The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2023, 03:27 PM   #1
popeyestruck

glovebox door adjustment

59 chevy glove box fits on top and lock tight behind striker but the bottom where it curves under the dash has about a 3/8 gap. Is there a way to adjust so it fits tight? I was thinking I might need to elongate the holes on the hinge
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 08:29 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: glovebox door adjustment

has it been bent possibly? a pic would help.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 08:30 PM   #3
dsraven

if you take the honge and latch out of the equation, is it the same contour as the dash?
Old 03-22-2023, 03:57 AM   #4
popeyestruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if you take the honge and latch out of the equation, is it the same contour as the dash?
Yes it fits nice without the hinge attached. I'll take it apart today and start from scratch

Last edited by popeyestruck; 03-22-2023 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:06 AM   #5
dsraven

a pic would help
Ican't remember if the hinge folds over and the screws go in with the door open, so the hinge and screws are sorta hidden when the door closes, or if the hinge is open and the screws can be installed with the door closed, so if you look you would see the hinge when the door is closed. if it is supposed to be the hidden type and you are trying to install the other way then that would space the door off the dash. wish I could remember that little assembly but it's not available in the memory bank, haha
maybe the assembly manual would show the correct way. if you don't have a copy go to the tri5 site for a free download. type into google
55-59 chevrolet truck factory assembly manual
Old 03-22-2023, 11:23 AM   #6
popeyestruck

Quote:
a pic would help
Ican't remember if the hinge folds over and the screws go in with the door open, so the hinge and screws are sorta hidden when the door closes, or if the hinge is open and the screws can be installed with the door closed, so if you look you would see the hinge when the door is closed. if it is supposed to be the hidden type and you are trying to install the other way then that would space the door off the dash. wish I could remember that little assembly but it's not available in the memory bank, haha
maybe the assembly manual would show the correct way. if you don't have a copy go to the tri5 site for a free download. type into google
55-59 chevrolet truck factory assembly manual
Thanks I'll try that
Old 03-22-2023, 12:52 PM   #7
dsraven

section 1 sheet 62 of the FAM shows the glove box door assembled with the door open and screws go in from inside the glove box area. hope that helps. a little unclear in the diagram but you could look it up for peace of mind.
https://www.trifive.com/d1/55-59Assy.pdf
Old 03-22-2023, 12:57 PM   #8
57tailgater

Looks like the assembly manual shows the hinge being attached with the door open.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:46 PM   #9
popeyestruck

Thank you I'll look at it and see if I can figure it out. Today I'm not going to be able to get much done. Had a guy break a window in my house at 6 am and try to rob my house. I heard crashing and confronted him. We squared up and I got him out the front door. I called 911 and while on the phone he came back in through the broken window. Cops came and I said he's in the bedroom but the guy had left again this time out the window. Cops caught him 2 blocks away. They arrested him on assault and burglary charges. Guy was high on something talking to himself and had no shoes on. The room he broke into was the room I'm storing all my truck parts. Looks like he didn't take anything . I'm going to take it easy today and fix that glovebox in the morning
Old 03-22-2023, 06:01 PM   #10
dsraven

wowzers, how did you fare, any skin missing? hopefully you aren't missing any truck parts. did you manage to clip the dude at all? like a reminder for him not to come back? they usually don't remember anyway, if they are on "mood enhancers".
I was a firefighter for a long time in Calgary and have dealt with lots of drug abusers. they have super human strength so best to convince them to leave, give then a route out without complications. I have seen where it takes several big burley coops and firefighters to keep a druggie down long enough to cuff them.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:52 AM   #11
popeyestruck

Quote:
wowzers, how did you fare, any skin missing? hopefully you aren't missing any truck parts. did you manage to clip the dude at all? like a reminder for him not to come back? they usually don't remember anyway, if they are on "mood enhancers".
I was a firefighter for a long time in Calgary and have dealt with lots of drug abusers. they have super human strength so best to convince them to leave, give then a route out without complications. I have seen where it takes several big burley coops and firefighters to keep a druggie down long enough to cuff them.
No never laid a hand on him just squared up and got him to go towards the front door. I really didnt know if he might have a knife or something . Doesnot look like any parts missing but the room he crashed into was full of parts, I could hear him tripping over fenders,bumpers, radiators , tailgaters and moaning as he kept falling. He went through that broken window 3 times with no shoes and never even got cut. He was high as a kite and talking to voices in his head. They charged him with 3 misdmeanors and 1 felony. No bail as of yet. Was easy for the cops to take him down he was a block away laying in the middle of the road
Old 03-23-2023, 09:49 AM   #12
dsraven

seems like you came out lucky. no personal injury or worse. parts can be fixed or replaced if needed.