turn signal cam to worry about and you can just center the steering wheel using the splines on the s10 box. if you do have a turn signal cam on the 54 column, gm changed the horn spring pass through from the 2 oclock position (47-62) to the 11 oclock position (63 up) so you will need a hole to keep your cancel cam working correctly.

good luck!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:07 PM   #3
dsraven

sounds like you have an automatic trans from back in the day. very heavy, some didn't have a park option. there are those who would likely pay big for that, if you wanted to sell it and upgrade.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:21 PM   #4
damnyankee36

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post

...usually if you use a 63 or newer factory steering wheel you have to drill a new 3/8" hole at the 11 oclock position for the horn spring to pass through, but its likely (not impossible on a 54 column) your old column wont have a turn signal cam to worry about... if you do have a turn signal cam on the 54 column, gm changed the horn spring pass through from the 2 oclock position (47-62) to the 11 oclock position (63 up) so you will need a hole to keep your cancel cam working correctly.

good luck!
Thanks Joe. I didn't realize any truck of that era had an internal turn signal with a cancel cam. I thought they were all strap-on.

I'll look closer at al the S10 swaps here to get a better feel on how this job is typically done.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:52 PM   #5
dsraven

ifyoure thinking of an S10 swap, private message joedoh, he makes the mount kits for the AD trucks, nice ones too. he could do an S10 swap in his sleep I think. lol.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:32 PM   #6
Rickysnickers

Yep, here's his ad in the vendor's section.....https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=832482
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:41 PM   #7
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
Thanks Joe. I didn't realize any truck of that era had an internal turn signal with a cancel cam. I thought they were all strap-on.

yep 54 and 55 were the first for optional turn signals on the column! if your donor column is a 54 hydromatic, there is a good chance it has turn signal switch too.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:52 PM   #8
damnyankee36

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
yep 54 and 55 were the first for optional turn signals on the column! if your donor column is a 54 hydromatic, there is a good chance it has turn signal switch too.
No, it has a strap-on switch. I figure it's factory as it looks identical to another truck I saw elsewhere. IIRC, It has a chrome enclosure, vertically positioned t/s lights and the 4-way flashers are activated by moving the lever to the very top of travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
ifyoure thinking of an S10 swap, private message joedoh, he makes the mount kits for the AD trucks, nice ones too. he could do an S10 swap in his sleep I think. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Yep, here's his ad in the vendor's section.....https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=832482
Very cool! I saw some other kits elsewhere but I like what I see just glancing at the above link.

I think I'll be giving you a call Joe!
Old 03-08-2023, 04:21 PM   #9
dsraven

the stuff that joedoh makes is what he uses and he has built lots of different combinations. figure out what you have for year of old truck body and the frame you have to swap under it (year, length, type of cab it had etc) and send a pm. I'm sure he can help you out with what you need along with ideas of stuff you should pilfer off the swap S10.